DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Open House Diorama pics Options · View
Cat3116
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:48:57 PM

Groups: Member

I spent most of my time at my table answering questions and talking to fellow collectors about my diorama and custom models, so I didn't get to take that many pics of everything. But Here are a few of the dioramas that were there. I know there were several other members that got a lot of closeup shots of all the dioramas so hopefully they will post them as I didn't get many good closeups to share. I'll also share a couple overall shots of my customs that I had with me.
Shane

Shane S

www.sjscustomdesigns.com

shane@sjscustomdesigns.com

Jack.
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:58:32 PM

Thanks for the Pictures, Your Dio Is sick, Best there Applause Applause Drool

Heavy Cranes
diecast_dirtboy
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:04:44 PM

I don't know who the retard in the brown CAT hat is...Liar Sweet you even got my 330DMH in one pic!

Real men drive diesels!
bigcranes
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:10:05 PM

Great pictures, and great dios! I like the ringer. Who does the custom equipment in the last 2 pictures??

Mark

Mark L.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts
diecast_dirtboy
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:14:01 PM

bigcranes wrote:
Great pictures, and great dios! I like the ringer. Who does the custom equipment in the last 2 pictures??

Mark

Thats Shane's. Beautiful work! He did a very good job on them!

Real men drive diesels!
Cat3116
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:32:30 PM

bigcranes wrote:

Mark

I built the custom models. If I can I'll grab some closeups of some of them before they ship out to their new owners in the next couple days.On a side note, I'll have to find the pics of all the cookies you crane guys missed out on. The cranes lined up on the tables in the background of some of the pictures were silent auction items that I'd say 90% of didn't get bid on. Just for example there were several Manitowoc 18000's in different colors with starting bids of $350 that no one bid on. Sure they were already assembled, but for that price they were a steal. If only I had the room I would have taken a couple of them.
Shane

Shane S

www.sjscustomdesigns.com

ulf
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:39:56 PM

I looked hard and long at the 18000's also, but the logistics of getting one back to Anchorage were unrealistic. The 1750 was also a steal for someone who drove to the Open House... Think
Dobronos
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:48:01 PM

Your dio was amazing!!!! Applause Applause Applause I will be taking a dio and some models to next years show. I also looked very long and hard at the 18000... and I ended up buying the 18000 in Demont livery. Its awesome and I only got it for $350.

email: bobcatmikey@aol.com
Dobronos
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:49:36 PM

Your dio was amazing!!!! Applause Applause Applause I will be taking a dio and some models to next years show. I also looked very long and hard at the 18000... and I ended up buying the 18000 in Demont livery. Its awesome and I only got it for $350.

email: bobcatmikey@aol.com
CBRN
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:58:33 PM

Excellent scale modeling, Shane... I'm thinking you use foam and carve it to create the multiple shapes in the Diorama?

-Mark
Cat3116
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:24:15 PM

CBRN wrote:
Excellent scale modeling, Shane... I'm thinking you use foam and carve it to create the multiple shapes in the Diorama?

-Mark

It's 1/4" plywood base with foam board glued down. I then cut and mold the foam with a wire foam cutter. Then I used a brown latex paint for the undercoat, and white glue to hold the sand/dirt and grass. If you spread the white glue on thinly it gets tacky quickly and it dries pretty clear. The stream was made with Realistic Water from Woodland Scenics.

Shane

Shane S

www.sjscustomdesigns.com

fensoncontracting
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:34:26 PM

Thanks for sharing the pics Shane. I really like your dio, very creative with the arch culverts. It didn't work out for me to attend this year.

Who won all the contest this year, diorama and custom models?
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:44:04 PM

I was looking at those cranes too, didn't totally understand it, sounded way to simple actually, go figure, could've gotten a nice steal or two, maybe 3 Confused
cat594
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:24:04 AM

Cool looking pictures......

Wiliam.....
bigcranes
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:38:43 AM

Cat3116 wrote:
bigcranes wrote:

Mark

I built the custom models. If I can I'll grab some closeups of some of them before they ship out to their new owners in the next couple days.On a side note, I'll have to find the pics of all the cookies you crane guys missed out on. The cranes lined up on the tables in the background of some of the pictures were silent auction items that I'd say 90% of didn't get bid on. Just for example there were several Manitowoc 18000's in different colors with starting bids of $350 that no one bid on. Sure they were already assembled, but for that price they were a steal. If only I had the room I would have taken a couple of them.
Shane

I absolutely love the dozers Shane, they look great.

Mark

Mark L.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts
RowanH
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:10:52 AM

Excellent pictures Shane, those dio's are amazing however your D11R coal dozer is a show stopper! If like you said, you can get more shots before it is sent out, that would be much appreciated!

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

hummer13
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:50:26 PM

Looks great I like the D6 did you make the angle blades?I have been wanting to do one on my D8

Jason

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
JoeS1989
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:52:05 PM

Why does the arm on the 345BL HRD machine violently lean to the left?
Cat3116
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:30:06 PM

hummer13 wrote:
Looks great I like the D6 did you make the angle blades?I have been wanting to do one on my D8

Jason

Yes, I made the angle blades, and the Coal blade on the D11. They are all made from brass. I am almost finished an angle blade for a D8R. Unfortunately I didn't have time to finish it before the Open House.

RowanH wrote:
Excellent pictures Shane, those dio's are amazing however your D11R coal dozer is a show stopper! If like you said, you can get more shots before it is sent out, that would be much appreciated!

Rowan.

I got a couple last night but haven't had time to upload them onto the computer yet. I'll post them in the next couple days.This model was actually inspired by some pictures you've posted so I guess you get some of the credit for it's creation.
Thanks,
Shane

Shane S

www.sjscustomdesigns.com

RowanH
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:06:34 PM

I'm glad they were of some inspiration! I look forward to the new post!

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator