Hauling a Cat 657 Scraper Options · View
fensoncontracting
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 8:22:44 PM

Groups: Member

Sure thing
Kenny R
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 8:49:07 PM

Great timing for this post! Here are a few pics I actually shot just yesterday of a 657 being transportedCool

Ken

insley guy
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 8:49:16 PM

Hi Guy's, Turbo and Brendan are both correct, about the only time we broke them down was when we bought or sold them. I had the pleasure/misfortune of loading one at the Detroit Edison power plant one winter. The lowboy driver and I backed the bowl on, then removed the caps at the end of the arms, the apron pin, and the hyd, air, and elec.lines. We then used a forklift to shove a tandem axle dolly under the neck/crosstube and drove the tractor with the arms away to be picked up later. The tractor was very unstable as it was basicly balanced on the front axle, and if you tried to turn more than afew degrees the weight of the arms would try to tip the whole thing over. Loading and hauling the tractor was VERY scary. I do have pics of the whole process, I'll try to find time to scan and post them. Tom
mayes351
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 11:15:41 PM

gotta love sings heavy haul here if so cal the bowl arms have to be turned but other then that it is hauled in one piece
thisguy
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 1:49:39 AM

a quick run through google and i found this

http://www.s-ttrucking.com/new%20ones%20001.jpg

657 too big to be moved on one these setups? what would it be called by the way?

any idea why theyre rarely moved like that?
turbo21835
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 9:56:41 AM

I have never seen a 657 on that set up. Its called a scraper trailer around here. Ive only seen 627s hauled on them. There are a few reasons why you dont see many of them. 1 It takes a long time to load and chain a scraper on that set up. 2 It takes a lot of chains and binders. Last one i helped load out, we had 20+ chains and binders, just to make the rig legal. It took us well over a hour and 15 minutes to load and chain. Vs 30 minutes with a regular lowboy.

Charter Member, QBall Fan Club
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42336642940&ref=ts
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 1:26:23 PM

I still do not understand how they get the scraper on a trailer like that, the "scraper trailer". The only way I can picture it was backing the wheels onto the rear trailer, then driving the scraper onto the front trailer? Physics must play a huge role into that Think
ConstructionSite
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 5:07:52 PM

Here are some photos that DumpsterToy Tr wanted to show everyone. I'll let him fill in some details if he wants.

Thanks for sharing DumpsterToy Tr and was glad to help! I like that Caterpillar 666.

- Chris
DumpsterToy
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 5:47:09 PM

Thanks Chris for helping me share. Did not get the 675 splits completed the way I wanted to. Did not get them chained down or signage put on them. The boss called yesterday and I have to go back to dumptruck driving ASAP. Have more important thing to do before Friday. The 1/16 scale Mack was made by a friend of mine in Conn. I have two of his Autocars and two of his Peterbilts. Will try to get somemore pictures on this weekend.
Thanks for sall the feed back on the 657 split.
Dave Somers AKA dumpster
ulf
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 6:18:26 PM

Beautiful display you have there dumpsterToy - I am seriously jealous! Who are the model manufacturers for some of your monster haulers - particularly the red and blue guys? Applause
DumpsterToy
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 6:37:17 PM

Both came from DHS. The red one is a Sword and the blue one is an Smith made in England.Infact I think all the rest of the lowboys in the picture with the 657 splits are Smiths. The real long blue and orange one is also a Smith. It is a model of a rig that was used in the late 1990s to haul a 500 ton autoclave from Salt Lake City Nev. to a gold mine in the deserts of Nevada. The rig weight 450 tons. The load traveled down intrestate 80. It took like 3 weeks to travel about 300 miles.
johndeere4020
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 9:13:50 PM

When I worked for Kokosing (and they still had 637's), we split the tractor from the bowl at the trunion.
Then we would hook a loader or excavator to the front of the machine to balance in, then we drove it.
away under its own power. Then we had a heavy steel tube that bolted in the place where the arms
fastened to the the bowl. Then you backed the tractor over a beam trailer, the bar layed across the
back of the trailer supporting the arms. All that you had to do was throw some blocks under it and chain
it down. It was pretty stable with the loader or excavator chained to it, they're not scary to haul.
As far as a 627 I've hauled a lot of those on a scraper trailer, I always used ten chains and binders
which made it plenty legal. You might put twenty chains on to make yourself comfortable which I can understand but you don't need that many to make it "legal". tjk198 To load a 627 on a trailer like that
you pull the tractor on the front trailer then set the cutting edge down on the back of the trailer and
raise the rear of the scraper up and push the dolly under, set it down pull the tractor forward and your good to go.

ulf
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 12:10:31 AM

Great thread gentlemen! Very informative and it is always impressive seeing a big scraper hauled down the road. I needed a model for my cubicle at work and the Bucyrus 495 seemed a bit ...excessive. Perhaps a few scrapers... Think
Greasemonkey
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 12:49:56 AM

I worked for a contractor that had a fleet of 651Es, granted, there weren't 657s but close enough. We always tried to haul them intact, but when we had to split them due to weight restrictions, we would split them at the trunnion caps, then unbolt the draft arms from the cross tube and put them on a separate truck with the aprons. To move the tractors or bowls after they were split, we simply lifted one end with a 980 and wheeled them around.

To load our 631s or 637s on scraper trailers, we did it opposite to the way Johndeere4020 described. We would lift the rear tires by pushing the bowl down and roll the dolly under the rear tires. Then we would simply drive the tractor up onto the trailer and chain it down. Typically, it would take us about a half hour and the truck was on the way down the road.

Brian
DumpsterToy
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 9:19:18 AM

Thanks for the come back on the scraper movings. Enjoyed the KOKO pictures. I worked for them for two years in the early 2000s as a dumptruck driver. They moved the job to Fredricktown and it would be move their or drive about 100 mile round trip each day. Chose to find another job. Still, I enjoyed working for them and with the their many employees.
Shaunrh 2311
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 11:30:45 AM

Here is a pic of a 657 that arrived in our yard today.