DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Nicolas Tractomas heavy haulage tractors Options · View
Christian
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 12:45:04 PM

Groups: Member

Hello Group

one of my main interests in heavy haulage in general are trucks produced by the french company Nicolas

Nicolas, after the downfall of traditional heavy haulage producers in France, has decided to start making itsa own trucks to match its trailer prodicts and to sell complete rigs on the world market.

that strategy did not work out perfectly as expected, the trucks remained rather small in numbers.

however the products themselves are very fascinating. pure components trucks, Nicolas bought the cabs, engines, gearboxes and axles and put them together on in-hoouse built frames. the customer was totally free in its choices and could choose whatever equipment he wanted to have on its truck

that was back in 1977 when the first Nicolas Tractomas tractor saw the light of the day.
those trucks are still produced today are the latest model, called TR1010 D100 is the biggeest on-road heavy haulage truck ever built on the world. bar none.

all four of these 912 hp 10x10 drive giants are working in South Africa for the company Rotran, a subisdiary of Southafrican energy supplier Eskom, and work hauling transformators, generators and similar equipment in what is without doubt one of the toughtest on-road heavy haulage applications worldwide.

Rotran replaces bit by bit its whole old pacific fleet by those trucks, four 10x10 and three 8x8 so far

Nicolas Tractomas rigs worked and work all over the planet, in a multitude of countries, which makes tracing them not easy at all, be it in Argentina, Corea, Thailand, Lybia, Emirates, Iraq or Cuba

Nicolas proposed four series of trucks: A, B, C and D

A are long hood versions, offered in a joint venture with UK manufacturer Unipower. Afaik no Nicolas-branded truck was ever sold

B are Tractomas in 3m wide version
C are 2m50 wide thus standard road width in Europe for example
D are ultra heavy series with 3m30

Engines choices were/are (with codes):

D - Caterpillar (C was already taken)
C - Cummins
G - General Motors Detroit Diesel
M - MAN
O - Mercedes-Benz OM...

gearboxes:

A - Allison
C - Clark
R - Renk
Z - ZF

axles:

K - Kessler
R - Renault RVI
S - Soma
U - Unipower

a Nicolas Tractomas type number would look like that:

TR66 C6C

= on road tractor TR, 6x6 drive, Cummins engine. the 6 means different power rating for that model, thus 600 instead of 520 hp, then Clark gearbox

the trucks that haul pieces in China for the Three Gorges Dam project are the type:

TR88 MCK D90

8x8 road tractor, MAN engine, Clark tranny, Kessler Axles, D = 3m30 wide version, 90 metric tons Gross vehicle weight

Rotran 10x10 monsters are TR1010 D9RK D100

together with a good friend from France, Patrick Comelli, who some might know throough the great custom brass models he makes, we try to get the full history of all Nicolas tractomas trucks together.

therefore i have started to make a list.

ANY additional info, esp. photos are welcome. this goes for example out to our UK friends here:

there were two known Tractomas in Great britain: one went to Sunters and came later to Econofreight, the other went to Brackmills. where are those trucks today? what was their fate? sold? scrapped? standing idle?

my list file can be accessed here, as MS Excel sheet:

http://www.box.net/shared/6ymp720ms4

it is under my copyright of course, that means its public domain since i share it, but its not open source Smile

any corrections and addditions welcome via mail or PM, you´d make my day, be sure
the second sheet of that file shows the full logic of the tractomas type system, maybe just something for hardcore fans, but you never know

i know this is a very special and limited interest subject, hope i didn´t bore you too much with it. questions and comments welcome

kerst
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 1:53:50 PM

Hi Christian,

Sounds very interesting!
Will the result of all this research be a book about the Nicolas heavy haulage tractors?

Kerst

http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1096251
ElGrinch
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 2:24:41 PM

Very Interesting research , I like to congragulated you for taking the time and share with us... I may Add that I have a ASAM kit of the NICOLAS 10x10 waiting for me to start ( first you have to be in the building a one of very few kits mood....)

Christian
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 2:50:29 PM

kerst wrote:
Hi Christian,

Sounds very interesting!
Will the result of all this research be a book about the Nicolas heavy haulage tractors?

Kerst

easy easy...

a book would only make sense when the information is really complete... and we´re far from that...
that research work has never been done before, so we´ll see where it leads

kerst
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 3:17:04 PM

Christian wrote:
kerst wrote:
Hi Christian,

Sounds very interesting!

Kerst

easy easy...

a book would only make sense when the information is really complete... and we´re far from that...
that research work has never been done before, so we´ll see where it leads

I am very patient!

kerst

http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1096251
Patgxo
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 3:55:06 PM

Hello group,
If you are interested by this trucks and if you want see photos of different Tractomas visit this French site :
http://convoi.exceptionnel.free.fr/phorum/viewtopic.php?t=547

and visit this German site:
http://hansebubeforum.de/showtopic.php?threadid=4700&time=1193421183&s=959770d5a981d36dbf68c0892125555f
All informations and photos are welcome
Pat
Remko
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 5:03:11 PM

I'm sure you already know of the Hadel website Christian, but for those that do not know it:

http://www.hadel.net/autos/html/d_lkw_nicolas_tr10x10_d100_2005.html

Remko

Ocean Traders Scale Models Facebook Group
JohnGalt
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 6:40:02 PM

Great topic Christian. These trucks are fascinating, especially the ones that Rotran uses, and how they use them. The picutres I've seen of them "in action" are amazing.
For some reason, my favorite is the "dragon" version in Asia.
Thanks for sharing your research and explanation with us.
Dave
Bobm2004
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2007 1:09:57 AM

Groups: Member , Moderator

Christian-

Thanks for the most amazing post. This is what makes this forum fantastic. First a history lesson and then a research project. I just wish I had something to offer in the way of help as it seems like something I would love to be involved with. Please provide us with periodic updates if you would be so kind.

Bob
Bobs Cranes

Come Over To The Lift Side . . . . . . . We Have Cookies!!!!
EliMax
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2007 1:35:47 AM

I agree with Bob. You do us all a favor every time you add to the forum, Christian. There is not one of us who read and post here who does not appreciate the knowledge you share. There are any number of folks on this forum I would like to meet and you are among them.

The Nicolas Tractomas are some amazing tractive force engineering. It is amazing what you can put together by marrying the best of components.

Now for the model custom...Replace the Mercedes cab with a Kenworth K100. Then you would have the North American version (painted red & black and set on Bob's table). Cool

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elis-Hobby-Diecast/803248369690387?ref=hl
Christian
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2007 7:13:26 AM

EliMax wrote:
Replace the Mercedes cab with a Kenworth K100. Then you would have the North American version (painted red & black and set on Bob's table). Cool

thanks for the nice comments

little correction there: Nicolas Tractomas never used any Mercedes cabs, with the exception of one TR66 working in Iraq that got an Actros cab at a later date. but none was ever delivered with a german-made cab

Nicolas used mainly cabs from french truck manufacturer Renault

the first trucks 1979 got cabs from legendary manufacturer Berliet (whose heavy haulage tractors are worth a separate thread)
at least one got a Willème cab, all other got Renault, first of the Renault R series, then Renault Major, today Renault Premium/Kerax cabs as on the Rotran trucks

Christian
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2007 12:24:13 PM

Bobm2004 wrote:
Christian-

Thanks for the most amazing post. This is what makes this forum fantastic. First a history lesson and then a research project. I just wish I had something to offer in the way of help as it seems like something I would love to be involved with. Please provide us with periodic updates if you would be so kind.

if you read my list carefully, you will notice that Mammoet´s thailand subsidiary B&J Mammoet (former B&J) operates a Tractomas TR64, 6x4 3m wide version

formerly running in white and green B&J colours it has since been repainted in Mammoet eed-black, but features B&J Mammoet writingss and logos...

Smith offers a 3m wide TR66 kit, which is a bigger 6x6 drive version Wink

Christian
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 4:12:29 PM

to our UK friends:

the old Sunter/Econofreight TR66 unit was sold to a private collector in Ipswich and from there went to Mombasa, Kenya, where it is working today

next one: i search for pictures of the Tractomas TR66 6x6 unit that worked for Statnett in Norway.

Christian
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 9:51:33 PM

here is a model i made, 95% finished, still needs a few things

this is a 1:50 scale resin kit made by Miniatur Models of Romania, great company with beautifil products.

the greatest 1:50 scale kit i built so far.

This is a french Nicolas tractomas TRL1010 D100 10x10 heavy haulage truck, the largest on-road HH truck in the world, of which 4 are working for Rotran in South Africa

912 hp Cat Diesel, 40 tons empty weight, 71 tons on the road, this truck is higher, and wider and as long as a Demag AC200-1, just to give you an idea to compare with a common model most of you might have

the truck is mainly built out of the kit, except the rear drawbar. it will also get a sleeping and kitchen compartment at the back, counterweights in the ballst tray and the green water tank that is so much need in southafrican heavy haulage

also needs a few more decals

research work on the history and population of Tractomas goes very well.

JSW57
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 12:52:56 AM

Sweet Christian! Looks awesome, can you post some pics when 100% complete hooked up to a trailer please. Thanks for sharing this beast with us.

Jeff
Christian
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 9:18:43 AM

first there will be other Tractomas models...

a trailer would have to be fully custom built, especially the one Rotran receives from Nicolas in 2010, which would be really worth building!

melton11
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 9:29:46 AM

Thank you for the post Christian and if possible keep us updated on your research.
Christian
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 9:50:07 AM

sure:

current results:

90 Tractomas trucks found and listed, from 1979 to today. currently five new ones are built at the factory for delivery this year.

of these 90, 31 are still in active service for sure, 2 are scrapped for sure, 1 is standing idle, rest unknown destiny.

of 90 trucks, 54 are documented on photo.

hummer13
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 2:15:30 PM

Is that model still avaible for purchase? would be a cool model to purchase.

Jason

NIkl Scale Models

Christian
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 2:24:16 PM

www.miniatur-models.com

you can get it in kit and built up form