DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

1:25th CAT 375L (Update: January 20th 2015) Options · View
RowanH
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 4:04:08 AM

Groups: Member

Thanks Sal....... another small update with the linked tracks. The first set of tracks are currently sitting outside drying from their first coat of paint Smiley

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

RowanH
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2008 1:52:05 AM

Well time for bit of an update. I added edge lining to the boom and stick and did some final sanding before paint. Paint! The undercarriage is now painted and the first set of tracks are too but I haven't set them on there yet. I also got the chance to spray the first coat of primer on the body, bucket, boom and stick. Starting to look more and more like the actual machine now. Nothing is glued in place yet as I still have a lot of little details to add to each part before it gets it final shot of primer and finishing paint. I just hope that by the time its ready for its final coat of paint, the weather will be nice enough to allow me to do so. I still have to build an interior, add a lot of small details to the body and engine cover, use a lot of filler, build the hydraulic hose crowd for the body, run all the hydraulic lines and build the sidestep walkways and grab rails. Anyhow, pictures....

Thanks for looking,

Rowan.

Kevin Bridle
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2008 3:02:52 AM

Nice one Rowan, really good thread, will nice when you complete it, looking forward to more updates
regards
kevin.
RowanH
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2008 3:22:59 AM

Thanks Kevin, you were building a large P&H mining model from memory and it was looking amazing! How is that coming along?

I'm just planning out the hydraulic pathways for the boom at the moment and was wondering if anyone could explain to me why there are 3 hoses that run to the boom cylinder and only 2 for the stick cylinder?

Thanks,

Rowan.

Kevin Bridle
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2008 7:55:41 AM

Hi Rowan,
Can,t claim that, my brother Mark has finished his P&H 1900Al at 1/12 scale, I just have my RC Leimbach 1/16 Leibherr 922, busy working on our houses so modelling taking a back seat at the moment.

Keep up with the updates.

regards
kevin
renaultman
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2008 8:42:35 AM

The three pipes going to the boom cylinders, is one of the pipes much smaller than the other two, and dose it go into the top of the cylinder rod. If the answer is yes to both questions it sounds like an auto-lube system pipe. If it's not this then Think Cant wait too see here finished. Looks amazing.

todd s
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2008 9:56:08 AM

There are 3 hoses going to the dipper/stick (what ever you call it in your part of the world) cylinder. This is common on large-er machines. Some 245's had the same thing. Basically it is to permit more hydraulic flow to the dipper cylinder when crowding the dipper. The pumps can cram more fluid in into that side of the cylinder faster. Basically you have two hoses instead of one large one. On large mining excavators some have 4 lines running to a cylinder.
RowanH
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2008 8:14:18 AM

Sorry for the lack of updates however I have been extremely busy with work recently. I have holidays coming up soon so I will be able to get a lot done. I have glued in the initial hydraulic lines, bought some new hydraulic hosing, cut the boom cylinder and built the hydraulic hose housing but thats about it since the last update.

For a while now I have been looking for a seat/interior from another model to donate to my 375. I don't mind building the pedals, levers etc however I don't think i would be able to build a realistic seat. For a while I thought about using the seat from the Norscot CAT GP25N forklift however while browsing a local toy store the other night, I came across this....

From the kids kit (AUD $30) I managed to salvage a seat and an operator from the wheeled excavator toy. I bought it believing that it looked about the right size to fit. After getting it home and dealing with about 5 minutes worth of wire ties and plastic plugs, I managed to rescue the operator and seat. Don't worry about the paper boom decal, just resizing.

I was surprised and pleasantly pleased with how well he fit in the machine however I am still not 100% convinced that I want an operator sitting in the machine. I liked the idea initially however every single other model I have collected over the years is as is, without the operator. Thoughts?

Rowan.

RMS Models
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2008 10:15:34 AM

RowanH,

I like the idea of an operator in the cab, go for it !

Randy M. Smolenack
RMSmodels@aol.com
randy.m.smolenack@us.army.mil
bigcranes
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:12:11 AM

RowanH,

That is a beautiful project, I enjoy following this post. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Mark

Mark L.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts
caucasianaasian
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 11:32:51 AM

Rowan,
That 375 is looking grouse!!! When you finish you will have something to be really proud of sitting in your collection.....or in mine if you are in a selling mood! Teeth
Cheers,
Craig

The Caucasianaasian

CAT 328D LCR
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 11:40:05 AM

Looking good Rowan!
RowanH
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2008 2:46:01 PM

Thanks Randy, I'm definitely keeping the little fella in there. Mark, I'm, glad you are enjoying the thread, I'm loving building this thing. Craig, sorry mate, I think this one has a bit of sentimental value as It's my first however I have already planned my next few, I have a wireless 1/25 R/C CAT D11T currently in the works and I have all the plans all scaled out for a Hitachi EX750-5, again in 1/25.

I'm on 2 weeks holidays now and I hope to finish it off.

PS. I found this the other day, looks like I'm not the first to build a 375 in 1/25th haha, great looking machine!

What I do need is some ideas of how a 375 is transported fully assembled? I only have this one image..... any other configurations that are common around your area? Is it possible to haul a 375 on an 80 tonne trailer without a dolly? I know bugger all about trailers haha.

This was the model that got me building originally, this R/C CAT 375.

Rowan.

caucasianaasian
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 3:24:32 AM

Rowan,
Mate, if you are ever planning on building and selling a similar scale excavator, please let me know....especially if it is from a Japanese manufacturer like Hitachi. I would be very keen.
On another note, the photos you posted of the other 1/25 scale machines are interesting, especially the R/C stuff. Do you know any info regarding these?....were they scratch built or was there some kind of kit floating around?
Cheers,
Craig

The Caucasianaasian

Jim_sparky
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 8:16:24 AM

Rowan,

You need a Dolly to shift 80ton. You will also need a 3x8 Drop Deck Swinging Trailer. YOu have 3 Axles with 8 tyres on each axle.

Regards
James Muldoon
From the Land Down Under
RowanH
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:32:02 AM

Hi Craig, sorry I didn’t respond earlier, must have missed your post. I have scaled up plans for a CAT 385CL and an early Hitachi EX750. I would love to build a few large excavators in the 70-90 ton range however time will tell.

Unfortunately I don’t know anything about the other machines as I saved them from foreign forums many years back. I do however know that the last 2 pictures are of the same machine and it was scratch built. It appears that the top one was also scratch built but I can’t be sure.

James, cheers mate! Looks like I’ve just added another thing to my list of to build projects. Do you or anyone else have images of a similar setup as you described?

Rowan.

RowanH
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:32:57 AM

Well, time for an update! The weather is finally coming good down under so I can continue with priming and painting. I’m currently on 2 weeks holidays from work so I have a fair bit of time to get going on this again. As complete as it looks, the ‘to do’ list is still a mile long with minor details so I can see this still taking some time before I call it finished.

The only major update since my last post is obviously the attachment of the LHS undercarriage track pads. After many, many hours fiddling with wire linkage and other small details to allow the tracks to oscillate, I finally gave up and went with the static glued approach. While it would have been nice to have them functioning, I decided that it was going to take way too much delicate work and a complete rebuild of all the track linkage parts. I’m happy with the way this side came out anyway.

As you can see, the strong hold of the glue has clouded the paint on the undercarriage but nothing an extra coat of paint wont fix. I was also slightly concerned with the gaps between the pads as it isn’t terribly realistic however overall, I think it looks pretty good. There simply was no easy way for me to get the pads to rotate around the drives without gaps.

All body pieces are still loosely sitting on the frame as I want to paint before attaching the pieces so there is some bad fitment in parts. Putty filler is my friend! Haha

As always, a shot with the Joal 1/50th scale CAT 375 for comparison. The last shot also has my security guard in the background, Muddy.

Thanks for looking,

Rowan.

LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 9:25:07 PM

That is lookin Awesome Rowan all your hard work is definitely is paying off in realism !Cool

Chet

I live in my own little world it's ok they know me here
RowanH
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:56:19 PM

RowanH
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 5:55:01 PM

I apologise for the very long, lack of updates... it's an age old story, work took over. I'm now on holidays (5 weeks) and hope to finish the 375.. however... I said the exact same thing last year.

Christmas was very kind to me this year and I got a rotary tool kit. Not a Dremmel however I got something very similar, probably better for my needs in the long run. Wall lead which is what I wanted, I'm slow and work for hours on 1 part + more fittings that I have any idea what to do with. Variable speed, 150 finishes and a flexi shaft converter.

I really wish I had one of these two years back! So many hours with hand saws and hand files. The blisters... oh the blisters! So much blood and so many band-aides. I sound like a sook but I promise you, I've shed my more-than-needed blood over this 'bugger', including 1 incident with a saw and 7 stitches.

Anyhow, I'm sorry for the really low quality phone pics however I set the thing up and thought you guys might like some pictures. There is little progress since the last shots however I hope that progress is quick from here. - Not likely keeping the detail parts in mind.

The later pictures show the ruler, it's 24 in long. The 375 is 22 in in the curled arm, position. approx 31 fully stretched.

Anyhow, on with the pictures!....

PS. Like my classy backdrop? White A4?

PS. I still have a Kenworth W900L in 1:25th R/C scale that i'm looking to build a hauler trailer with. Almost every fully built 375 on a trailer I have seen has needed a dolly and 4 axels behing the machine, many with stingers... Whats going on here?..... Surely that's atleast 70 tonnes? It's full with CW minus stick/bucket.?!?!

Rowan.