DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Liebherr R 924Compact - Variations on a theme Options · View
Remko
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 5:10:34 PM

Groups: Member

I took my Komatsu PC 450 with shortboom apart yesterday, and modified the base of the boom a bit so it would fit the Liebherr R 924Compact. The model will eventually become a Multi-purpose excavator for sheet piling, earth moving and even demolition. Inspiration for the model is the PMI 926-2 from Kandt BV

Here is a photo from their own website:

And one I made myself a few weeks ago when the machine was in my town.

Here are a few In progress photo's. The rest of the digging / sheetpiling boom will have to be made completely from scratch. Added bonus is that the HRD boom from the Case 1488 demo excavator also fits the boom. So a model not unlike the Etec 333 from Euro-demolition is also possible.

Remko

Ocean Traders Scale Models Facebook Group
PileDriving
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 5:33:49 PM

Remko, I sent you a PM
Jack.
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 5:40:31 PM

That is looking great!I am dieng to see the finished boom!#
jack

Heavy Cranes
Remko
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 8:54:52 PM

I made a little progress with the model. And the third part of the boom is also possible. This will just be the stick from the R 924Compact with some modifications. Now for the center part of the boom... That's pretty difficult. Think Think

And, if I can make it work, extendable tracks!!

Remko

PileDriving
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 11:37:03 PM

i PM u remko
Remko
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 12:42:38 PM

I haven't done any customs for a while now, but will pick them up coming weeks.

The multi-purpose R 924Compact is still just lying around as it was in the photo's above, but here are a few photo's of it with a different undercarriage, the tracks from Norscots R 904 C. These are, according to the official brochure perfect for the model.

Together with the R 924Compact longReach...

And the Long Reach solo...

Remko

Remko
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:18:57 AM

I changed the title of the thread so I can show off various other R 924Compact variations.

These were the original four...

From left to right: Material Handler (MH); High Reach Demolition (HRD); Telescopic Crawler (LTR) and Leonard.

Leonard. The first variation I did on this model.

Telescopic Crawler (LTR 1100's little brother). Although I still very much would like to build this model, I have used the boom for something else now, among other reasons because it was too large for the R 924Compact. So the project has been shelved for the moment.

Material Handler using the boom of the R 932.

And the original HRD configuration with the boom of the Case 1488...

Remko

Remko
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:39:11 AM

As shown above, more members of the family are on their way.

Planned are:

R 924Compact Ditch-Cleaner
R 924Compact with Hydraulic Adjustable Boom (Norscot's from A 904 C)
R 924Compact Multi-Purpose Excavator / Sheetpiler
A 924Compact

Here a few photo's of the HRD with the typical Liebherr heads over the lifting cilinders on the boom...

And the Multi-User variant, which is actually optional for this excavator, so real-life imitates model. Teeth

With the grading bucket from the A 900 C ZW...

And trenching bucket of the original R 924Compact...

Optional buckets...

I ordered a whole bunch of buckets from Brian Blackman yesterday. Hopefully they arrive soon!!

I 'borrowed' a couple of photo's from Steven Downes' site Miniature Construction World as soon as I get them in I'll replace these with my own photo's.

R 313 / A 314 bucket set:

JCB JZ 70 bucket set (for app. 7 mm stick width):

And a rubble / riddle bucket, gotta love that color!!

Remko

JoeS1989
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:58:50 AM

Hey,

First off glad too see you back on these forums!

And secondly...those customs are sweeeeeeeet! I personally love the 924 Compact HRD!
I really like the 924 compact in its standard config but still havent gotten round to buying.

Cant wait to see them all painted up in the liveries/liebherr colours.

Joe

P.S. Have you done anything new to your 954C HRD lately or any of your other 954 variations?

Jack.
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 11:50:10 AM

Hey Remko, Im thinking of gettong the JS220 with long reach and get loads of Brian's Buckets, Would the JZ 70 bucket set fit it?

Thanks mate
Jack

Heavy Cranes
bsb
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 12:00:27 PM

Hi Jack . my JZ 70 buckets will be to big for the JS long reach . i make a set of 2 buckets for the JS long reach .
Jack.
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 12:23:43 PM

Thanks Brian!

Heavy Cranes
Remko
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 12:33:54 PM

JoeS1989 wrote:
Hey,

First off glad too see you back on these forums!

Thanks Joe, it's good to be back. I was just 'lurking' around the forums for a while after I heared that it was in a downfall again, and that even TimT thought about leaving. I still think it could use some better moderation and dedicated moderators besides Chuck, but it's not too bad at the moment.

JoeS1989 wrote:
P.S. Have you done anything new to your 954C HRD lately or any of your other 954 variations?

The R 954 C HRD is on hold for a moment while I'm waiting for new parts to build it. The sheetpiler variant is currently undergoing massive redesigning with a different boom configuration, elongated upper body and tilting cab. I almost haven't worked on any models the past few months, but will pick it up again, and hoping to finally finish most of them.

I'm also looking into using more Evergreen for my models. I was a bit conservative with it, but after seeing many models here made mostly out of this I think I'll give it a shot. Possibilities are just about endless with it, so many parts that would be difficult to make with existing parts or brass are now possible. Drool Drool

bsb wrote:
Hi Jack . my JZ 70 buckets will be to big for the JS long reach . i make a set of 2 buckets for the JS long reach .

I suspected this, so I'll see if I can fit them to the HRD boom of the R 954B. The bucket set for the JCB JS220 LongReach are also very nice though!! I ordered them from Brian a few months ago, and they're excellent. I'll probably get another set soon.

Remko

renaultman
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 12:40:05 PM

Nice pics. I love your custom work. I think on the same line as you sometimes. Can't wait to see what's next in the pipeline. How is the R984 longreach comming along. This model gave the idea of a longreach Komatsu PC1100.

Remko
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 12:51:56 PM

renaultman wrote:
Nice pics. I love your custom work. I think on the same line as you sometimes. Can't wait to see what's next in the pipeline. How is the R984 longreach comming along. This model gave the idea of a longreach Komatsu PC1100.

The R 984C LongReach is on hold for the moment. Just like many others. I just want to finish a couple of customs first before I start a new one. I'm very chaotic, and if I don't get my priorities straight most of the customs will be in the same state for another year or more...

When I finally have them all done I'll just do the good thing and make one at a time, not ten...

Remko

Remko
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 5:35:36 AM

I wanted to make a R 924 Compact with hydr. adjustable boom, using either the boom from the Conrad Liebherr A 914, or from the Norscot Liebherr A 904 C. Neither worked very well, and I will now wait for the R 916 Advance to come out. This should be perfect. If it has a hydr. adjustable boom of course...

Anyway, since that didn't work out, I decided to throw verything in the blender and see what would come out. Well, here's the result! Doesn't look al that bad in my opinion.

Extreme excavator: R 924 Compact main boom; A 914 mid-section; A 314 mid-section plus stick.

Some reach!! And yes, that is one of Brian Blackman's buckets from the A 314 / R 313 set...

Reaching up high...

Digging out my new trenchbox model from KSM...

Close up of the trench box (which is about completely made out of metal btw)...

Somewhat shorter boom. Instead of the A 314 attachment the original R 924 Compact stick is attached...

BTW, yes that is an undercarriage from the Norscot R 904 C. This looks closer to the real deal than the original Norscot undercarriag. I'll see if I can get the Norscot cab on it too.

Remko

Remko
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 2:59:39 PM

Here's a small update to my HRD variant...

Upside down lift cilinders...

Remko

dcc
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 3:04:39 PM

looking good.

dcc
Remko
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 2:21:49 PM

Somehow I didn't really like the R 924 Compact with the R 932 material handling boom. But, after having a boom plus stick left of a A 904 C, I tried if this would work out. Well, it did!!

Good machine for demolition work!

And my R 924 Compact Leonard. Although I really liked the big dozer blade up front (very Thunderbirds-like) it doesn't look that good anymore. Might have to see what I can do to change it.

Remko

Remko
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 5:38:52 PM

Like the R 954 C I also made a Clamshell Telescopic Arm for my R 924 Compact. This model has also been filled with pieces of lead for more stability. The boom was made out of the boom of a Liebherr LTM 1030 mobile crane. Maximum reach for the model is is 54.4 cm (21.4 inch) below the surface, which is the equivalent to 27.2 meters (89 feet) in real life. The bucket is from the Liebherr A 904 C from Norscot.

Remko