DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

How to motorize a CC8800? Options · View
craneman
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 4:17:00 PM

Groups: Member

Hello all,

I am looking to motorize my CC8800 or my 18000. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find the motors and controllers. I know YCC used to do a LR1750, but I would like to know where a guy can get do it yourself parts.

craneman
cranedude07
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 4:18:30 PM

I would also love to motorize my 18000

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
Bobm2004
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 4:53:17 PM

Groups: Member , Moderator

I could see doing the CC8800 as you have a great housing to place motors and electronics. Radio shack has real small motors, but your best bet is going to be an radio controlled car store. Radio, speed controllers 4 way receivers, I would guess your looking at $600 plus for the radio and controllers needed!

Bob
Bobs Cranes

Come Over To The Lift Side . . . . . . . We Have Cookies!!!!
craneman
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:10:44 PM

Some time back there was a post on here where a guy did a motorized 8800 I'm thinking at least 2+ yrs back. What I'm looking for is what type of motors and speed controllers etc that I am going to need. I would like to use actual r/c remote control for the joysticks as opposed to toggle switches as in the YCC model.

If I remember correctly, the motors were actually used as the winch drum. I agree the 18000 would be more difficult as the house is a little small for the swing motor. Keep the posts commin with info....

craneman
Tim Clamp
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:19:01 PM

I have looked into this, I will try and find the information I sorted, the motors fit inside the winch drums, but I made my own out of aluminium. I only got as far as making a sample, I will try and take a few photos.

Tim Clamp
dirtboy
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:37:46 PM

I would start with Ebay for some of the electronics. There are alot of companies that offer 3-4 and even 5 channel radios for a fair price. Traxxas makes a 2.4 4 channel that can usually be found very cheap on Ebay. Your next issue is either motors or high torque servos which you need to mod so there are no stops. I would check out this site to get an idea. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9 It's a RC crawler site, but I think it would be the a good place to start. Crawlers have to have good torque and smooth roll on to navigate courses. Lots of them now have multi channels for scale winches, rear steer and diff lock/unlock. And since you dont have alot of space all the time, many are the electronics are becoming "micro" sized at very reasonable price. You can find info on lathe motors (Lathe motors offer high torque and smooth operation) and high torque servos as well as ESC's (electronic speed controls) that will give you the smooth strength needed for a crane. .Depending on how much you wanted to motorized it will obviously dictate how much you spend. Good luck with it.

A couple links to radios just for an idea...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-TQ3-2-4-GHz-Radio-System-w-4-Channel-Micro-Rec_W0QQitemZ350300809946QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item518f8e2ada
http://cgi.ebay.com/Metal-Gear-Micro-Servo-High-Speed-Good-Torque-MG90S_W0QQitemZ250552838259QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a561ce873
Buyer beware and do your own homework on what you would actually need, but there is alot out there that could make it fairly easy for someone with some patience and skill.

Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years.

dirtboy
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:56:25 PM

Just to clarify a bit on using servos versus motors. There are posts on how to modify your servo on the RC Crawler website so that it will run endlessly in either direction.(like a motor) Using a servo gives you a huge mechanical advantage over a plain motor as it already has gearing (a transmission essentially) to work in your favor. I guess if i was setting it up I would use high torque servos on all the boom rigging and use a geared lathe motor for the mainline. But that's coming from a dirt guy so be carefull..........Anxious

eef7260
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 6:00:58 PM

Have a look over here it's been done already.

Just under the flag there is a link.

As far as i can remeber he was selling kits for this as well but i can not find that anymore.
I could be wrong or he stopped selling it , but you can always send him a mail

Eef

***Flickr American cranes group***3D printed crane parts at I.materialise

craneman
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 6:13:33 PM

Hello Eef,

I sent him an e-mail and eagerly await a response.

I will keep you all posted. In the mean time I am researching the other avenues posted here.

craneman.
eef7260
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 6:15:56 PM

Lotsacrane
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 6:29:53 PM

Bobm2004 wrote:
I could see doing the CC8800 as you have a great housing to place motors and electronics. Radio shack has real small motors, but your best bet is going to be an radio controlled car store. Radio, speed controllers 4 way receivers, I would guess your looking at $600 plus for the radio and controllers needed!

Actually Bob ..The RC gear is the easy part ..

Gearhead motor's 48 RPM @ 7.5 Vdc @ 21 mA. 17mm diameter x 50mm long (excluding shaft). 3mm diameter x 8mm long flatted shaft. Solder lug terminals. . $29.95 Ea.

Radio System 6 Channel surface 75Mhz

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCJG9**&P=0

Speed contoller's ....reversable ..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMMP7&P=7

Q-Ball a wolf in Jesus skin ---the sorcerer of reasonable commentary

I smile & wave

Sometimes I think life is just a rodeo,
The trick is to ride and make it to the bell.

dirtboy
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 6:42:19 PM

Lotsacrane wrote:

Speed controllers ..one per hoist

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMMP7&P=7

Small gear head motors

These are 48 RPM @ 7.5 Vdc @ 21 mA. 17mm diameter x 50mm long (excluding shaft). 3mm diameter x 8mm long flatted shaft.

Honest question, but why run one ESC per hoist? One decent ESC could handle the whole operation and still give you finite control. Seems like alot of useable space could be taken up by multiple ESC's if you only need one. Nice gear head motors-any torque specs on them?

Lotsacrane
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 6:53:34 PM

One Channel per ESC ..forward or reverse ..
The ESC doesn't have the capability to know what channel you are demanding to control what motor..

Even in my boats ..I have to run two ESC's to get separate control of each motor and it chews two channels ..

Which is why I often just run both motors to one ESC ...both ahead or both reverse..

(Spec's)No there's not ..but in the back of my head there well be multiple part reeving ..If i find some I'll post it ..

I have a little Gear head that i got out of a a kids toy that isn't much larger at all than that ..it turns 36 rpm ..and at 3 volt i cant hold it back between my fingers ..

Here's a web link to the page
http://www.73.com/a/0184.shtml

Here's more

and a link ..
http://www.techmax.com/small-electric-motors/

Or just Google ..

Small Gearhead Motors

I smile & wave

dirtboy
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 10:46:20 PM

Lotsacrane wrote:
One Channel per ESC ..forward or reverse ..
The ESC doesn't have the capability to know what channel you are demanding to control what motor..

Even in my boats ..I have to run two ESC's to get separate control of each motor and it chews two channels ..

Which is why I often just run both motors to one ESC ...both ahead or both reverse..

Makes sense. Wasnt thinking of running more than 1-2 CH at a time. Cool site...lots of nice small parts.

RowanH
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 3:43:48 AM

Try posting here -> http://www.gardentruckingforum.com/YaBB.pl These guys will be able to give you a good idea of where to start.

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

lkuretich
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 9:56:11 AM

Hey,

I have been thinking of doing this very thing for a couple of years. I plan on falling back on my model railroad hobby and using locomotive motors. A person could set one up with a DCC control system and have the availability of multi functions as well as reversing capabilities. This type of motor can be purchased at Micro-Mark, some have shafts on either end.

Larry
Lotsacrane
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 7:17:50 PM

lkuretich wrote:
Hey,

I have been thinking of doing this very thing for a couple of years. I plan on falling back on my model railroad hobby and using locomotive motors. A person could set one up with a DCC control system and have the availability of multi functions as well as reversing capabilities. This type of motor can be purchased at Micro-Mark, some have shafts on either end.

Larry

The loco motors would work ..
The idea behind using a gearhead motor is it would eliminate the need for a brake ..the inertia and friction of the gears would be enough to stop and hold the line...

There is a way to mount the drum so the gearhead fits inside it to reduce the amount of space it requires..

I smile & wave

Lotsacrane
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 7:19:37 PM

craneman wrote:
Hello all,

I am looking to motorize my CC8800 or my 18000. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find the motors and controllers. I know YCC used to do a LR1750, but I would like to know where a guy can get do it yourself parts.

craneman

And here's a link to some schematics ...You'll get a better idea what you need ..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783582

I smile & wave

CC8800twin
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 9:02:57 PM

You could buy one too from Azcrane