DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

heavy equipment vhs (orgnally information needed) Options · View
Cat345bl
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:54:54 PM
Groups: Member

just a question here,but when i was a little kid i had this video (still have it) about heavy equipment for kids and there were building a skyscraper (i think in dc) and they had a thing called a truck wash were the dump trucks drive through a bed in the ground to clean the tires,i think the movie was filed in 1994 and such a device is obsoulite,What info i need is why do they use instead of using a hose and possibly pictures of this truck wash bed.I made a diogram of what it looks like.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 08/10/24

Lil' Danny
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:59:11 PM

You're talking about Hard Hat Harry ! I use to love that one as a kid too, definitely a classic.

- Danny

L.M.builder
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:09:19 PM

I have seen that as well. I Hvae no clue why?lol

Landon

Landon's Custom Models http://www.freewebs.com/landonscustommodels/ !!!!!!UPDATED 4/17/10!!!!!!
Cat345bl
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:11:24 PM

yes thats the one Danny

brian falcone
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:36:12 PM

its so the trucks wont track dirt and mud onto the streets... here we lay a 20 foot strip of rip rap to do the same thing
Lotsacrane
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:39:42 PM

We had similar here at the airport.... a scrap between the Federal Gov and the city of Mississauga over building permits led to them ,,," keep your Federal dirt on your Federal property" i think is what the mayor said,,, they did at cost to the Federal government!!

Q-Ball a wolf in Jesus skin ---the sorcerer of reasonable commentary

I smile & wave

Sometimes I think life is just a rodeo,
The trick is to ride and make it to the bell.

JustinE
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:42:18 PM

Ah, I remember that movie! Good times, and I do remember that scene. Way I see it is as a way to remove the big chunks of mud off the tires before the trucks left the site. It's different in the cities and their are probably laws that restrict trucks from making a mess out of the roads in that manner.

Now as for your question about using a hose instead. Can you imagine how inconvenient and time consuming that would be for the truck driver, or a worker to hose off each one of those wheels indidually! This invention obviously made it an easier and quicker way to clean the tires. Personally, I've never seen or heard of a "truck bath" except in that movie.

-Justin

"Everyone's Goal Is To Mine More Coal!"
PAmining
http://www.youtube.com/user/PAmining
Cat345bl
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:50:50 PM

thanks guys,i just wanted to know aobut it,if its been in use,i know what its used for.Justin there is a contruction site across the street from my school and they use the hose method to wash all the tires off,when i am in gym glass (well was) and we would go outside to play soccer i would see the trucks roll in and then roll out with the drivers washing the tires,it took them about 5 mins,even the trades were doing it too,there were electritions or carpenters washing there van tires off,it must be my town law.

Ryan3406b
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:11:47 PM

I still own that movie, I remember yelling at the TV when they called a piece of Equipment the wrong name. And the songs were Awesome..."Fill me up and tap my load, let me know when it's time to go; we are some 100 ton dump trucks"....

Be Prepared
Cat345bl
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:20:26 PM

i still have that movie too,and it is still in my movie shelf,but i do not dare to toch a vhs tape,when ever i do the film comes out of the vcr.Still rember all the scences from that movie such as pete the piledriver,the crans song,the dump truck song,and the 2 kids that are with hard hat harry. the baby loader and the mama loader (caterpillar 988),it was a good movie,Anyone rember that green manitowoc 4100 on the movie?,and the blue lampson 4100.That movie brings back memories .

Lil' Danny
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:42:56 PM

I recall all of the above, and the Triple 8 Manitowoc setting the girders. What about the D8 explaining how they use Lowboys to move from job to job ? Or the Cold Planer that spoke like Darth Vader !

- Danny

Cat345bl
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:50:43 PM

Dan i have the best memory i know almost every scene from the movie,when it bgan the kid made fun of the dump truck becasue the 245 filled the truck up in one load.Bwst movies ever,ihave to watch it some time.The jack hammer,the old dynahoe filling making a patch,the road reclaimers,the girl street sweeper, the telehandler,barrier remover,i have to say it was one of the best heavy equipment movies for kids,along with bulldozer songs.

Lil' Danny
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:55:08 PM

Yeah they had them benched down in that foundation, My mom tells me I would watch that movie over and over again.

Another great one ( and I think is still educational ) is " Building Skyscrapers ". It features all of the steps of building a Skyscraper in New York City in the early 90's. I also was hooked on every video in the " There Goes A .... " series !

- Danny

Cat345bl
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:59:41 PM

never heard of that one dan,i gonna rename this topic heavy equipment videos,i have also how do they build series bridges and tunnels,Gus and sam heavy equipment adventure,i wanna be a heavy equipment opearotr when i grow up,mighty machines,watch em work sereies (also goo)

700th post Smile

Lil' Danny
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:08:00 PM

I currently still have all of the " How Do They Build " videos. Is the " i wanna be a heavy equipment operator when I grow up " the one divided into the 3 sections with the 3 kids ? I loved the crane section because they had a whole section d+++++ed to Crawler Cranes. Mighty Machines was also a favorite of mine !

- Danny

hulan
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:08:26 PM

I loved that movie, and occasionally still watch it!! I liked the song about the dumptrucks, and the one about the cranes....

Greg H
Cat345bl
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:11:53 PM

Yea these were classics,i have this one its called hard hat and building or something like that,thye build an skyscraper in canda,they have a tower crane with a little hut were the trolly on the crane would move there was an opeartor there,sorta strange,they also but chrismas lights on the crane so it was a big candy cane at night.

LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:13:35 PM

Those are great videos "Road Construction Ahead and House Construction Ahead" how to build a road real cool more serious, operators only wave !Teeth Remember ordering Hard Hat Harry vid and was able to get the Deluxe edition and the operator asked if I wanted the longer edition I said hell yeah! Nice M-250 crane on one of them.Remeber one with a Linkbelt 238 TC on the boxtop never seen it though.

Chet

I live in my own little world it's ok they know me here
hulan
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:32:41 PM

there is a series in canada called "mighty machines" it profiles all different types of machines and jobs....its intened for kids because the machines talk...but i still like them....

here's the theme song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4nRAs-h3IQ

Greg H
Lil' Danny
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:33:48 PM

Wouldn't happen to be that one, would it Chet ? I was obsessed with this video and still have it !

- Danny