ras
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 1:51:57 PM
Groups: Member

zzzz DELETED 93236
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 2:11:34 PM

thats a nice ol picker
no 24" LCD touch screen in there.
wonder if she has the rollers on the front beams ,any more pics you can get would be nice
ConstructionSite
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 2:25:21 PM

Great find! Post more if you have them!

From the Turner website.

Turner Industries Group: http://www.turner-industries.com/

- Chris
Paul R
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 2:41:09 PM

Looks like it has been well kept Smile

Paul R
hummer13
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 2:46:43 PM

Nice shots

Jason

NIkl Scale Models

ulf
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 7:24:45 PM

A few pics from the hadel.net site. You definitely can see a lot of Gottwald in this old beast, particularly the outrigger attachments. Impressive piece of work.

Paul Crane
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 8:52:26 PM

That's a good looking older large crane. Impressive with an 800 ton capacity. Thanks for posting.
JSW57
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 11:18:19 PM

That brings back memories, not sure if it is the same crane but I saw one just like it in Houston @ Con-Expo in 1980. She was brand new, same paint with Nichols decals, just like in these pics. I have some old Polaroid pics of it some where with the wife standing next to it. Thanks for posting the pics, any more by chance?

Jeff
Haight
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 11:22:54 PM

What purpose does the accumulator serve on that or any other crane?
zzzz DELETED 93236
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 2:41:21 AM

that accumulator i probably for the suspension, it basicly enables the carrier to kinda catapillar down the road keeping as evenly as possable pressures on each individual axle ,front to rear side to side , using hydrualicly actuated hydraulic cylinders.
if you load up an axle the others well try to compensate using controled engery in the accumulator.allowing an axle to travel up and/or to force to others down all on the fly

Krupp had a system called Megatrak, similar, but the krupps had all wheel independent suspension,every wheel was on a hyraulicly actuated hydraulic strut. the acumilator pressures could allow an operator to accurately maintain strut pressure all around the carrier once the presure was set using pnematiclly actuated valves..on the system the accumilator was just a big diaphram that allowed presure to go somewhere other than trough a bypass ,and maintained constant pressure
through out the system
these systems were electric,over pnematic over hydrualic.

it could have also been for the steering allowing again even presure ,or as a "softener" of sorts as not to destroy any linkage or as a booster ,but i really think its for the suspension.

i can see how it all works in my head hopfully this is enough to get you a picture of how it plays in the Carrier
kerst
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 11:07:31 AM

The 8-axle FAUN carrier of the TC4000 has 16 x 8 drive. The 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 7th axles are driven (and steering) and the front two are leaf suspended, while the 6th and the 7th have rigid walking beams (remember the thing was built in the 70’s). Al the other axles have hydraulic suspension and this explains the accumulator. The 5th axle is the only non-steering one and there is the possibility for support wheels on the front outriggers in order to move the crane around on the job site fully rigged. According to FAUN each axle had a maximum capacity of 27.5 metric tons static. The carrier engine is a Cummins KTA 525 and is connected to an Allison CLBT 6061. The outrigger base is 16.5 m by 16.5 m. Main boom is max. 108m and with a luffing jib the max lifting height is around 180m.
As far as I know Nichols got theirs new in the late 70’s and it is still going strong. I think that the lattice boom cranes Demag built in the 70’s and 80’s are some of the most beautiful cranes around, not least because of the Faun carriers. And although the is a certain resemblance with Gottwald cranes from that era I think there was quite a difference in vision between the engineers of Demag and Gottwald, the first being more refined in design and the latter being much stronger and almost over-engineered. I like them both though!

Kerst

http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1096251