DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Definition Time... Options · View
Ryan3406b
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 10:37:24 PM

Groups: Member

I don't post much on this forum, but I read almost all the topics. I see quite a bit of topics about cranes, and how enthusiastic people are about them. I know your either a dirt guy or a crane guy, which is cool, I am a dirt guy with 1 crane, the Imex Super Crane with the lattice boom. It is a cheesy crane, but it was a.)affordable ,b.)I'm not afraid to play with it and lastly c.) moderatley detailed. With this said, I am interested in cranes a bit, but do not know a tremendous amount about them, so could someone please answer some crane part questions for me and anyone else who isn't a diehard crane guy? Eh?

What is:

a.) a luffer?

b.) a jib? (flyjib?)

c.) What does a ringer do?

d.) What is a pendant line?

e.) What is the point of a "rooster tip"?

Be Prepared
zzzz DELETED 93236
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:05:00 PM

Ryan4x wrote:
I don't post much on this forum, but I read almost all the topics. I see quite a bit of topics about cranes, and how enthusiastic people are about them. I know your either a dirt guy or a crane guy, which is cool, I am a dirt gut with 1 crane, the Imex Super Crane with the lattice boom. It is a cheesy crane, but it was a.)affordable ,b.)I'm not afraid to play with it and lastly c.) moderatley detailed. With this said, I am interested in cranes a bit, but do not know a tremendous amount about them, so could someone please answer some crane part questions for me and anyone else who isn't a diehard crane guy? Eh?

What is:

a.) a luffer?

b.) a jib? (flyjib?)

c.) What does a ringer do?

d.) What is a pendant line?

e.) What is the point of a "rooster tip"?

http://science.howstuffworks.com/hydraulic-crane2.htm

A

it essentially turns the crane into a derrick ,it offers height and radius /sometimes more lifting capacity than on main boom. it moves indepently of the main boom via a seperate winch called the luffing winch or auxillary hoist

B

its also called a lattice extension
again it offers height/ radius how ever it moves with the main boom and is always live

C
allows for more counter ballast and boom configurations offering more lifting capacity .

http://www.manitowoccranegroup.com/MCG_MC/Products/SP/Range_Attachment.asp

D
its the wire rope that attaches the boom head to the bridle on mose conventional cranes (some use steel bars), also its what attaches the head of the luffer to the luffing mast .its what a layman may call a guywire

E
the rooster tip ,rooster head,auxillary head sheave,spout,

just allow for another line to be run over the top seperate of the main hoist ,it can accomodate two line operation ,turn an object ,or to use the crane for other task when the main hoist is reeved up .

it just adds another hoist line to the crane
Ryan3406b
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:11:53 PM

Holy smokes....That is a heck of a reply, I thought most of the crane guys would laugh at this topic. Thank you very much liebherr1160 for posting that info,(and the pics =) now I understand a lot more about crane components. Think

Be Prepared
CheeseHead
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:15:59 PM

Most, if not all cranes can only turn around 360 degrees 8X or they will unscrew right off the carbbody. I'm sorry, I was only joking. Liebherr1160 took my thunder.
zzzz DELETED 93236
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:16:43 PM

Anytime

others may offer different opinions
but thats as basic as i could make it without getting out the calculator,sexton and slide rule

you'll get a better idea once you get your hands on it ,the concepts well become all the more real

so go by a bunch of big cranes and post lots of picsTeeth
zzzz DELETED 93236
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:19:39 PM

CheeseHead wrote:
Most, if not all cranes can only turn around 360 degrees 8X or they will unscrew right off the carbbody. I'm sorry, I was only joking. Liebherr1160 took my thunder.

i did that with a 700E

the set screws backed of on the elecrical post and it twist out all the electrical

mid swing on a steel erection at an airport under a height restriction ,with the permit running out, i got a dead stick .
it got interesting really quick
Dirtman2007
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:27:27 PM

CheeseHead wrote:

wow! It only takes 4 complete 360 swings in the same direction on an excavator before it comes off....

I just learned alot about cranes, thanks liebherr1160

Chris

To see our equipment in action:

http://ca.youtube.com/user/letsdig18
Ryan3406b
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:28:33 PM

Ohh boy, I thought you were kidding cheesehead! Thats crazy, I run Backhoes, loaders and excavators, so I know my way around equipment, but I only understood the very fundamentals of cranes. I didn't know that a luffing jib even moved, nevermind it could increase the lifting capacity a bit!Eh? Thanks again guys!

Be Prepared
dr501
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 1:17:15 PM

Was it 4.. or 5..I bet he forgot when the bucket hit the box and his nose hit the window
lol d'oh! Whistle

www.langtool.com
www.langlandclearing.com
www.prolec.co.uk/index.php
“Disclaimer: the views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of any official agency.or said above

The bearer of bad news on a new site, the HYDRO-AX guy

CheeseHead
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 1:20:30 PM

Wow, my joke comes true. Count your revolution boys and girlsd'oh!
dr501
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 11:04:00 AM

lol cheesehead! i found it in DHS accidents pics a while ago so i dug it up thought it fit the joke. I'll tell ya that WOULD BE SCARY! i had a boom "A"frame bust on a totalchiparvester and let the boom flop over that was bad enough.

www.langtool.com
www.langlandclearing.com
www.prolec.co.uk/index.php
“Disclaimer: the views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of any official agency.or said above

The bearer of bad news on a new site, the HYDRO-AX guy