DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Worlds Largest overhead traveling crane 630tons Options · View
Demag TC2800
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 2:44:05 AM

Groups: Member

WORLD'S LARGEST overhead traveling crane, capable of lifting battleship gun turrets and other huge sections weighing as much as a million pounds, Was erected by U. S. Steel's American Bridge Company in the San Francisco Naval Shipyard at Hunter's Point, California. Completion of the giant lift will make Uncle Sam fastest on the draw among the nations in the replacing of battleship guns. These large caliber weapons wear down their rifling in a comparatively few rounds. Then the guns and their turrets are exchanged for new ones or for those which have been reconditioned. Swifter repair service for fighting ships also will be made possible by the twin cranes that will operate singly or in tandem atop a bridge type runway 207 feet high. The 730-foot runway spans a pier 405 feet wide, extending 162 1/2 feet over the water on each side. Total of 8,400 tons of steel went into the runway structure and cranes.

Another interesting note, The triangular tower atop the crane was added for Polaris rocket testing during the late 1950s

The caption reads: "OPERATION SKYCATCH--This sequence shows how a huge overhead assembly at the San Francisco Naval Shipyard catches a multi-ton dummy Polaris missile in mid-air and keeps it from free-flight. Left to right: Powerful blast sends missile skyward. At top of its trajectory, it is snubbed by modified arresting gear engine. Then the dummy Polaris is lowered for examination removal of instrumentation, and preparation for next test. In earlier testings the missile was hurled out into San Francisco bay and then retrieved. Lockheed Missiles and Space Division, who released these pictures, said this new method permits accurate study on dummy missiles which are structurally identical in live Polaris missiles."

A few pictures..

The two stadiums seen in the back ground are Home to the Oakland Raiders/ Oakland A's.

It's a piece of history, and if you've ever been to San Francisco area you've probably seen it. It sits only a stones throw away from Candlestick (49er's stadium).

You can't sue me... I don't know what I'm doing!!
cranedude07
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 2:47:43 AM

CheeseHead
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 12:43:26 PM

Get the torch, scrap her in to get some more models.......
mixontour
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 2:48:22 PM

Every time I go to SF, I stare at it from the highway coming from the airport. It's an amazingly huge crane for sure. I always did wonder what the top triangle was for. I would love to get close to it sometime....

1:1 or 1:50, I am still in awe.

Demag TC2800
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 12:42:50 AM

mixontour wrote:
Every time I go to SF, I stare at it from the highway coming from the airport. It's an amazingly huge crane for sure. I always did wonder what the top triangle was for. I would love to get close to it sometime....

No doubt, it's amazing to see from a distance but once you get up close it's unbelievable.
Next time you're out in SF let me know, I can get you close.

You can't sue me... I don't know what I'm doing!!
mixontour
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 2:52:47 PM

Demag TC2800 wrote:

No doubt, it's amazing to see from a distance but once you get up close it's unbelievable.
Next time you're out in SF let me know, I can get you close.

Deal. Lunch would be on me!

1:1 or 1:50, I am still in awe.