DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Brand new Northwest 25D Dragline model by SpecCast (Photos) Options · View
Redjack Ryan
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 11:51:24 PM

Groups: Member

A package greeted me at the door today after work. Surprisingly it was the Northwest 25D model I had ordered. I figured we would receive them after the Toy Truck'n Construction show.

Check out some photos:

The Box Front

Rear of the box. Nice touch with the history.

In the packaging

Removed from the packaging with all strings put back on the shieves. First thing one may notice is the missing fairlead for the drag cable. Next take a look at the bucket's rigging. The dump string approaching the bucket from the front is tied in a knot around the arch d'oh! This makes dumping the bucket impossible without cutting (it's glued) and re-stringing the dump cable.

Next take a look inside the cab. These are the only 2 locations for a key to control the string... for a 3-string function model. On a Northwest the 2 main drums are side-by-side. SpecCast took a shortcut on the model and made the drums 1 single plastic piece, so 2 functions are controlled at once. Instead of the 2 functions being hoist and drag like on the actual machine, the functions are boom hoist(!) and drag. So as you drag in the bucket, the boom raises, and vice versa when paying out the bucket. The smaller other drum that should normally control boom hoist instead controls the bucket hoist for the model.

Front of the model. The 2 main drums are 1 single piece.

Great details on the inside of the cab with the sliding door opened.

Nice logo on the counterweight.

Next to the Smith Northwest 95 pullshovel

The Northwest model family.

The entire gallery can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40369611@N02/sets/72157621945283119/

So aside from a very detailed and nice-looking model, it has some serious rigging flaws. Is this the cable-excavator equivalent of a Norscot 320C? I think so!

I wonder if I can get my money back from SpecCast? Who am I kidding though, I'll complain about it, but still keep it displayed on my shelf.

I am looking forward to the Toy Truck'n Construction show to give SpecCast my input on the model, for what it's worth. I wonder how many people will be able to enjoy the model for it's dysfunctional functioning.

- Alex
artcat
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:07:31 AM

Alex, that's a fine family you have here!
Redjack Ryan
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:09:09 AM

Thanks, Art! My pickup is orange as well -- I wonder if there's a pattern developing.

- Alex
Digger Dan
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:19:50 AM

Great collection there!! I love the Smith and the CCM units
Look at it this way. The Specast is $ 95? Not near as detailed as say the EMD Bucyrus Erie 22-B but its $ 279.
I was on the Historical Construction Equipment Association website and in their store they have a picture of a Specast Northwest shovel. Not available yet but hopefully they will end up with a drag shovel also like the 3 they did with the Bantams.
ulf
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 2:31:18 AM

Gee, I was all ready to extoll the virtues of Specast models until I started reading your post! d'oh! I still think they are a good deal for the price - my White trucks have their shortcomings also, but where else are you going to get older stuff?
Redjack Ryan
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:10:04 AM

I agree about the good price of the SpecCast models as well as their selection of older models. However, they have already shown they can correctly do a dragline with their Schield Bantam model, which is even smaller than the Northwest. I would have assumed that a smaller model would have lower functionality than a larger one.

I hope they are able to change their methods and rig the shovel and pullshovel models with proper functionality.

-Alex
DanielD
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:51:45 PM

I agree with you Alex. I recieved mine yesterday too. I was hoping they would have corrected some of the short comings for the increase in price over the Schield-Bantam ($69.00), like add the fairlead. But I am really disappointed in the rigging!! I will add the fairlead and the "Northwest" name tags on the boom (they have them on the new pull-shovel & shovel models for this winter) but I am still wondering how do I cut the cable drums in half and and drive the second one. I will also move the operators seat forward so "he" can reach the controls. They put nice detail of an engine and drive componets, but was wasted in that you can't see them without the sliding rear opening. I would have made that non-operating in the "open" position, if nothing else, myself.
I like your collection of Northwest. Nice to see I'm not the only one with NW. Your Smith 95 is great, same as the CCM 190D, I have neither. Thank you for posting the pictures. Dan
northwest
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 6:36:12 PM

each model has its good and bad points: the CCM is really good but the tracks are glued and not articulated, same for the Smith model. However, the undercarriage of this little thing seems real linked pads, even if the pads connections are not exactly accurate
Redjack Ryan
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 8:12:03 PM

The CCM model's tracks do indeed articulate. The Smith model is the only one with 1-piece tracks.