DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

1:25th CAT 375L (Update: January 20th 2015) Options · View
RowanH
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2010 4:55:07 PM

Groups: Member

Cheers Martin, I think that I have hoarded and used materials from some of the strangest places ever, to build my CAT... even asked my sister for jewelry parts.... Today I bought fish sinkers for parts, use whatever you can!

Anyway, I have toyed with the idea of detachable hoses for a long time, but I think that my model will be stationary for a while so I want to glue the hoses to the hydraulic pluming. I currently plan to prime 3 coats and paint 4, I'll glue the aluminum fittings last.

I have loved the fact that GRADCO (Artic Hauler on DHS) takes enough pride in his machines to name them. Rocky, Bulky etc... They are all pristine... more pics here - > http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=121784

So, name my 375L.....

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

janh
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2010 5:14:53 PM

I used a similar method to build the cylinder for my 385c model.One thing I like to mention is that You should fix the O-rings on the piston so they cannot move anymore.Otherwise it might happen they fall off from the piston.And once the cylinder is closed you won´t have any chance to fix this again.So I put a small piece of alumnium tube in front and behind the rubber and fixed it with glue.

And also I have made hydraulic couplings:

Basically this is a plastic rod that is plugged into these alumnium tubes that have a widened end on one side.I don´t know what these are called in english.

What do You think,is Your 375 a boy or a girl? Cool

Jan

RowanH
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2010 5:18:08 AM

Jan, thanks for the input. As one of the most experienced builders on the site, I really appreciate it! I will definitely stick the O rings. Those hydraulic hoses look perfect. PS, I see it as a she but I'm just looking for a good name. Cool

Rowan.

RowanH
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:44:26 AM

Hi all. Not much of an update but I thought I would keep everyone in the loop. I've been on holidays from work recently and the last few days have been perfect weather for painting. I've tied up a few loose ends such as hand rails, walkways and finalised the hydraulics (cutting the cylinders, adding the O-rings and capping the mounting ends). I worked more on the final fitment of pieces by filing and sanding a few more edges, I'm happy how they are sitting unglued at the moment. The only construction I need to work on now is the cylinder mounts, brackets and rods, the hydraulic hoses and the final decals.

Here she sat yesterday morning, I had to take to her with a lightly powered air gun to dust her off.

The hydraulics getting ready for primer.

The bucket getting it's first layer of CAT top coat.

Anyway, I don't have too much more at the moment but I'll have more pictures tomorrow night. It's really on the home stretch now. She's currently dismantled again and all parts have had 2 heavy coats of primer and some parts have had their first top coat. On most parts, 2 top coats should be enough, the paint goes on pretty thick.

Who knows, it might be 99% done by the weekends end. However, I recall saying something similar a number of years ago haha.

Rowan.

linkbelt290rb
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:31:29 AM

Cool

Nothing runs like a deere with a cat on its back but the link belt ate both of them

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:38:17 AM

Talented very talented. Are you a tool maker by trade Rowan ? Excellent build.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

RowanH
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:30:36 PM

Cheers guys. FiatAllisHD41, ha, no, far from it. I've just been very patient and spent A LOT of time on it. My work is far from the quality of a machinist. Cheers for the compliment though, very flattering.

Rowan.

RowanH
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 6:31:41 AM

Some more work from today, not as much progress as expected. I've decided to let the top coat of paint dry for an extra day between coats to get a better finish.

Masking off, of the upperstructure, gives you a good idea of what it will look like with the black....

Top coat goes on some more parts...

Now we play the waiting game...

Rowan.

RowanH
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:44:59 AM

Hi all, good and bad news. There has been progress on the model however the CAT high gloss black bled quite badly into my masking, especially on the cab and rear engine cover (which I spend hours doing, to ensure it didn't!) Looking back on it, I probably went too heavy with the second coat of black. Disappointing after the time I have put into it, however it's not a complete disaster, it's just going to take a lot of time with touch ups to correct the mistakes. I'm going to have to look into what will be the best option with touch ups, a small brush vs re-masking and painting. Anyway, I'll figure it out Confused

I still have to... Glue the body parts to the frame, fix the body paint d'oh! paint the slew ring, exhaust and repaint the undercarriage, build the rear view mirror, body hand rails, put the cab windows in, mount the hydraulics, , cut new mounting rods, build the locking pins, add the hydraulic hoses and fittings and finally apply the decals. The list is shortening!

Anyway, more mockup shots.

Rowan.

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:20:25 AM

Rowan, beautiful job on this build. What other equipment have you built ? Not that I'm not impressed, I'm floored by the sheer scope of the build ! Looks damn good from where I'm sitting.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

HCF
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:09:48 PM

This is awesome. Fine work by a true craftsman!

-Jason
YouTube
Timberline Thinning Company
My Photostream

linkbelt290rb
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:17:25 PM

amazing job

Nothing runs like a deere with a cat on its back but the link belt ate both of them

RowanH
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:45:06 AM

Thanks for the kind words guys. FiatAllisHD41, this has been my first complete scratch build. I have built some 1/50th scale sticks and booms for excavators before but that was a number of years ago. I have also done a series of the D11R conversions from the old 1/25th scale Remote Control Matchbox models and I'm about 50% done on a D11T conversion however those were mainly paint jobs. THe picture below is from a while back now...

The weather in Melbourne is horrible at the moment so the painting touch ups on the 375 will have to wait but I should be able to go on with some other things on the to do list.

Rowan.

RowanH
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 6:33:16 AM

Hi all, time for bit of an update. I've spent a couple of days this week doing some of the smaller things; gluing parts down, touching up the paint, cutting the hydraulics to length, inserting windows in the cab and some other bits and pieces. It's coming along nicely now and the list of things to do is ever shorter than before. I still have to...

- Repaint the glue ghost stained, undercarriage
- Build and paint the rear view mirror (opposite side of the cab)
- Build and paint some basic cab controls (pedals and levers)
- Give the operator a new set of clothes (re-paint)
- Glue down the cab
- Add all of the hand rails
- Glue in all of the pivoting axles
- Assemble and glue the bucket linkage together
- Cut and mount the hydraulic ends
- Paint and glue on the hydraulic locking pins
- Add the hydraulic hoses and fittings
- Apply the decals.

It looks like a long list but these are all small things now. The counterweight is still removable and if I can find something that is close to looking right, I would like to put one of the cat motors in there some day. The hard work is done. Again, she's far from perfect but I'm really happy with how it's all come together. I've learned a lot from this project, especially in using the basic materials, styrene, glue, paint etc. I just hope that my other projects come along a little quicker than this one haha.

Rowan.

linkbelt290rb
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 9:27:28 AM

Very nice job!

Basketball Man
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 1:21:06 PM

Looks like a couple of details away from being done!

-Ethan
Collection 8/2/2016
For more of the Diorama and my collection: On Facebook or On YouTube
RowanH
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:08:01 AM

I was playing around with the sizing and locations of some decals today. Well these were just color paper prints but I want to get them right before sending them to my decal guy. I still need to slightly enlarge the CAT logo on the boom and add the 'L' to the 375L. I also didn't bother with the red striping for the mockup but anyhow...

I also stuck in a picture with an old friend...

Rowan.

LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:50:24 PM

Nice piece of work Rowan !

Chet

I live in my own little world it's ok they know me here
UH171
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 2:32:53 AM

CCM should make a 1:25 scale 375/385/390

Remember when it comes to equipment the older and more obscure the better

A Cat 225 will beat a 320EL hands down
Basketball Man
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 1:51:56 PM

It is looking great! I will be a beast when done.

-Ethan
Collection 8/2/2016
For more of the Diorama and my collection: On Facebook or On YouTube