DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

American S-60 Stiffleg Derrick.... not your average bear! Options · View
eef7260
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 7:01:03 AM

Groups: Member

Found the source from some pictures.
Green Bank Telescope
Ont he bottom of the page go to Earlier Construction Photos , 6 pages pictures.

Eef

***Flickr American cranes group***3D printed crane parts at I.materialise

Tanstaafl
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 11:15:21 PM

JohnGalt wrote:
Here are a couple more things built with derricks. Sorry I couldn't get the pictures to show here, but the links should work.
John Hancock Building, Chicago
Sears Tower, Chicago
Sears Tower, Chicago
Pictures from the C. William Brubaker collection on Flickr.

Nice to see some of the American Bridge Derricks.

We are going to bring up one of American Bridge's S1 derricks and going to barge mount it on about 150' of tower. Should be fun having a rig on site that is older than the vast majority of the people on the job!

While they aren't production rigs you can definitely get some work done with those things.
CraneInnovation
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 12:23:29 PM

Tanstaafl wrote:
JohnGalt wrote:
Here are a couple more things built with derricks. Sorry I couldn't get the pictures to show here, but the links should work.
John Hancock Building, Chicago
Sears Tower, Chicago
Sears Tower, Chicago
Pictures from the C. William Brubaker collection on Flickr.

Nice to see some of the American Bridge Derricks.

We are going to bring up one of American Bridge's S1 derricks and going to barge mount it on about 150' of tower. Should be fun having a rig on site that is older than the vast majority of the people on the job!

While they aren't production rigs you can definitely get some work done with those things.

What project is that? Tappan Zee?

They used them on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge as the main cranes servicing the bascule piers. Seemed to work quite well and they sure were awesome to look at when driving past.

The fundamental aim....is to do everything that is attempted in a first-class way."
-Pierre S. Dupont
Tanstaafl
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:54:07 PM

CraneInnovation wrote:

They used them on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge as the main cranes servicing the bascule piers. Seemed to work quite well and they sure were awesome to look at when driving past.

Yep. We are still trying to decide if we can get away with just one or if we'll need two of them. At the rate we are acquiring cranes on this job we are turning into a sort of Noah's Ark for cranes. We just keep getting pairs of every make and model
CraneInnovation
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 2:21:11 PM

Tanstaafl wrote:
CraneInnovation wrote:

Yep. We are still trying to decide if we can get away with just one or if we'll need two of them. At the rate we are acquiring cranes on this job we are turning into a sort of Noah's Ark for cranes. We just keep getting pairs of every make and model

I'm failing to see the problem here. That's an easy one....when you have the rare chance to get a stiffleg on the job, of course you get two!

I wish I had more chances to drive past. You guys are probably going to create an artificial shortage of heavy marine cranes in the Northeast for a while... I heard a similar thing happened with heavy Manitowoc crawlers when they built the Providence Place Mall.

The fundamental aim....is to do everything that is attempted in a first-class way."
-Pierre S. Dupont
Tanstaafl
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 10:04:40 PM

CraneInnovation wrote:
Tanstaafl wrote:
CraneInnovation wrote:

I'm failing to see the problem here. That's an easy one....when you have the rare chance to get a stiffleg on the job, of course you get two!

I wish I had more chances to drive past. You guys are probably going to create an artificial shortage of heavy marine cranes in the Northeast for a while... I heard a similar thing happened with heavy Manitowoc crawlers when they built the Providence Place Mall.

The only issue with getting two derricks is that the mobilization cost and monthly rental is really, really expensive!

With three major bridge projects going on in the NYC area (Tappan Zee, Bayonne, and Goethals) there is definitely really strong demand for marine cranes. Most of our heavy lift rigs are Traylor Bros (we've got just about everything in Traylor's fleet up here). We've had several marine companies tell us that we are pretty much stripping the north east of rental barges and raising rates for everyone!

If you do get a chance to drive past stop down by the Tarrytown Metro North train station. There is a park down there and we're working maybe 500-750 feet from the shoreline.
RI CRANEMAN
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 10:50:52 PM

Quote:

When the Providence Place Mall was being built, it was the largest steel erection project in New England. Capco had, I believe four or five M-2250s working there. I took this photo:

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you start to see every problem as a nail. Abraham Maslow
JHart
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 2:03:21 PM

Capco only erected the Nordstrom's portion of Providence Place, closest to the Statehouse. The rest was done by American Bridge, using four M-250's and two 888's from Marino and Hallamore. Marino's 4100 Ringer Series 2 was also on site for a while, too.
plunjk
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 3:23:18 PM

Derricks are actually significantly less mobilization cost, freight cost, and rental cost than comparable capacity crawlers or hydros. Well, at least our derricks are...
CraneInnovation
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 4:03:16 PM

RI CRANEMAN wrote:
Quote:

When the Providence Place Mall was being built, it was the largest steel erection project in New England. Capco had, I believe four or five M-2250s working there. I took this photo:

RI CRANEMANE, do you have any more pictures from this job? My uncle was a superintendent on it when I was pretty young, and I got to visit the site once. It was my first time ever seeing BIG crawler cranes. I was there when erection was in full swing with the four M250's and 2 888's....what a sight that was.

JHart, that 4100 Ringer was one of the original designs, correct? I have a picture of it somewhere that my uncle gave me and it doesn't look like the more common later design.

plunjk, that would have been my instinct....that a stiffleg derrick would be cheaper than a crawler. Do you have a ballpark percentage for how much less they usually are?

-Pierre S. Dupont
plunjk
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 4:46:20 PM

Not to totally weasel out of an answer, but it does depend on the application, length of the job, site conditions, etc... And, also to be fair, there are some engineering and foundation costs that go into the erection and installation of a stiffleg. But, at the same time, its not like you are just going to plop an 18000 Maxer anywhere you want without some site prep, cribbing, boring and soil samples, etc...

The other thing that makes it difficult to compare is that you can get a stiffleg to a lot of places where you can't get a crawler or a hydro. So, its quite often you can do the same job with an 80 ton capacity derrick that would take a 600 ton crawler (or bigger) because capacity isn't the true issue, its being able to reach it. So, its not exactly an apples to apples kind of comparison in many cases.

All that being said, a rental could be anywhere from 30% cheaper, 50% cheaper, or even 80% cheaper. Sorry for being so wishy washy, just a lot of different things in the mix.
Tanstaafl
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 10:16:32 PM

plunjk wrote:
Not to totally weasel out of an answer, but it does depend on the application, length of the job, site conditions, etc... And, also to be fair, there are some engineering and foundation costs that go into the erection and installation of a stiffleg. But, at the same time, its not like you are just going to plop an 18000 Maxer anywhere you want without some site prep, cribbing, boring and soil samples, etc...

The other thing that makes it difficult to compare is that you can get a stiffleg to a lot of places where you can't get a crawler or a hydro. So, its quite often you can do the same job with an 80 ton capacity derrick that would take a 600 ton crawler (or bigger) because capacity isn't the true issue, its being able to reach it. So, its not exactly an apples to apples kind of comparison in many cases.

All that being said, a rental could be anywhere from 30% cheaper, 50% cheaper, or even 80% cheaper. Sorry for being so wishy washy, just a lot of different things in the mix.

You are right that it is definitely not an apples to apples comparison. Derricks and crawlers while doing the same thing definitely take a different approach to it.

The one reason our mobe and rental cost is so high is that we are barge mounting it on around 150' of tower. So it's not as simple as slapping up the mast and legs. There's not much out there that can do what we needed for deck panels that you can barge mount. About the only thing I could find was a 4600 or 888 ringer with 360'+ of stick. Those aren't cheap either, nor are there a lot of them just sitting around waiting to be rented.
plunjk
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 10:41:53 PM

What is the capacity of the AB derricks that are going on towers?

And yes barge mounted on towers is a different ball game all together. Plus it's New York where nothing costs less than absurd.

We have a couple of S50s (225 ton cap) with 165' adjustable towers for future reference. 4600 ringer too.

RI CRANEMAN
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 1:45:05 PM

Jon, I stand corrected!!! My old memory is fading fast.

Jim, I scanned that image from a 35mm photo. I have somehow lost the other scans I once had,sorry. I did manage to find another photo from American Bridge showing girder placement at the mall.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you start to see every problem as a nail. Abraham Maslow