DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Black Rat question Options · View
Gregg
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 11:58:17 PM
Groups: Member

I am looking for some education. I see, on the DHS auction, a Cat 650 Scraper made by Black Rat. I know nothing about Black Rat. Can anyone tell me about this model? Thanks.
RMS Models
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 8:47:42 AM

Black Rat Models are/were produced by Bruce Rolston in the United Kingdom, they were limited and in the higher end of the market.
Gregg
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 11:15:03 PM

RMS Models wrote:
Black Rat Models are/were produced by Bruce Rolston in the United Kingdom, they were limited and in the higher end of the market.

Thanks Randy, I knew they must be higher end just by the price.
mol
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2021 7:15:39 AM

Blackrat models are verry small series of handbuilt (full metal!) models. The models are real nice and well build. When the first blackrat models were made they (together with brass ccm and rr models) were the best scraper models on the marked. I my opinion they still are the best scrapers ever made. The blackrat and BRASS ccm scrapers are top of the marked. The Resin rr scrapers are real nice and well build to. When CCM started to make their Diecast series of the scrapers the marked for scrapers came a bit flooded with scraper models. So for many collectors the cheaper ccm die cast line became the choice to buy. That sad the blackrat models are way more high end then the CCM models. In the latest ccm models is the plastic content high but then they are also cheaper then the Blackrat ones. That said I like my blackrat scrapers and find way them better than my CCM diecast ones. I can buy some for decent prices I still buy the ones I miss from blackrat. Pricing of them is a bit difficult because thing as availability and personal feelings are factors that can influence the price. In general the price of the blackrat models are down a bit since CCM flooded the marked. For me as a scraper enthusiast there can never be to much scraper models….
Quinella
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2021 11:35:28 AM

Mol: Having never owned a Black Rat model, are they made from diecast metal? They look great, but I always assumed they were that soft white metal. CAW
Dex
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2021 9:35:23 PM

Quinella wrote:
Mol: Having never owned a Black Rat model, are they made from diecast metal? They look great, but I always assumed they were that soft white metal. CAW

I was curious about this as well. Zinc or tin/bismuth white metal?

Also, were BR models licensed by Cat? Shame they don't make models anymore, I thought their scrapers and dozers were very nice.
Brad
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2021 7:59:33 PM

They are very well done and white metall..they do seem stronger then some other white metal offerings like the Smith stuff….They came with no Cat branding applied which suggests no licensing