DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

custom CAT 345d update now finished Options · View
janh
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 9:12:40 AM

Groups: Member

Can anyone help me with pics of this machine?
I need pics of the upperside and the boom linkage where I can see the hydraulic lines.
I only have 5 pictures and the data sheet of the real machine yet.I don´t know if this will be enough to complete the model in all details.
Thanks in advance for any help!

I started a new project.When I saw the one from modelmaniac
http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=118248
I knew I had to make a CAT 345d for myself.

Before I got started I had to think about the cab.I didn´t want to chop a whole other model for it.
And so I tried and made a resin copy from the cab of my 320d.It turned out pretty well.I cut off the lights because my model will have a cab guard.I also made a copy from the interieur.

Next step was to buy a ERTL Hitachi 450.And then I took the drawings from the data sheet of the 345d scaled them down to 1:50 and printed them out.So I could see the differences between the Hitachi and the CAT and take the measurements directly from the drawings.

Again I made a resin copy from some parts from my 330d.Now the tracks also fit better than before.

I modified the counterweight from asymetric (Hitachi) to symetric (CAT) by polishing down the right side.And I also put in the bolts that hold it.

I shortened this part a bit on the front and stretched it on the rear.

I made new side panels from styrene also using some resin parts again.

And the last thing so far was to modify the stick to make it look like the one on the CAT.
Again I got the measurements from the data sheet.

Now this is how far I got over the weekend.I will have to make a break now.Maybe I can go on next weekend.
Of course I will post more pictures of the progress then.
Next thing will be to make the engine cover.

Again thanks to everyone who can help me with some pics of the real machine.

Jan
loaderman953C
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 9:57:51 AM

You're off to a great start,

These are the only photos of the real machine I have...

Yours truely...Teeth

Hope these help,

Andrew
Antho
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 10:26:03 AM

Wow, that's impressive, good job Jan!!
janh
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 10:26:13 AM

Thank You,Andrew!
I´m a little confused now.Could it be that the one on Your pics still has the counterweight from the c-series?
I got this pictures of a brand new machine for a german construction company and to me it looks different.
Your´s looks a bit more rounded.

And this one here has got a different stick on.

Also I would like to know what is it about that air filter behind the cab of the second one?
Some have it others don´t.Is this a extra feature for demolition machines?

Jan
D5G
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 10:47:49 AM

Jan,

first of all, very very impressive work, please continue to keep up the great work!

secondly, I would be willing to bet that the body style has something to do with the US/European Versions. Just my 2 cents, thanks for the post!

Mike

MikesModels2011 on Facebook

MikesModels2011 on YouTube

Mikes Model Reviews Thread

Mack Granite Project Thread
janh
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 2:27:59 PM

D5G wrote:
Jan,

first of all, very very impressive work, please continue to keep up the great work!

secondly, I would be willing to bet that the body style has something to do with the US/European Versions. Just my 2 cents, thanks for the post!

Mike

No,I don´t think so.And I can´t find any hint on that nor on the CAT website neither in the data sheet.Why should they make different designs for the same machine?

Jan
GCK3
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 3:22:33 PM

The shape of the counterweight has to do with the weight. The rounded one is a cast piece and is the standard 7.6 MT, in the US at least. The other angular shaped one is the optional heavier 9.0 MT, and there is also a 8.7 MT option, but I'm not sure which shape this one is. The heavier version seems to be the norm across the pond and may be standard there. Every picture I have seen of a 345C or D from Europe has that shape. Most of them here seem to have the lighter one, but there are some around with the heavier version. Also the 9.0 MT version is not offered with the removal device, a common option over here, and may be a big part of the reason. Another thing I have noticed to be different between here and there is the cooling cutouts of the left side rear door are a slightly different design, no clue on that.You will also see the same with the counterweights of the 385's.
mackey84
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 4:24:24 PM

Very impressive work so far, Jan. Keep posting pics of your progress. Glad to know about the counterweight discussion.

Chris
D5G
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 5:40:50 PM

GCK3 wrote:
The shape of the counterweight has to do with the weight. The rounded one is a cast piece and is the standard 7.6 MT, in the US at least. The other angular shaped one is the optional heavier 9.0 MT, and there is also a 8.7 MT option, but I'm not sure which shape this one is. The heavier version seems to be the norm across the pond and may be standard there. Every picture I have seen of a 345C or D from Europe has that shape. Most of them here seem to have the lighter one, but there are some around with the heavier version. Also the 9.0 MT version is not offered with the removal device, a common option over here, and may be a big part of the reason. Another thing I have noticed to be different between here and there is the cooling cutouts of the left side rear door are a slightly different design, no clue on that.You will also see the same with the counterweights of the 385's.

Which supports my theory, thank you very much.

MikesModels2011 on Facebook

MikesModels2011 on YouTube

Mikes Model Reviews Thread

Mack Granite Project Thread
sloan
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 8:16:26 PM

hey, very impressive work on the 345, and im guessing the the pannel has somethimg to do with air intake for the cooling system in the different climates?
janh
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 9:19:52 PM

sloan wrote:
hey, very impressive work on the 345, and im guessing the the pannel has somethimg to do with air intake for the cooling system in the different climates?

No,New York is the same climate we got here..
I thought of dust with demo jobs to do with that additional air filter.

Jan
RowanH
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 9:29:10 PM

Amazing work Jan and well documented too! Thanks for keeping us up to date. Interesting reading regarding the counterweight.

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

Red
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 9:58:53 PM

That's the cleanest, most accurate work I've seen here in a very long time. Very nicely detailed and great castings.

What resin do you use it really looks great!

Red

redscustomscalemodels.com

diecast_dirtboy
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 10:16:49 PM

Can't wait to see it in kitty colors!! You really put 110% into your models!!Applause Applause Applause

Real men drive diesels!
caucasianaasian
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:49:59 AM

Jan,
Awesome looking model. I too, can't wait to see it finished! Amazing work with the resin! How long have you been doing it?
Again, awesome work!
Cheers,
Craig

The Caucasianaasian

janh
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:31:11 AM

I made the resin parts last week and then on Friday I got the Hitachi.So this is just what I did over the past weekend.
I found a local dealer for resin and silicon over here in germany.
http://www.klebstoff-profi.de/
This is where I buy my materials from.They have good products for a good price there.

Thanks to GCK3 for the eyplanations about the different counterweight styles.I´m gonna go for the heavier version then.

Jan
towoc999
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:21:45 PM

Hi !

Very nice job you did there !!!

The Frenchman
CAT 328D LCR
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:22:52 PM

WOW!! Very nice!!

Keep us updated!
Jgiannetti
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:50:16 PM

Amazing, ive seen very few guys that build with such precision. Keep up the great work.
Jimi
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:42:34 AM

Great work so far, very detailed.

GCK3 wrote:

Very true, but what I find interesting is that the 8.7 MT counterweight with a counterweight removal device actually adds MORE to the 345's overall weight than the 9 MT option. On all of them, there are actually 6 bolts that go through the counterweight to secure it to the main house, the CAT plate can be unbolted and flipped up revealing the other 3. Not as important for the model of course, just a fun fact I learned the other dayApplauseAngel

As far as the precleaner, I'm willing to bet its another optional part of the machine, just like the different counterweights.

regards,
Jim

"Once again, concussion by safety" -Mike Rowe