DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Paint Rash on Diecast Models (Discussion) Options · View
CAT631K
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2023 5:16:51 PM

Groups: Member

Wanted to gather other peoples opinions and experiences with paint rash on their diecast models. I've found over the years that just about all brands suffer from this to some extent. From personal experience the worst offender is definitley CCM, which I assume is due to their thinner paint that allows details to show up better in the casting. From a distance they appear fine but put them under direct lighting and you will quickly start to notice the tiny little specs in the paint. This is especially prevelent on older releases (5+ years old). Norscots are also very prone to this i've found which is suprising given their very thick paint. Obvioulsy in the grand scheme of things it is not a huge issue, but it certainly is irritating given the prices we pay for these models! Feel free to post your thoghts below!
BAH
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2023 9:01:33 PM

CAT631K wrote:
Wanted to gather other peoples opinions and experiences with paint rash on their diecast models. I've found over the years that just about all brands suffer from this to some extent. From personal experience the worst offender is definitley CCM, which I assume is due to their thinner paint that allows details to show up better in the casting. From a distance they appear fine but put them under direct lighting and you will quickly start to notice the tiny little specs in the paint. This is especially prevelent on older releases (5+ years old). Norscots are also very prone to this i've found which is suprising given their very thick paint. Obvioulsy in the grand scheme of things it is not a huge issue, but it certainly is irritating given the prices we pay for these models! Feel free to post your thoghts below!
Paint rash normally comes from the diecast “shot parts” sitting to long. Diecast is porous, if the parts sit for long periods of time without being sealed with paint moisture gets into the pours of the material. When it is finally used and painted it traps the moisture inside and over the years it eventual starts to surface which causes the paint rash.
Dex
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2023 1:55:21 PM

BAH wrote:
[quote=CAT631K]Paint rash normally comes from the diecast “shot parts” sitting to long. Diecast is porous, if the parts sit for long periods of time without being sealed with paint moisture gets into the pours of the material. When it is finally used and painted it traps the moisture inside and over the years it eventual starts to surface which causes the paint rash.

Would parts that have been stripped of paint for projects suffer this same
moisture penetration? If so, what can be done to remove the moisture and prep for paint?
Bostonian79
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2023 2:17:46 PM

I wonder if this Paint Rash is the same thing as DIECAST CANCER Diecast Cancer is made by not making the Diecast Molds Correctly The Paint First starts to come up and bam the entire Diecast piece disintegrates after that This Diecast Cancer is a Manufacturing Problem first because as I have said this happens when the Diecast molds are not made correctly Paint Rash ??????????????? you guys would know more about this than I would
dain555
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2023 6:18:15 PM

Dex wrote:
BAH wrote:
[quote=CAT631K]Paint rash normally comes from the diecast “shot parts” sitting to long. Diecast is porous, if the parts sit for long periods of time without being sealed with paint moisture gets into the pours of the material. When it is finally used and painted it traps the moisture inside and over the years it eventual starts to surface which causes the paint rash.

Would parts that have been stripped of paint for projects suffer this same
moisture penetration? If so, what can be done to remove the moisture and prep for paint?

One thing that could be done to get rid of the moisture is to put the unpainted metal parts into a low heat oven for a short time (15 minutes minimum), then what should be done is as soon as it's cool enough (maybe 10 to 15 minutes) get a primer on it!!

You have to remember that there are 2 things that cause the paint to pop!!
1) the new diecast part still has mold release on it and was never properly cleaned of the release agent
2) when paint is removed using a stripping solution the part needs to be washed thoroughly and dried thoroughly before painting!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
BAH
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2023 10:06:15 PM

Bostonian79 wrote:
I wonder if this Paint Rash is the same thing as DIECAST CANCER Diecast Cancer is made by not making the Diecast Molds Correctly The Paint First starts to come up and bam the entire Diecast piece disintegrates after that This Diecast Cancer is a Manufacturing Problem first because as I have said this happens when the Diecast molds are not made correctly Paint Rash ??????????????? you guys would know more about this than I would

Diecast cancer is sometimes cause by the factory not using new raw materials. What can happen is all the left over / faulty parts or the tooling spur the parts come of gets melted down and reused to recycle waste. Every time they get melt down again impurities get into the diecast. When this process is done over and over it effects the molecular structure of the materials which causes the diecast to break down over a period of time.
Dex
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2023 10:18:53 PM

Good info, thanks Dain.
dain555
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2023 4:17:05 PM

Dex wrote:
Good info, thanks Dain.

No problem, I know even on plastic models it's sometimes hard for paint to stick right because the plastic parts still have a coating of the release agent. So many times I've found myself giving the parts a good hot bath and rinse before painting!! Glad I could help!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!