DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Material handling diorama - [1:50] - *UPDATED 31-07-2012* Options · View
Remko
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 8:23:10 AM

Groups: Member

Well, it took me some time, but here's my first attempt at a diorama.

It's a material handling location for scrap metal (I just need some good scrap metal or some other stuff). De storage places have been built out of standard grey 2x4 lego bricks, which are a perfect match in 1:50th scale for real life Legioblocken. The lego bricks are just a bit higher when calculated to 1:1 scale. Currently I have 200 of these bricks, with another 200 hundred on order as well as some other sizes for bigger and more varied constructions.

For more information about the LegioBlocken see here: Standard dimensions for Legioblocken

The diorama itself has been built around two machines. First is a standard Liebherr A 904 C material handler with sorting grab, the second is a Liebherr A 904 C HD material handler with mono boom and heavy scrap shear (TreviBenne CS 30RS from the Cat 330D UHD set). Transportation of the scrap metal will be done by the container truck combination from Bovrie Mijdrecht.

Seeing this is the first try out for a diorama, I'm sure I have many flaws (might have to include some workmen). So, I'm open for (constructive) criticism and any suggestions.

Bird's eye view...

From the front...

Liebherr A 904 C with TreviBenne CS 30RS is being used to cut down thick steel cables (I might fit the model with a cab guard)

Liebherr A 904 C with sorting grab loading the container truck...

Remko

Ocean Traders Scale Models Facebook Group
CAT FAN 24-7
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 9:58:17 AM

My Ideas would be get some material to load the truck with and get like paper clips to look like steel bars.

If it aint a Cat its a Mack (c) Cat Fan 24-7

RIP Phil Harris-Go Jimmie Johnson #48-
Basketball Man
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:09:14 AM

Also in addition to workmen you can add worksite "clutter". Attachments, trucks, Leftover sand, a container, Just about anything that you could find at a construction site.

-Ethan
Collection 8/2/2016
For more of the Diorama and my collection: On Facebook or On YouTube
hummer13
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:04:38 AM

Looks like a good start. DO they have the smooth lego pieces to cap the wall off? it might make the wall look more brick like if you could not see the top of the legos? Maybe you could get some plastic and cut it up into pieces that look like scrap metal and paint it to look weatherd.
Keep the pics coming

JAson

NIkl Scale Models

Remko
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:23:42 AM

hummer13 wrote:
Looks like a good start. DO they have the smooth lego pieces to cap the wall off? it might make the wall look more brick like if you could not see the top of the legos? Maybe you could get some plastic and cut it up into pieces that look like scrap metal and paint it to look weatherd.
Keep the pics coming

JAson

I've been thinking about that, but the real deal also shows the top of the "legos". So it's not that disturbing.

I'll try to get some good material to use as scrap metal. Or I'll go for wood (matches for example).

Remko

gbarnewall
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:34:29 AM

sweet Remko!!!!

I work for a big recycling company who have lots of material handlers,Terex Fuchs and Liebherrs,I've always been threatening to bring my cam into work and get snaps,but now i will make sure i do.

little scraps of aluminium foil,then weather them to give rusty sheet metal affect,
paper clips too,
also pipe cleaners,burn off the fluff,then its like lenghts of re-bar,
old axles and twin wheels from trucks too,maybe the odd scrapped truck cab

great stuff,look forward to seeing more

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

ulf
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 1:43:43 PM

http://www.scenicexpress.com/

These guys handle model train scenery supplies, but the landscaping stuff works on anything. You might visit the site just to get an idea of what sort of ground cover is available - and there are a LOT of options. Dios are always a bit of a double-edged sword - they are essentially one-shot deals - so the amount of effort and money you throw at them is problematical. However a large percentage of the flora and fauna can be reused. Another real good idea for accuracy is modeling off photos of the real subject. You'd be surprised at the number of small details in a real life scene that can be recreated on a dio.
Great looking equipment...
Applause Applause
Jazzdrummer27
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 1:52:41 PM

Find a small engineering business, ask them if they have any swarf (the scrap bits which come off a lathe or drill), leave it outside to rust and (wearing gloves so you don't cut yourself as it will be quite sharp) add it to the dio.

Here's a pic I took in that sort of environment. (in Holland, too)

Tim

Heavy Equipment Model Show
Turf Moor, Burnley Football Club, Burnley, Lancs, UK.
Sunday October 16th 2016
Remko
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 2:15:13 PM

Jazzdrummer27 wrote:
Find a small engineering business, ask them if they have any swarf (the scrap bits which come off a lathe or drill), leave it outside to rust and (wearing gloves so you don't cut yourself as it will be quite sharp) add it to the dio.

Here's a pic I took in that sort of environment. (in Holland, too)

Tim

Already planned to do that. Hopefully my second batch of bricks will come in soon, so I can expand it.
Nice photo BTW!! I have a similar setup in the works. Iveco 6x4 Strator with flat roof, pulling a Nooteboom EURO-1-bed-3 Pendel-X lowloader with one axle jeepdolly. Load will be a Sennebogen 835 with VarioTool.

Remko

Remko
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 7:36:31 AM

I've changed a couple of things in the set up. The cranes now each have their own 40 m3 roll-of container. Space is limited, so just one container per Liebherr...

Behind de storage place where the A 904 C with shear is located there should be a dockside for larger machines such as the A 954 C. But I don't have the room for it at the moment. Then again, we can always try with a little Cat...

Liebherr R 954 B material handler...

A few pics of the C 5110B MH. The model has received de boom and stick of a Komatsu PC 1100 MH from Joal. I came upon this set up on a Dutch auction site. Looks pretty good.

Remko

Jazzdrummer27
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 4:01:06 PM

Remko

I just had a better idea...(which doesn't run the risk of you requiring a tetanus injection)

Get some sheets of thin plasticard (grey if they have it) from a model shop, shred it into strips then pile it up and spray it with some rust coloured paint.

It may need quite a bit of plastic. If you can find some cheap plastic from some packaging to do the same with, all the better.

Also, make a false floor for the skips so only the top quarter needs 'scrap'. You could do this from grey cardboard.

Tim
www.scalemodelloads.blogspot.com
www.heavyhaulage.blogspot.com

Sunday October 16th 2016
Remko
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 4:15:45 PM

That might be better Tim. Good idea!! As for loads for the containers, well, Tekno has given us these: Tekno loads.

Remko

Jazzdrummer27
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 4:38:00 PM

You may be able to make 'rubble' from bits of polystyrene but cellulose paint will disolve it. You'll need to use water based paint I think.

Tim

Sunday October 16th 2016
gbarnewall
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 4:49:16 PM

yup,lol i learnt this the hard way,after making a polystyrene 4 story building for a demolition dio i had planned,i went and sprayed it with grey car paint and it turned it into a disolved mess lol,whoooops lol,ya live 'n learn

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

Remko
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 7:40:28 AM

I made some changes to the diorama with my new bricks. It's probably not very realistic, but I just wanted to see what the possibilities are. I came by the Beelen location here in Houten last night, and they too use these blocks. So I plan on going there sometime next week to make some photo's for inspiration. After these photo's were taken, the entire construction has been broken down, so I can think about it some more. Perhaps do a design drawing or something.

Remko

gbarnewall
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 9:15:27 AM

thats pretty cool Remko,i don't see anything unrealistic about it,i worked in a few yards which had a set up similar to where your red DAF is parked,they had a rap sunk into the ground about 30 foot long and walls at the back and sides,back the trailer in and then load it with a cat 320 which was sitting on a big concrete bank

it would be sweet if you found a set up that you were happy with,then made the walls or even the bricks from plaster

it looks great!!!!! needs a Terex Fuchs Teeth Teeth Teeth Teeth

mixontour
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 12:16:36 PM

ulf wrote:
http://www.scenicexpress.com/

These guys handle model train scenery supplies, but the landscaping stuff works on anything. You might visit the site just to get an idea of what sort of ground cover is available - and there are a LOT of options. Dios are always a bit of a double-edged sword - they are essentially one-shot deals - so the amount of effort and money you throw at them is problematical. However a large percentage of the flora and fauna can be reused. Another real good idea for accuracy is modeling off photos of the real subject. You'd be surprised at the number of small details in a real life scene that can be recreated on a dio.
Great looking equipment...
Applause Applause

My Dad just turned me on to this company, WOW I think I spent an hour thumbing through that encyclopedia of a catalogue!

Looks great Remko!

Dan

1:1 or 1:50, I am still in awe.

Remko
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 7:56:21 AM

Based on a drawing from a fellow forummember from the Dutch Bouwmachineforum, I made a design. From this design I started building the new layout. It's only two blocks high at the moment though. Just testing stuff out. My only concern is that the driving lane in the middle might be a bit to narrow.

Remko

WCKrueger
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 8:24:29 AM

Nice layout, but where are you going to set your coffee (beer)?
Wes
Remko
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 12:12:32 PM

WCKrueger wrote:
Nice layout, but where are you going to set your coffee (beer)?
Wes

Good point, so it's been modified again. Just trying out some different layouts,
This construction has five equally large storage places. The center driveway is wide enough to accommodate the trucks.

Hopefully I'll be able to include one of the designs to my fictional company location.

Remko