DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Sad to see low forum participation Options · View
mariot
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2024 2:00:33 PM

Groups: Member

I'm sad. I'm a Forum member since 2008, but a collector since the early 1970s. I recall how much traffic there was here, with collectors and talented modelers sharing their models and creations, which made it fun to check out the forum on a daily basis. Today, barely a "whimper." Although now in my seventies, it is still enjoyable to see what others have in their collections, and see what talent there is by those who customize, kitbash or scrachbuild their desired items that may be unobtainable.

I know that a lot of collectors have moved on to Facebook, but the problem with that is sometimes it is difficult to find an item or post that you might have seen earlier, as posts are continually added.

Here at the Forum, there was a sense of community, which is missing from Facebook. I'm sad.

Alberta Millwright
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2024 6:47:18 PM

I pretty much moved on from this forum because it is a lot more work posting photos, not much traffic anymore and the forum changed the shortcut so now when I look up images online that were tied to DHS the link no longer works.

A Millwright..... in Alberta.
GuyM
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2024 3:34:01 AM

Mariot,

Fully in line with your comments: it's sad to see that only 4 topics (including this one) were added to this forum in the last month (where more than 20 were common in the past).

A.Millwright,

I agree with you: the "non-access" to previous pictures (still visible on various search engines) does not help. May be Chuck can help with this issue.

Regards.
Guy
giomaffy
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2024 6:42:53 AM

I have been collecting since the end of the 1980s and I had also opened a small forum, but then with the arrival of Facebook I preferred to close it. On Facebook everything is more immediate and simple and you avoid useless and contentious discussions. Personally, I find Instagram better where I have my own private profile with photos from my collection and only the people I want have access so everything remains more "familiar".
This is my experience.
Greetings.
giò

Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2024 6:08:24 PM

Yes, it's sad but there are still many of us "die hards" here!! The problem isn't so much Facebook but the expense of the hobby these days!! I remember back when I first join models were relatively cheap but as the models became more detailed with real looking metal tracks and the various other details the costs went up. I know many who were on here have had real life interfere too!! Several have sold off their collections and some have unfortunately gone to the great collection in the sky!!!!

Hopefully we can start getting new blood into the hobby because most young people don't want anything to do with collecting the models and are more interested in what their electronic devices can give them!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
BAH
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2024 9:03:16 PM

I have to agree, this forum in the past was one of the go to places for model details and discussions. I have been a member since 2010, and still have my first diecast car my father gave me back in 1969. Posting photos on the forum is time consuming in comparison to any of the social media platforms. I am sure that this forum is not the only casualty with the advancement of technology.
BAH
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2024 9:03:47 PM

I have to agree, this forum in the past was one of the go to places for model details and discussions. I have been a member since 2010, and still have my first diecast car my father gave me back in 1969. Posting photos on the forum is time consuming in comparison to any of the social media platforms. I am sure that this forum is not the only casualty with the advancement of technology.
Pascal73
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2024 4:39:50 AM

Quand il n'y a pas de réactions aux sujets, on finit par se fatiguer de mettre quelque chose. Certes FB est plus pratique pour poster des photos, l'égoïsme de nos société est le vrai fléau, chacun se replie.
Et puis si on aime voir des choses, commencez déjà par le faire vous-même.
Bonne journée

www.ec1000.net
BAH
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2024 8:31:29 PM

Pascal73 wrote:
Quand il n'y a pas de réactions aux sujets, on finit par se fatiguer de mettre quelque chose. Certes FB est plus pratique pour poster des photos, l'égoïsme de nos société est le vrai fléau, chacun se replie.
Et puis si on aime voir des choses, commencez déjà par le faire vous-même.
Bonne journée

I agree
Cat345bl
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2024 9:36:57 PM

I also agree too that is sad to see the lack of activity on here. I still try to make an attempt to reply to topics and engage in the few conversations that still go on here. I am also on 1/50 Groups on Facebook, but I still prefer the Forum as I can remain somewhat anonymous here compared to Facebook were all of your information is out there.

Another reason I believe that causes the lack of activity on here is how little 1/50th diecast releases we have now. 15-20 years ago, new diecast releases were way more frequent with quite a few models coming out to purchase every month. Now it seems like we only get repaints occasionally and all the new 1/50th construction models get announced at trade shows that occur only every 3-4 years or at Toy Fair. Even then Conexpo 2023 was quiet with releases and so was Intermat in 2024. Just think the lack of diecast releases gives us less to talk about.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 08/10/24

Quinella
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2024 4:41:32 PM

Couldn't agree more. Since I don't like Facebook, I prefer this site. It's hard to post pics though. Maybe chuck can help with that. But we need to get more guys back here and add new ones. This was once THE place to talk and show off your models. And where did all the furerners go? CAW
Rivera2171
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2024 8:52:01 AM

[REDACTED] Im relatively new to 1/50 collecting (2018) but Ive posted many threads here over the years. Mostly modifications and custom stuff. The problem here is that there is no archive. Threads just disappear. Cant go back and see stuff that was posted from even a few months ago??? Cant see anything I posted anymore, then what's the point? Right now there's like 6 thread subjects to click on? What the heck.[REDACTED]

👍
Rivera2171
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2024 8:43:34 AM

And also a lack of responses to replies.

👍
digggerr
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2024 6:49:24 PM

[quote=Rivera2171 The problem here is that there is no archive. Threads just disappear. Cant go back and see stuff that was posted from even a few months ago??? Cant see anything I posted anymore, then what's the point? Right now there's like 6 thread subjects to click on? What the heck.[/quote]

It would seem the problem is your lack of understanding of how the forum functions! Threads do not "just disappear" and it is easy to look up what you (or others) have posted over the years using the search function. Everything you have posted is still there. Regarding the number of threads displayed, the default setting is one month, but you can select the time period you want from the drop-down menu.
Rivera2171
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2024 8:55:59 AM

digggerr wrote:
It would seem the problem is your lack of understanding of how the forum functions! Threads do not "just disappear" and it is easy to look up what you (or others) have posted over the years using the search function. Everything you have posted is still there. Regarding the number of threads displayed, the default setting is one month, but you can select the time period you want from the drop-down menu.

Well hotdog! Big smile on my face. Thanks Digggerr for helping me understand how it works. I will make an effort to post more now knowing this.

👍
Quinella
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2024 6:37:16 PM

Well hotdog! Big smile on my face. Thanks Digggerr for helping me understand how it works. I will make an effort to post more now knowing this.

Yeah Rivera2171, you done stepped on "Superman's Cape". Now don't "Spit into the Wind", and please don't mess with the old Lone Ranger" Shame on you
👍
hummer13
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2024 5:43:54 PM

Hey finally got back in here, been a long time since I was able to log in. I am going to do a test to see if I remember how to post pics.

Jason

NIkl Scale Models

Dex
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2024 6:45:16 PM

I used to post in here a lot as well, but the hoop jumping of adding pictures is a pain. I don't really use Facebook at all, but I post a lot on Instagram. Also with the site getting rehosted a lot of search result links and photos are now broken and still go to the old host, so I imagine a lot of would-be newcomers think the site is broken. I do agree, this place was really something when it was in full swing.

I'll still do major updates here when I finish a project, just my current build is taking forever.

It would be nice to know who on here is also on Instagram. So we can follow each other. I know Nikl and a few others are.

Here is mine:
https://www.instagram.com/stephens_custom_models_
Jamiescotland
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2024 1:25:20 PM

Great looking crane there Jason!
I'm a member of one 1:50 construction Facebook group, but I much prefer here. I also post on Diecast Exchange, a forum for car model enthusiasts. It's a great forum and has plenty of daily activity. Photos are easy to post there though, and I think that's a main reason for the slowing down here.
Personally, I have much less disposable income now, than ten years ago, and I also have less time for modelmaking. That means I don't have much to show here, but I appreciate the posts and pictures that others put up here.
Cheers, Jamie
craig945
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2024 9:35:19 PM

Been lurking for years and getting close to retirement so now I hope I have something to contribute.