DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Geocean Maxcavator Options · View
Ironstef70
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2020 11:49:46 PM

Groups: Member

It's been a while since I haven't built something in 1:50, and if anyone is aware of a similar project posted here, please let me know.

Still, I had the opportunity of purchasing a cheap Cat 568 Road Builder from Diecast Masters. The model has a broken arm support due to bad packaging (no zinc rot involved) and it will be part of the major brass surgery that it was expected to have.

My project will be inspired from this machine, but not identical:

Maxcavator by Ironstef70, sur Flickr"/>

It will be white, according to Geocean livery, and I will add a long reach boom, along with all the frame tower pictured, then all the walkways, ladder and safety accessories as it is meant to be used in deep water.

Of course, the hydraulics will also be modified, but I will keep the bucket and thumb, as I purposely chose this excavator for these features.

The stripping may also eventually erase the Cat decals, as at the time, I was unsure of keeping them. They usually don't show on the Geocean excavators.

getting started by Ironstef70, sur Flickr"/>

The arm is partially completed. I used layers of 3/32" brass plate, which made for the same overall thickness than it's original die cast little bro. It needs to be wrapped up with a thinner layer of brass plate around the boom, then drilling the pivots and add hydrau hose supports.

HR Boom layers by Ironstef70, sur Flickr"/>
Hi-reach boom by Ironstef70, sur Flickr"/>

A torch and a resistance soldering unit are mandatory for that type of job, and it's been a fun start.

Next, I shall start cutting parts for the wider carriage and tower.

Stephane

Posted: Monday, March 02, 2020 3:07:03 PM

Nice project.I have only seen pics of Hitachi machines,with that configuration.Good to see a CAT.Are you going to keep that cab,as is,or are you getting another cab?
Ironstef70
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2020 4:16:52 PM

modelmaniac wrote:
Nice project.I have only seen pics of Hitachi machines,with that configuration.Good to see a CAT.Are you going to keep that cab,as is,or are you getting another cab?

No, I will keep the original, maybe do minor modifications such as adding CB antenna or such. I also chose this excavator in particular, as I like the tilting cab.

I am not yet decided if I will also kitbash the pumping unit, and do the piping job, as featured on third and fouth pictures of their website:

https://www.entrepose.com/en/geocean/our-equipment/

My unit will likely be something closer to their Super MaX. I won't exactly duplicate the prototype, as I don't have detailed pictures or blueprints, but it shall look relevant enough.

Geocean appears to use Cat machines exclusively, but if you do have pictures or links of the Hitachi machines you are referring to, I'd sure be curious to see them.

I have just noticed that Geocean is a subdivision of the Vinci group. The color scheme makes sense.

S.

Posted: Monday, March 02, 2020 4:31:01 PM

Yes! I'm excited about this. Which resistance unit do you have? I'd really like to get one in the future.
modelmaniac
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2020 4:44:00 PM

I'm pretty sure the Hitachi machines are Dutch.A lot of sea work there,or Dutch machines,and contractors in Dubai.Doesn't matter what cab,if the whole thing is raised.Just google Hitachi sea excavator,it throws up images of loads of 'special'machines,for that type of work.Jan de Nul group,operate a lot of Hitachi's,on a lot of sea defence work.Make sure you post progress pics.
Ironstef70
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2020 6:28:55 PM

Dex wrote:
Yes! I'm excited about this. Which resistance unit do you have? I'd really like to get one in the future.

I am working now, but I will send you a picture of mine unit tonight. It's an older 500W unit from American Beauty I believe. Ebay bargain: she had a bump in the back panel. No big deal: I straightened it back. Then no digital gauges and fancy stuff either: that's useless. Just old school, as my motorcycle (a speedo, lights, flashers, that's all).

I read on forums that someone with good electrical skills can build these units themselves. Recent units are not cheap.

I'll also sent you a PM later. I do have more information for you since you have such interest.

S.

Posted: Monday, March 02, 2020 6:35:28 PM

modelmaniac wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Hitachi machines are Dutch.A lot of sea work there,or Dutch machines,and contractors in Dubai.Doesn't matter what cab,if the whole thing is raised.Just google Hitachi sea excavator,it throws up images of loads of 'special'machines,for that type of work.Jan de Nul group,operate a lot of Hitachi's,on a lot of sea defence work.Make sure you post progress pics.

Thanks MM. I found some on Google under "marine excavator".

I'm also almost sure this topic has been discussed here before in some post. Oh well. Think

S.

Posted: Monday, March 02, 2020 7:55:23 PM

Your project looks great so far. Please keep posting pictures as you do this machine, we can all learn from sharing ideas.
Gregg
89cxsport
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2020 10:14:00 PM

Didn't someone on here build the Hitachi star fish excavator in model form a few years ago? This looks like an interesting build can't wait to see the final product.
Update found the link. http://forum.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=128035

Flickr Photostream
Ironstef70
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2020 12:06:07 PM

89cxsport wrote:
Didn't someone on here build the Hitachi star fish excavator in model form a few years ago? This looks like an interesting build can't wait to see the final product.
Update found the link. http://forum.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=128035

That's the one I was looking for!
The hell with Photobucket, Makes me even happier to have flushed my account with those long ago. I hated using their advertising greasy website anyways. Makes more sense to me to spend the money on tools. And most people (except me, I guess) are doing things through the social media stuff anyways.

Still, it's always a good thing to keep archives of projects we are doing on a backup :d/

Happy Flick'r user now.

And yes, I will post pictures of the completed arm soon. I shall do the drilling tomorrow evening.

S

Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 12:12:16 AM

More pictures of the boom building progress. It now needs minor touch ups and adding hydraulic lines relays, but that's it for the most part.

20200303_103013 by Ironstef70, sur Flickr"/>

Boom build by Ironstef70, sur Flickr"/>

20200304_202904 by Ironstef70, sur Flickr"/>

Slower progress to come due to work, but thanks to Dex, I shall have a 349 Cab in the mail in the meantime.

It's always cool to be able to share with other modelers on a forum. There's always opportunities to share tips or even tools or parts at times.

Stephane

Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 10:18:46 AM

Nice job.Like the reach of that boom.Underwater,over there,over here!Whatever Applause Really want to see it completed.
Ironstef70
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 10:13:17 PM

modelmaniac wrote:
Nice job.Like the reach of that boom.Underwater,over there,over here!Whatever Applause Really want to see it completed.

Whistle Me too, eventually...

Thanks for the nice comment.
S

Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 10:18:40 PM

So here is the comparison between the original forestry cab, and one from a Cat 349.

Thanks again to Dex, who offered the donor cab which, with a bit of Dremel machining to a narrower seat, the 349 cab fits on quite nicely.

Cat 349 Cab swap by Ironstef70, sur Flickr

I have also stripped the paint on the original arm, as I will repaint white to the same livery, as it will remain optional for the pump, as the bucket/thumb will be used on the long reach boom.

S.

Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2020 11:58:32 PM

I will resume with this project later also. Eh?

The LR1750 project is taking most of my time now. This one shall be next.

Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2020 1:59:25 PM

hopefully this custom doesn´t end up like moby digTeeth
Ironstef70
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2020 10:27:57 PM

catfan1212 wrote:
hopefully this custom doesn´t end up like moby digTeeth

Probably not. My best projects usually "boiled" for a while in my brain before coming to life. I shall resume with this one sometimes in 2021. In the meantime, I am getting better tools. Machining metal requires stable equipment.

S