DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Trucks in alternate scales Options · View
mariot
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2022 1:10:42 PM

Groups: Member

There seems to be new Class 8 trucks and tractors available, but I wonder why they are coming out in scales other than in 1:50. I see 1:43, 1:64, 1:72. I collect mainly 1:50, a reasonable balance between size and detail. Any thoughts on this? I'd like to hear from other Forum members on this subject.
dain555
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2022 2:52:55 PM

It's probably so that collectors of all scales can have the same as those of us who collect 1:50. I had some 1:64 farm equipment that I would have liked to have some decent looking model trucks to go with instead of those out of scale looking things that used to be the norm. Also scales like 1:64 scale is 'S' scale and there never has been a wide range of model vehicles that weren't plastic like there is today. 1:43 and 1:72 are actually off scales like 1:50 because the closest model railroad scale is 1:48 or 'O' scale (which is often used in Lionel trains).

I know there are several groups on Facebook that are dedicated to the 1:64 scale models as well!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Cat345bl
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2022 8:59:53 PM

Diecast truck replicas are a unique market compared to other diecast sectors as the majority of the models made are for promotional purposes. When I mean promotional releases, I am not referring to promotional to the manufacturer (Mack, Paccar, Navistar) but to actual real-life fleet owners and companies. Popular manufacturers that make promotional trucks include First Gear, DCP, Tonkin, Winross (at one time time), Penjoy (at one time), Speccast, Ertl (at one time), Conrad, WSI, Sword, and Tenko who has established castings in scales including 1/64 (most popular), 1/50 (for Conrad, WSI and Tekno),1/34 (First Gear), 1/53 (Tonkin) and 1/87 (Tonkin, Hepra, Promotex, Etc) which is the norm. Most of the non-promotional models (plain colored trucks/trailers) are made in these scales above and others. I only own three promotional trucks models, one in 1/34 scale (from a local ready mix concrete supplier), and two in 1/64 (both are local truck and trailer dealerships).

I like 1/50th as well for the same reasons you have stated in your post. The diecast market in general is saturated with too many scales around O scale, and I think that most diecast produced around O scale (1/43, 1/53, and 1/55) should be consolidated to 1/50th and 1/48th scales going forward.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 09/21/23

kcmtoys
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 3:20:43 PM

I would say that Conrad came out with the first 1/50 scale class 8 trucks to compliment the construction equipment. Bob Nickenbacher (Spelling) was a Dallas-Mavis Agent near Cat in Peoria, IL. Bob was also a toy dealer in the area. He negotiated the production of the Talbert Lowboy trailer with the Mack tractor and Conrad in the early 80's. In the Conrad book, the first issue picture shows a Mack with Dallas Mavis on the door, but that model never made it to production. But, the trailer was released with Dallas Mavis on the neck and a Freightliner COE was released. Conrad Mack's, Freightliner COES, International's models are among my favorites. Norscot made two 1/50 models, a Flying "J" tanker and a W900 Kenworth with a Trailking Lowboy.

I think the 1/55 and the 1/43 scale were being made to match the model car market. There are some "smaller" 1/43 that are pretty close to 1/50, the same with 1/55. Tonkin's 1/53 was mostly a promotional model, although they did start out as 1/50 and Jack Tonkin had one of the first Caterpillar model licenses for a Cat truck.

1st Gear's 1/34 scale is a promotional model.

I/64 scale was the promotional scale (Winross, Penjoy) and of coarse now matches the Farm Toy Market. That truck market has exploded. 1st Gear is leaning more and more to that scale because of the popularity. But now, the price of the 1/64 truck model is surpassing the 1/50 scale trucks.

Diecast Masters at least is manufacturing the Western Star, Kenworth, and Peterbilt models. But, they have a heavy plastic content.

I like the WSI American trucks along with the Keystone line of A.Smith (1/48) . Too bad WSI doesn't keep the Sword line going, and come out with more manufactures! Whistle Wink

J D
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 5:06:50 PM

kcmtoys wrote:
Too bad WSI doesn't keep the Sword line going, and come out with more manufactures! Whistle Wink

Right?? It'd be great to see more KW options as well as other OEMs from WSI.

Really disappointed about the new T880 transfers from FG being in 1:64. The 5 & 3 setup is the standard around here anymore, not to mention having Rogue boxes ( made here in the NW and make probably the highest quality boxes out there ). Would love these in 1:50!