RobS
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 9:47:39 PM
Groups: Member

These new trailers are fantastic!

Rob
Cat345bl
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 11:20:10 PM

Hi Rob, thanks for sharing! They do look nice, and it is great to see more trailers suited for use with the 379, T800W, CV713, and Century Sword Trucks. It will certainly be interesting to see if Weiss Bros has any future truck and/or trailers in the works.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

mariot
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 3:32:29 PM

Those drop-deck trailers are spot on. They look terrific. I am tempted to purchase one or perhaps two. Cat345bl makes a good point that is great to see more trailers suited to the American tractors he lists. And I agree with him wholeheartly, that more trailers should be released. My choices would be for a smooth-sided, aluminum tri-axle or quad-axle dump trailer and a steel tri or quad axle dump trailer models. You can see these types of trailers, also made by East, and featured on their website. Weiss Brothers, are you listening (or reading)?
modelmaniac
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 8:58:01 PM

They look really good,with loads.Do they have any suspension?
RMS Models
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 10:50:10 PM

No suspension.

Correction: Had a conversation with Milo and he assured me the step trailer did indeed have a suspension, I pushed down harder on my example and heard a pop that I can only assume was dried paint and my trailer did indeed exhibit a working suspension. Not much movement, but there is definitely a working suspension on the Weiss step deck trailer.

My apologies !!!
3406E
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 12:47:21 AM

These trailers look terrific but they don't really fit into my collection so it's doubtful I'll buy one. The lack of a functioning suspension is not a detractor for me. It's something that you never notice when a model is on display on a shelf and it's never "soft" enough to show the function in a dio as it ends up leaving one wheel or axle up in the air. Let's be honest, 99% of the time a functional suspension goes unappreciated on a model.

My Facebook page: NorCalDiecastCustoms

Clifton
Jon S
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 7:10:55 PM

They have a suspension for each axle
Quinella
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 9:26:55 PM

I don't see why they would be different than the regular flatbeds WSI did. Chuck should weigh in. CAW
RobS
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 8:53:38 AM

I'll have a closer look this weekend underneath. I'm hoping to build a 4 axle trailer out of a couple more. On the surface, the wheel cut outs on the side will be one challenge. The rest remains to be seen!

Rob
admin
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 7:18:31 PM
Groups: Administration

Hello guys - glad you like these trailers.

The story is that Sword Models had an East Drop Deck trailer tooled with TWH when they were around 10 years or so ago and the project never happened because TWH went out of business. We had a metal sample of the model in my office for years. When Weiss brothers decided to make one, they called us and we sent them our sample to use. They improved upon the original design and came up with these trailers which we think are fantastic.

These Drop Deck trailers are as detailed as the original Sword Model branded trailers. Keep in mind that WSI was never involved in making the East flatbeds or drop decks. WSI is owned by the factory that holds the Sword Model tooling which is why they were involved when we re-ran the Macks, Peterbilts and Kenworths with the Rogers lowboys.

The original East Flatbeds produced by Sword Models had blue undercarriages because East used a company who built them all in Blue. East has since moved to a different supplier and so other colors are available. I actually like the old standard Blue ones the best!

Only a few trailers were flown in by air to fill first orders. The balance of the trailers will be here in late October so get your orders in now to be first in line to get them!

Here are links to the trailers we are discussing here:

Black Undercarriage

Silver Undercarriage

Red Undercarriage

Blue Undercarriage (the best ones!)

Thanks all!

Chuck

Quinella
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 11:00:27 PM

admin wrote:

The story is that Sword Models had an East Drop Deck trailer tooled with TWH when they were around 10 years or so ago and the project never happened because TWH went out of business. We had a metal sample of the model in my office for years. When Weiss brothers decided to make one, they called us and we sent them our sample to use. They improved upon the original design and came up with these trailers which we think are fantastic.

These Drop Deck trailers are as detailed as the original Sword Model branded trailers. Keep in mind that WSI was never involved in making the East flatbeds or drop decks. WSI is owned by the factory that holds the Sword Model tooling which is why they were involved when we re-ran the Macks, Peterbilts and Kenworths with the Rogers lowboys.

The original East Flatbeds produced by Sword Models had blue undercarriages because East used a company who built them all in Blue. East has since moved to a different supplier and so other colors are available. I actually like the old standard Blue ones the best!

Only a few trailers were flown in by air to fill first orders. The balance of the trailers will be here in late October so get your orders in now to be first in line to get them!

Black Undercarriage

Silver Undercarriage

Red Undercarriage

Thanks all!

Chuck

Chuck: All that and you didn't say squat about any suspension. Randy had to tell us. You need to get out more!!!

kokosing Const Co
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 1:27:10 PM

admin wrote:

Black Undercarriage

Silver Undercarriage

Red Undercarriage

Thanks all!

Chuck

So were there definitely two samples? Because I have the other if so. Was offered some serious cash for it one time and should've taken the offer on it at the time, but I felt like it was something that was nice to have that wasn't mass produced (yet).