DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Zinc Rot Options · View
Bostonian79
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2022 1:05:59 PM
Groups: Member

what you guys Call Zinc Rot is called Dreaded Diecast Cancer This Diecast Cancer happens when the Diecast gets made wrong by Contamination I first heard of this Diecast Cancer years ago on a forum related to Diecast Muscle Cars in fact some of the American Muscle Diecast Muscle Cars made by Ertl back in the day had this exact problem and I got to see some of the photos and it was really bad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
dain555
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2022 2:25:34 PM

Yes, I had a first run First Gear Mack Granite lowboy tractor kind of disintegrate about 5 years ago!! Basically the doors fell off and the door frames fell apart then the cab came off. I was lucky to get a replacement tractor!! Other than that truck I haven't had any other issues with any of my other models!! 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Cat345bl
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2022 11:04:38 PM

I have two models in my collection that have zinc rot, one being a Anson 1/43 (1/50) Chevrolet 3500 Dually which is starting to rot on the hood, and a Grip Zechin 1/76 Cat 920 wheel loader were the bucket has rotted out.

Another one I would classify as partially having Zinc rot is the Conrad International Paystar Putzmeiser telebelt. The main boom is know to crack and break around the pivot point. You will see a lot of examples of these being sold on eBay that broken around the point. Mine is not there yet but the stabilizer mounts are starting to have stress cracks.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

dain555
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2022 3:27:59 PM

I know it's not Zinc Rot but I had an issue with the tracks on my NZG Terex mini excavator as they wound up getting brittle and breaking!! I was lucky enough to get a replacement set and they've been doing good!! I've also had tires split and come apart on other models many years ago too!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!