DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Kibri 1/87 crane models Options · View
wildpig1234
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2021 7:16:34 AM
Groups: Member

Was hoping someone can help me out with regard to 1/87 kibri crane models:

1. How much details and function do they have compared to 1/50? Are the telescoping boom sections accurate functionwise? lattice boom and sheeves working just like 1/50?
2. Material? hard plastics? metal? how detail?
3. what are you other thoughts?

I have somewhat limited desktop but sure like to have some nice crane models to play with while i work to "inspire" me.....lol.....
modelmaniac
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2021 9:56:18 AM

Having seen some of the 1/87 creations,on the Hansebube site,(German model forum)the detail and function,is basic as a Kibri model,to go with railway layout.The functions and details that are added by individual modelers is incredible.Full functions,radio control,lights,labels,liveries,etc,.There is no limit.I have often been tempted to 1/87,as it takes up half the space.The only thing is 99% of models are plastic,as its much easier to use and you can put lots of details in.
wildpig1234
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2021 12:19:10 PM

modelmaniac wrote:
Having seen some of the 1/87 creations,on the Hansebube site,(German model forum)the detail and function,is basic as a Kibri model,to go with railway layout.The functions and details that are added by individual modelers is incredible.Full functions,radio control,lights,labels,liveries,etc,.There is no limit.I have often been tempted to 1/87,as it takes up half the space.The only thing is 99% of models are plastic,as its much easier to use and you can put lots of details in.

So the model itself is plastic and with very basic functions and details and more akin to train models rather than the die cast models that we are seeing? also, are they like preformed colored parts that just need to be put together or do they need to be painted and glued together?
modelmaniac
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2021 1:05:00 PM

They are,usually,much better,in terms of functions,than specific railway models,that are just background items.They are usually,made to look like the 1/1,so they are mostly not kits.You can get a massive amount of accessories,so there is no limit to what you can change a 'base' model,into.
wildpig1234
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2021 1:39:20 PM

modelmaniac wrote:
They are,usually,much better,in terms of functions,than specific railway models,that are just background items.They are usually,made to look like the 1/1,so they are mostly not kits.You can get a massive amount of accessories,so there is no limit to what you can change a 'base' model,into.

I am trying to find a good youtube video review of a kit so i can see what it looks like.. I am thinking if it's all plastic and no weighted parts or appropriatedly weighted counterweight, then it might have problem standing up correctly?
wildpig1234
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2021 1:55:37 PM

Found a video of one being put together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0MJ9teOBeo&ab_channel=ViessmannModelltechnikGmbH

That is quite a lot more work that just reeving a hook block...lol.... There is a fair amount of details for a plastic models but still below the functionality of 1/50.
But it is def a lot of work! lol
modelmaniac
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2021 4:55:22 PM

I personally,stuck with 1/50 as,in my opinion,models are much better quality,fuctional pieces tend to last longer being metal,they are robust,some 1/87 models are very fragile.They are,a lot of work.Definitely not suitable for my fat fingers!LOL.
wildpig1234
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2021 6:23:12 PM

I used to put plastic model airplanes together a long time ago. Not quite sure if i want to go back to that again for cranes....lol... It just seems too much work.....And also the fragility!.... I have to admit kibri does have a few cool looking ones. But not sure if i want to jump into it yet...

Anyone else did one of these?
brian falcone
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2021 11:08:56 AM

I built a lot them back in the day.they aer plastic and molded in color.they need to be glued but some parts do not. I had a large truck crane model that featured Outriggers that would slide in and out. you can raise and lower the boom and it could be reaved like the prototype..the boom telescoped but care full gluing is a must. The model included metal weights that you would glue inside the body of the crane to give it stability. The steering did not work nor did the suspension I would say they were just as good as the 150th models from the late 80s and 90s
wildpig1234
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2021 3:20:16 PM

brian falcone wrote:
I built a lot them back in the day.they aer plastic and molded in color.they need to be glued but some parts do not. I had a large truck crane model that featured Outriggers that would slide in and out. you can raise and lower the boom and it could be reaved like the prototype..the boom telescoped but care full gluing is a must. The model included metal weights that you would glue inside the body of the crane to give it stability. The steering did not work nor did the suspension I would say they were just as good as the 150th models from the late 80s and 90s

Except it's quite a lot of work to glue them together....lol...Maybe I will get one to experiment and see if it's really doable for me. I just feel like it's just a little too much work....lol
wildpig1234
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2021 5:53:08 AM

Just assembled LTM 1800. Not bad for 1/87 as far as details go. Just a little too much work!

wildpig1234
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2021 5:19:33 PM

Here are some more pics with the main boom rigged. ;) it's not bad. But too fragile to play with. Also not good for playing with because the main boom is luffed with rope and A frame and not the usual nowaday hydraulic cylinders so rope gets bounce off sheaves too easily ;(

With stabilizers extended and placed on spreader plates you can do wheel free...