DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Worlds Largest backhoe goes to work....pics and videos Options · View
TimT
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:03:53 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The massive BA 1100 equipped dredge "Vitruvius" Owned by Jan De Nul Group has gone to work in Valencia Spain. Some pics below.... and Six videos are on YouTube.com Search for "Vitruvius Dredge" and you will find them, for YouTube video they are pretty decent.

ConstructionSite
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:05:53 AM

Groups: Member

Fantastic! I have been waiting to see her in action! Thanks Tim!

- Chris
Dirtman2007
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:13:26 AM

Great pictures. I've got a question though. Why on all the large excavator( mining) are the two boom cylinders turn upside down?

Chris

To see our equipment in action:

http://ca.youtube.com/user/letsdig18
Cat 966f
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:13:34 AM

brian falcone
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:17:02 AM

i was wondering if theres a sensor on the bucket and stick to let the operator know what position its in....theres no way he can see it. nice machine . brian
Dirtman2007
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:21:11 AM

brian falcone wrote:
i was wondering if theres a sensor on the bucket and stick to let the operator know what position its in....theres no way he can see it. nice machine . brian

I saw something like this machine on t.v, only smaller. Inside the cab they had a computer screen that pictured the whole machine and would show what positions the bucket and boom were while under or above water. Its was interesting...

Chris

To see our equipment in action:

http://ca.youtube.com/user/letsdig18
brian falcone
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:29:23 AM

figured it would have that. standing up in the cab and leaning out the window wont help in this situation.
DeWoc19
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:49:15 AM

that thing is a beast, i forgot all about it but im glad someone remembered about it to post working pics of it
caucasianaasian
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 2:00:43 AM

Cheers Tim,
Your photos never cease to amaze me! And what a monster, by the way.
Craig

The Caucasianaasian

Lashlander
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 2:43:40 AM

Dirtman2007 wrote:
Great pictures. I've got a question though. Why on all the large excavator( mining) are the two boom cylinders turn upside down?

On the large machines the cylinders have a large enough area for rocks and grit to build up and rub on the polish rods eventually hosing them. They turn them upside down to prevent this.
DeWoc19
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 2:55:49 AM

i just watched those videos, that operator sucks.... there is no reason to be dropping all that wet sloppy mud from as high up as he is, its senseless
TimT
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:30:36 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

That is far from senseless... First off NO operator that runs a machine that size and that price "Sucks". Second point, in work of that size/scale, production is the name of the game. I doudt you will see buckets of muck being gently set down in a scow on an operation of that size because its a waste of time and diesel fuel. You keep the movement to a minimum when production digging. Many times those dredging contractors are paid by the cubic meter/yd. They don't waste time being gentle with the material. Besides that, I think you might find that they are doing production trials and want the absolute maximum production that machine can deliver before the customer signs off on it. Spend some time in a big mine or similar operation and you will see how machines are realy worked in full production operations. Thats not your local construction job.

ConstructionSite
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:46:09 AM

Here's some more information about the Backacter Series:
http://www.shipyarddedonge.nl/backacter_series.htm

Thanks again Tim for the images!

- Chris
BryceH
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 4:22:18 AM

Nice pics as usaul Tim, is it really as big as a RH400, looks to me like the bucket and arm set up is similar to the Liebherrs, hope it goes a bit better them the liebherrs that we have!!
zzzz DELETED 103006
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 4:22:28 AM

[quote=TimT]That is far from senseless... First off NO operator that runs a machine that size and that price "Sucks". Second point, in work of that size/scale, production is the name of the game. I doudt you will see buckets of muck being gently set down in a scow on an operation of that size because its a waste of time and diesel fuel. You keep the movement to a minimum when production digging. M
any times those dredging contractors are paid by the cubic meter/yd. They don't waste time being gentle with the material. Besides that, I think you might find that they are doing production trials and want the absolute maximum production that machine can deliver before the customer signs off on it. Spend some time in a big mine or similar operation and you will see how machines are realy worked in full production operations. Thats not your local construction job.

[/
quote]
i agree with dewoc. you don,t have to be sloppy to be fast. smooth is good. try that bull with a 345 loading clay into aluminum dumps and you are canned.
ConstructionSite
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 4:34:39 AM

Re-read what Tim wrote, he explained it to a tee. You're not using some little 345 loading clay into some flashy aluminum bed truck on projects like the scale he's talking about. Yes, being smooth and gentle does translate up, but keep in mind what they are doing in the above photos. It's a dredge loading a barge. Right there your argument is gone. But more important is the fact that the photos and videos show the machine during trials. The engineers and customer are seeing want the machine is capable of. Can it do as advertised. Finesse isn't required here. And that operator, it's safe to assume he's not some random guy from the bench at the hall.

- Chris
zzzz DELETED 103006
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 4:51:16 AM

b.s. finesse is always required. if you operate like a slob, operators will notice it and make snide comments at 1 am
ConstructionSite
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 4:57:02 AM

I didn't make a snide comment. Wink

- Chris
zzzz DELETED 103006
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:06:50 AM

no, i did.
Paul
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:03:47 AM

Wow, what a machine!. Here's a link to the youtube videos.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ahycoQHzfX8

Scania V8. The best sounding truck in the world.