DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

My Collapsed Candy Cane 16000 Options · View
CheeseHead
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 5:11:40 PM

Groups: Member

I had no load on my 16000 and it was boomed up around 75-78 degrees, dam near straight up. I did not even have her rigged up with the load line. This is my second 16000 to do this, and the first one was factory red. Maybe too much boom for her to handle. The pins look like they are just pounded in.
bigcranes
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 5:30:55 PM

Sorry to hear of your trouble guys, I personally think the 16000 is the biggest POS that TWH ever made! The one I have has stuff attached up side down, won't hold the boom up; the drums are $&!# too. I will probably never buy another crawler of theirs. Too much BS, the 18000 was a good buy for the detail you got, but to get a crane that big with great detail and quality, it would have been much more expensive.

Mark L.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts
Jeepin-Paul
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 10:22:11 PM

Contact DHS, or you can go to TWH directly.

I have had very good luck with TWH customer service.

If you learn from your own mistakes, then I am a genius !!!

Jeepin-Paul Website
JohnGalt
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 11:47:32 PM

What a disappointment. Cheesehead and CraneOp, you should get psychiatric help. That's the last response we got when someone complained about a TWH product. Just be glad you were able to buy the model in the first place. Instead of complaining, you should just do something and fix it.
aCutter knows what he's talking about: all great crane models are held together by paint. It's high time you 2 learned something and quit bad-mouthing your models. Some people are just always negative. Go buy a 4100 and admire the battery compartment.
Bobm2004
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 11:52:34 PM

Groups: Member , Moderator

Mr. Galt-do I detect some tongue in check commentary???

Bob
Bobs Cranes

Come Over To The Lift Side . . . . . . . We Have Cookies!!!!
JohnGalt
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 11:56:41 PM

Yes sir, Mr. Moderator, sir. Sorry about that.
zzzz DELETED 92613
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 12:08:25 AM

JohnGalt wrote:
What a disappointment. Cheesehead and CraneOp, you should get psychiatric help. That's the last response we got when someone complained about a TWH product. Just be glad you were able to buy the model in the first place. Instead of complaining, you should just do something and fix it.
aCutter knows what he's talking about: all great crane models are held together by paint. It's high time you 2 learned something and quit bad-mouthing your models. Some people are just always negative. Go buy a 4100 and admire the battery compartment.

You're right JohnGalt.. I'm so sorry for complaining about the model, how dare I be dissappointed. I should have known the paint was holding it together. Please forgive me, I shall call 911 and admit myself under a 5150.

I broke it down into transport.. i'll sit here and admire that and the twisted, broken boom. silly.. silly me...d'oh! Whistle
kat09
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 12:26:42 AM

lets hope that manitowoc doesn't ever farm out boom fabrication to twh for the full size cranes
ulf
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 12:45:54 AM

JohnGalt wrote:

Dammit, you had me biting for a while. Stop that...

Not talking
DeWoc19
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 3:18:49 AM

that really suck Ryan, but you know as well as i do that TWH has great service and will do whatever they can to fix the problem. i have been gone a week and my 16000 is still standing Teeth
CheeseHead
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 3:19:17 AM

I thought this was a "forum of the free", we talk about the good and bad and the must haves and the do nots etc... For now on, this will be John Galts Forum. For the money that we pay for these, this should not happen. I do not hear anybody else have issues with their 1750, 1280 or the 8800. I know who you are referring to on your comments about the psychiatric help. I am going to take your 2 cents with a grain of salt, we are all here to help each other out.
zzzz DELETED 103006
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 11:33:16 AM

brother oiler, define free. my conrad cranes, though not as detailed, are way better built than tws cranes. kinda like comparing a kia to a kenworth. tws does stand behind their product very well but it is a shame that we can't expect better quality for the money. the boom on my 18000 has 15 degrees of twist and 9 inches of righthand deflection. total b.s.
ConstructionSite
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 12:29:14 PM

Quote:
you should get psychiatric help

Nice one John! It has come full circle, but now they are having problems so it's O.K. to be negative. Wink

A question, did you guys assemble the boom with all the sections in the kit or did some of the failures happen with a smaller boom length? You must have been sick when you came around the corner and saw them.

- Chris

BTW: Hey Dewoc, I would hide your 16000 the next time your buddies come over. I think you may have just made it a target.
Quote:
i have been gone a week and my 16000 is still standing

mixontour
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 12:53:09 PM

An awful tragedy in your moment of pride. I won't go on since this subject is really well commented upon, but it seems the solution for TWH is to solder the boom tips like the rest of the boom. I wondered why they included a tube of glue with the 18000.

Bu to play devil's advocate: It makes sense the way they are built. Consider they are obviously hand built and this is the cheap/fast way to build a few thousand boom pieces out of brass. I still wish they were soldered.

There will be a 1:50 21 gun salute this afternoon here. Sad

Dan

1:1 or 1:50, I am still in awe.

Dave Miller
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 1:21:46 PM

Once again,the atmosphere goes stagnant quickly.If I may,I'd like to add a little perspective.I've been collecting for 8 years,and reading this forum the whole time.I have cranes from Conrad,NZG and TWH,and honestly,not a one was perfect.Even my CCM Link Belt 348 had boom problems,and with the 190' extension kit was 4 times the cost of my 16000,and still does not weigh enough for any boom angle less than 75 degrees.My LR1280,without any extensions and nearly straight up,snapped a pennant,and tumbled 5' feet to the floor as we watched.My CC8800 also snapped a pennant,and somehow rested against the 18000,while it only had 4 extra sections and the luffer.All the models I've gotten need something.....metal pennants,more weight,bigger/more hooks,better details,etc.This hobby is not for those who are weak in the heart,mind or wallet.I have enjoyed every model I have,warts and all.Personally,I am better at adding weight and structural repairs than I am at doing paint and custom details,so I prefer a detailed model,that I can afford,and add weight and repair boom sections or restring.So far,all the manufacturers have repaired or replaced parts as needed,and DHS and my local dealer have been great.TWH replaced 4 sections of my 18000,at no charge,and did not even want the old parts back..free loads or parts for custom work.So in the end,I got a straight boomed 18000.
These are basically custom models and I for one am glad to have them.As long as the manufacturer makes things right,I'm satisfied.
Enough rambling.The design of the 16000 boom assembly looks like an attempt to eliminate the twist of the 18000 boom,with the small end frames insuring straight and square sections.A good responce to the negative feedback of the 18000,and shows someone is listening.I for one will remain patient and optimistic.
I now,however,check my 16000 often.Since I added the luffer to it,and the boom is at 85 degrees and the luffer almost level,I'd say the joints are all in compression.
Hope this is'nt too much ramblin' on.Since I don't post often I gotta make the most of it
Good day and good luck.
CheeseHead
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 3:20:11 PM

Dave Miller- Care to share your 16000/w Luffer pics. Anxious Pray
KeepOnTruckin
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 3:39:20 PM

time to bust out the welder, make sure it will never come apart again!

KeepOnTruckin (Jonathan)
ulf
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 3:55:36 PM

Dave Miller wrote:
Once again,the atmosphere goes stagnant quickly.If I may,I'd like to add a little perspective.I've been collecting for 8 years,and reading this forum the whole time.I have cranes from Conrad,NZG and TWH,and honestly,....
..... Hope this is'nt too much ramblin' on.Since I don't post often I gotta make the most of it
Good day and good luck.

Certainly what you say is true, but what is the point of producing cranes that can't even be setup for display without collapsing? I, for one, would be seriously p.o.'d if I came home and found my $500 model in shambles. The manufacturer needs to be called on the carpet for shoddy craftsmanship and/or lousy design. Yes, some of the members here pride themselves on their ability to customize and repair models, but a fair number of customers are just looking for a nice static piece with no fuss involved. Set it up, place it on the shelf and enjoy the view. There is NO excuse for a crane disintegrating in this manner. Yes, pendants snap occasionly, parts don't always fit, the fishing line they provide is garbage, etc., but wholesale collapses....THAT should never happen. Not talking
Dave Miller
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 3:58:44 PM

Here you go.....
cranedude07
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 4:02:39 PM

did you use boom parts from the 18000 to make the luffer? looks great

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page