Dave
wildpig1234
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 8:48:05 PM
Groups: Member

biggest crane only 7 axle. guess load not that heavy
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 9:06:38 PM

Hi Dave, thanks so much for posting, this is an excellent vid with something for everyone. A whole bunch of different train liveries, moderate Liebherr and Grove mobile cranes, a tracked crane, pipelayers, support trucks and hydraulic excavators.

Here’s the actual derailment vid: Union Pacific Bridge Train Derailment

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
JohnGalt
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 11:16:28 PM

Great coverage! Thanks for sharing the links. The cranes might not be the biggest ever, but still awesome! Boom dollies always look ridiculous, so it's good to see the cranes ditch them. Any idea why the train derailed?
DeWoc19
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 11:22:40 PM

wildpig1234 wrote:

Locomotives are the heaviest part of all that work. UP 6539 (AC4400CW) weighs 425,000 lbs and UP 9104 (SD70AH) weighs 427,000 lbs. This derailment literally just happened a few days ago

I'd guess the derailment was cause by broken rail. If those head 3 auto racks have automobiles in them all those vehicles need to go for scrap regardless of it they have any damage to them or not. If an auto rack is involved in a derailment with vehicle in them the railroad has to have them scrapped as its a liability for the auto manufacter to sell them
SDBOB
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 12:04:34 AM

Enjoyed video. Watched train derailment video initially.
DPD1
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 2:22:15 PM

ChandlerYohn wrote:
Hi Dave, thanks so much for posting, this is an excellent vid with something for everyone. A whole bunch of different train liveries, moderate Liebherr and Grove mobile cranes, a tracked crane, pipelayers, support trucks and hydraulic excavators.

One of the side benefits of all these cams being set up, has been the capture of various big work projects... New track laying, diamond replacement, and other things.

Dave
modelmaniac
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 2:53:48 PM

Definitely benefitial.I have never seen a grader with dedicated rail wheels.What is it used for?
gbarnewall
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 7:08:10 PM

Denzel on the case again

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

SDBOB
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 10:50:01 PM

I'm not 100 % sure on the grader but for years rr s had a Jordan spreader. Basically a grader and snowplow. The spreader would reach the sides of the track and make a ditch for water to drain so I'm thinking that is what grader is for plus leveling road bed when rails are replaced out in the middle of no where,no roads accessible. Its ingenious some of RR attachments. Mantis builds special RR cranes.One co. has a Cat hydraulic excavator with a winch on the chassis for rail cleanups,its below the house between the crawlers.
DPD1
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 3:33:33 AM

modelmaniac wrote:
Definitely benefitial.I have never seen a grader with dedicated rail wheels.What is it used for?

I didn't notice a grader. That machine in the first minute? That's a tie replacer.

Dave
modelmaniac
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 9:54:47 AM

Yes,I meant looks like a grader.4 wheels,with something instead of the blade.Thanks for saying it replaces tie's.It is obvious,now.LOL.
DPD1
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 1:18:45 PM

modelmaniac wrote:
Yes,I meant looks like a grader.4 wheels,with something instead of the blade.Thanks for saying it replaces tie's.It is obvious,now.LOL.

It's hard to know what all that stuff does if you;re not into rail. RR equipment is a whole different world. It would be great if somebody came out with a whole set.

Dave
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 2:29:08 PM

DeWoc19 wrote:
wildpig1234 wrote:

Locomotives are the heaviest part of all that work. UP 6539 (AC4400CW) weighs 425,000 lbs and UP 9104 (SD70AH) weighs 427,000 lbs. This derailment literally just happened a few days ago

I'd guess the derailment was cause by broken rail. If those head 3 auto racks have automobiles in them all those vehicles need to go for scrap regardless of it they have any damage to them or not. If an auto rack is involved in a derailment with vehicle in them the railroad has to have them scrapped as its a liability for the auto manufacter to sell them

Look at you, you FRN. You still out in Chicago working?

I had a derailment back in June, 13 cars on the ground and 7 were loaded autoracks like these. Mostly were F-150s, Ford actually came out and inspected the trucks that were in the wreck, deemed them ok and to part out to dealers which was odd to me. Happened around 4am and the line was reopened that night around 9pm. Two wrecking companies on site, Winter's Rigging and Zoladz Rigging & Recovery. Initially called a third (Cranemasters) out because they didn't know how substantial the wreck was but turned them around. If anyone can host the pics I can send some.
JohnGalt
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 7:38:58 PM

Good info, DeWoc. Back in high school, we had a brand new car to work on in auto shop that was donated by Chrysler, after having been in a train wreck. There was some body damage on the driver's side, but no broken glass, and everything else worked perfectly.
DeWoc19
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 12:03:37 AM

kokosing Const Co wrote:
DeWoc19 wrote:
wildpig1234 wrote:

Look at you, you FRN. You still out in Chicago working?

I had a derailment back in June, 13 cars on the ground and 7 were loaded autoracks like these. Mostly were F-150s, Ford actually came out and inspected the trucks that were in the wreck, deemed them ok and to part out to dealers which was odd to me. Happened around 4am and the line was reopened that night around 9pm. Two wrecking companies on site, Winter's Rigging and Zoladz Rigging & Recovery. Initially called a third (Cranemasters) out because they didn't know how substantial the wreck was but turned them around. If anyone can host the pics I can send some.

Nope, actually quit May 1st of last year. Just didn't want to deal with the beurocratic BS anymore and have to work 5823 hours to make 120k a year for the next year years. Sucks not seeing your kids grow up and miss every holiday and family function. Not only that but the whole PTC and 1 man crews, if the RR ever gets to see that wet dream seen through anybody with less than 15 years is gone anyways. To me it was a "writing on the wall moment" I mean look at what they did to all the car men, sold them put for pennies and their union just let them do it to. I'd be in a world of hurt right now with all this Covid and no OT, so I made my move at just the right time