Big Horse for heavy haul.. Options · View
ulf
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 9:51:01 PM

Groups: Member

Fascinating discussion, gentlemen... Cool
zomm1781
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 9:56:48 PM

One of our drivers used to work for E.J. Davies and he told me he used to move 150-180 ton on there beam. also said they would move a 4100 with full counterweight and as much boom as they could cantilever too

45LMSWM
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 10:29:53 PM

Here is one of our old 1973 Autocar with a 100 ton +/- transformer we moved for W.J. Casey about 7-8 years ago. Zomm1781 might remember this one. We moved probably a half dozen or so for them that summer along with our "friends" from Gano's Heavy Hauling. Photo taken at P.S.E. & G. Metuchen, NJ.

I have a picture somewhere of Davies' truck in Manhattan with the 718 Link Belt from Cranes Inc. Trying to located it so I can see how many weights are on it...I doubt they took all of them off if any at all.

John
GregP
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 2:25:21 AM

Boy I can't wait till the day that N.J. stops letting you all use "boot leggers" to move that type of weight. What will you do when you have to spend 500+ thousand for a LEGAL trailer to transport that type of weight? Frankly, is is coming soon than you think. The N.J. DOT is looking at the bridges across the state, and realizing what kind of damage has been done over the past years. You all in N.J. will find out how hard it is to keep pretty trucks with nice paint jobs and chrome, when you have to go out an buy trailers costing one million dollars or more.
GOOD LUCK in the FUTURE!
Lil' Danny
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 3:28:51 AM

Awesome stuff John. Love seeing Frank's truck's. Always nice to hear some history from you as well. Appreciate it very much. I do recall someone posting a photo of the E.J. Davies rig on here a LONG time ago. They had a shot of it in the city, and then some of it when it was brand new for Autocar. Any idea what beam that thing pulled ? Would love to know what happened to it.

GregP wrote:
Boy I can't wait till the day that N.J. stops letting you all use "boot leggers" to move that type of weight. What will you do when you have to spend 500+ thousand for a LEGAL trailer to transport that type of weight? Frankly, is is coming soon than you think. The N.J. DOT is looking at the bridges across the state, and realizing what kind of damage has been done over the past years. You all in N.J. will find out how hard it is to keep pretty trucks with nice paint jobs and chrome, when you have to go out an buy trailers costing one million dollars or more.
GOOD LUCK in the FUTURE!

You've just opened a new can of worms. Once this happens I'll be working for Frankie with his new multi-axle rig Wink . What an incredible work of engineering !

- Danny

GC1
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 4:18:23 AM

I'd rather have this pulling that trailer....much classier.Cool Cool

..MAN TGX 41.680...680 hp

With thanks to www.ditzj.com...great site
john suckoe
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 9:28:27 AM

All this state axel and bridge laws are BS . The US Goverment and AASHTO had all Interstate Bridges built for high axel loadings and factores of safty .Rocket Launchers ,Tanks etc were to be hauled on big prime movers with 14x24 or 18x25 rubber !!! For construction bridges are desighed to take 50 ton rock truck loads = 50000 lb + axels, As a employee of Harris Structural Steel for 35 years on and off I have been in old erection drawings which checked each piece for strenth under erection loads . 75 to 100 ton cranes and derricks have been used on structures to erect them . All states had few weight laws till the 60's . New England ran Jersey Style trucks up there McHugh , Hoffman , Gerosa , Roger Sherman Hallamore , Higgins Corbett all had 250 to 400 ton low beds 24" deck ht. 12 ft wide 25 plus ft in well on 12 or 14 x20 tires on 4 8 axel groups . Pulled with or without jeeps Macks & Autocars Kleins Hendricksons Rock trucks were all used , Did not fall thru any bridges ether !!! Big loads no problem use 2 trailers side by side the original double lane . Long loads no problem detach a 32 alel rear bridge as a dolly or use a second trailer backwards been done for hundreds of miles . Do not need big power B model Mack 80000 rears 250 Mack 18 speed Quad Box McHugh' s hauler after the Kleins included a Hendiickson 90000 rears out of a crane 10speed 4 speed aux. and a Detroit 6- 71 N yes 238 HP and thet moved 150 ton loads all the time !!!
chessiegp39
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 10:27:34 AM

GregP wrote:
GOOD LUCK in the FUTURE!

There always has to be a spoil sport in the mix somewhere. The bridges in this state have taken a beating from more than just the heavy haul guys. Cars, dump trucks, busses and big rigs have all added to the deterioration of our states bridges much more so than the heavy haulers. Also, lack of maintenance on the part of our state which has been defered for decades surly does not help.
The bridges of this state were designed to handle much more than what they are rated for which adds to thier longevity but they are all in sore shape. Multi axle trailers with geeps and boggies help displace the load further but a 100t load is still a 100t load no how you slice it.
Lil' Danny
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 10:36:05 AM

chessiegp39 wrote:

There always has to be a spoil sport in the mix somewhere. The bridges in this state have taken a beating from more than just the heavy haul guys. Cars, dump trucks, busses and big rigs have all added to the deterioration of our states bridges much more so than the heavy haulers. Also, lack of maintenance on the part of our state which has been defered for decades surly does not help.
The bridges of this state were designed to handle much more than what they are rated for which adds to thier longevity but they are all in sore shape. Multi axle trailers with geeps and boggies help displace the load further but a 100t load is still a 100t load no how you slice it.

Very well put.

- Danny

Lotsacrane
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 11:04:45 AM

Ive seen where large transformers and heavy loads have been moved on rather small and somewhat overloaded units ...

it often boils down to the municipality not wanting the desruption to get a larger unit ...or its just not possiable to move a larger unit through the streets..

There is a time and place for everything...timing and location often plays a huge part ..

Q-Ball a wolf in Jesus skin ---the sorcerer of reasonable commentary

I smile & wave

Sometimes I think life is just a rodeo,
The trick is to ride and make it to the bell.

the creeper
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 11:55:04 AM

EJ DAVIES / STEINWAY TRUCKING ASTORIA N.Y. HAD THREE LARGE AUTOCAR'S #300 1987 - #200 1982 - AND A VERY NICE 1968 #400. DANNY THE I-BEAM TRAILER WAS A ROGER'S I HAVE SOME PHOTO'S SOMEWHERE. GARY
TimT
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 12:14:53 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Good stuff guys!!.... Weight laws... Just another way for the states and big government to pick the pockets of the people realy. Soon you will need a pemit to use the toilet. Now we are going to be told what kind of car to drive, what kind of health care to have, how much money we can make, ... and the list goes on and on. Its not realy funny at all. Its scary.. remember Hitler, It was not all that long ago. People need to wake up. ... sorry, had to say that.
john suckoe
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 12:41:22 PM

The reason the bridges wear out is rock sallt ,calcium cloride ,crap ,ashes and dirt , if the rairoads and DOT would wash and paint bridges isstead of hanging out waisting time and our tax money the bridges would be fine . It would be cheaper to lay off all public workers and contract the work out to competing contractors even with preavailing and union wage people. Give them a garden hose and a brush and a can of Rust Oleum and it would be better than watching the grass grow and waiting for snow plow overtime !!! Sorry but its true !!! They all have the best equipment Vac trucks boom trucks manlifts graders let them use it or let us contractors do the work !!! John
22Bchuck
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 1:31:37 PM

conforti will be picking up a bg 40 from hudson gen this week linde finished up with it last week and its going to confortis yard to be dismantled and shipped to canada for bauer
zomm1781
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 1:57:43 PM

i would have to say the only real problem with the bridges in jersey or NYC is the age. most of the bridges in north jersey are 80 years old give or take. id have to say the help up very good considering the climate, poor matenince and a volume of traffic they could never dream of when they were first built.

45LMSWM
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 12:04:54 AM

GregP wrote:
GOOD LUCK in the FUTURE!

Greg,

For a long time, we were able to permit a lot of these loads in NJ quite legally...but that is indeed coming to an end. Specialty weight tags and the NJ tire formula allowed for extremely heavy loads and we(Conforti) really were not out there "bootlegging" stuff around. Not saying that it was never done, but we were not the type of company to run without permits. 10 years ago or more we began forcing our customers to remove counterweights, etc., to keep the weights down, and we lost quite a bit of that work because of it. It just was not worth the risk anymore.

We also have operated outside of NJ quite frequently with combinations up to 13 axles with very few problems, NY, CT, MD, DE, VA, VT, NH, PA. We do not go everywhere, but we do get around and I know of very, very few incidents where we got popped for overweight or anything else for that matter. In fact, I can count the overweight tickets from the last thirteen years on one hand and still have a couple fingers to spare.

We are not a bunch of cowboys, just people who take pride in their work, and I figured some of the guys on here would like to see some pics of how things were done here before it all comes to end. Alot of the pics I post are 10+ years old. By the way, we have (2) TrailKing 13 axles ready to go for when they are needed, so we are well aware of the price you have to pay to play this game.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but we're just operating within what our State allows and has allowed for many years, and we will continue to do so until they change the laws, and then we will change with them. We are already well on our way down that road.

Take care,

John Pearson

Lil' Danny
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 12:21:51 AM

John, you've covered all bases in that speech. I really like all you've said. There's a few things in there that I think alot ( and certain ) people should take in to consideration, but what do I know. I'm trying to educate myself on all of the multi-axle " newer " things, it was really a pleasure to come see it in April ! Hope all is well with you guys, tell that Frank guy I said hello please. Hopefully next year when I get my license I can come down and visit more often...

But until then, continue to post the pictures please !

- Danny

Bobm2004
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 12:25:16 AM

Groups: Member , Moderator

I have nothing to add on the topic and discussion other than this has been an awesome post and a great exchange of ideas and opinions without breaking down. I have learned a lot and I think this is what the forum is great for. Bring on the heavy load pictures guys!

Bob
Bobs Cranes

Come Over To The Lift Side . . . . . . . We Have Cookies!!!!
zomm1781
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 12:29:49 AM

Bay Crane in NYC had to buy a 19 axle and a 13 axle for the changing times. Everyone wants things legal for the liability

45LMSWM
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 12:46:56 AM

the creeper wrote:
EJ DAVIES / STEINWAY TRUCKING ASTORIA N.Y. HAD THREE LARGE AUTOCAR'S #300 1987 - #200 1982 - AND A VERY NICE 1968 #400. DANNY THE I-BEAM TRAILER WAS A ROGER'S I HAVE SOME PHOTO'S SOMEWHERE. GARY

Gary,

Unfortunately, I don't think any of those three are left. I think he may still have the 4-axle Autocar, but the other three are gone. Mark had the biggest one but that went to auction like 2-3 years ago, not sure where it wound up. The 1968 and I guess the 1987 are now at George Tackaberry's place in Canada of all things.

One more thing...on one of our standard 8-axle combinations, i.e. 4-axle tractor/ 4-axle trailer, NJ State law currently allows us to gross 288,000 lbs if running all 12:00 wide tires. Slightly more at 292,800 with 385 Floats up front. Allows for slightly more than 100 ton payload on the trailer, depending on empty weight. It may be screwed up, but I did not write the laws.

John