DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Want a few SPMT Axle Lines?........... Options · View
jibtickler
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 8:12:14 PM
Groups: Member

argie wrote:
We had some of these at Ellesmere Port last weekend, but all I shall say on the matter is it didn't go too well for the Mammoet teamd'oh!
Paul

Teeth Teeth Teeth Teeth Teeth Projects division!!

in memory of Biscuit. dearly loved RIP 28.10.08
Lotsacrane
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 10:39:02 PM

Jules ..the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill ...but when you get there ..there's just as many rut's,weeds,and rock's as where you started ..

Ive learned over the years Sterling ,Northern,Mammoet ,All Crane ..the only difference is the men/women you work with..Nobody stays somewhere because of a flag ...

Q-Ball a wolf in Jesus skin ---the sorcerer of reasonable commentary

I smile & wave

Sometimes I think life is just a rodeo,
The trick is to ride and make it to the bell.

[[ Jules ]]
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 11:14:36 PM

Lotsacrane wrote:
Jules ..the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill ...but when you get there ..there's just as many rut's,weeds,and rock's as where you started ..

Ive learned over the years Sterling ,Northern,Mammoet ,All Crane ..the only difference is the men/women you work with..Nobody stays somewhere because of a flag ...

DEWOC! its confusing but this isnt Jules right now.

i guess i just want your guys jobs instead of mine

xoxo Jules
Lotsacrane
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 11:46:34 PM

[[ Jules wrote:
] ]
Lotsacrane wrote:

I reject your reality and substitute my own !!! SMOOCH !!! Teeth

Well ..Hey ..Its not a bad thing to want and do better ....To many hours in a seat though can grind on ya....The good job's though ..have the best men working it ..

And hey dont sweat it ..Before you know it You'll be running a transporter .....And if ya do ...call me ..I want to know if its got air filled wheels ..for certain ..

My fault here ..we're gonna get blasted for running of topic ..Hijacked ..in plain site ...

I smile & wave

[[ Jules ]]
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 11:57:40 PM

i need jibtickler to score me a Mammoet job Whistle and then ill let you know for sure

xoxo Jules
GregP
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 8:53:02 PM

Lotsacrane wrote:
Im gonna stand on foam filled...Reason ...a pneumatic tire would blow at the top of rotation when to much load is induced ..
The SPMT regulates the pressure on each axle via pressure sensor's ..the height and level of the axle by proximity switches.. (i think i saw accumulators under them as well ) ..All this is choreographed though a ECM with in turn ..allows the unit to "caterpillar" along .... In general it is assumed equal loading of the axles ...but in situations where it has to traverse a ramp ,pothole ,dip ..the axles hydraulics's would either be fully retracted or fully extended ...or simply not move as to run the load's center of gravity off center... For those situation's I do believe that a foam filled tire would be more advantageous .
.not to mention ..a nail in a tire on the center boogie wheel... that kind of operation held up due to a flat ..which is sure to happen the more wheels you have .... you could run with a flat or 4 or 5 with that many wheels ..but the other wheels will have to take that load .
.and with untold amounts of money laying on your equipment .... the liability is astronomical.. If there no underwriter ..and yes ..an underwriter has every right to revoke a policy in laid out situation's and conditions ..like being transported .....

The only reason I can think of for not using a foam filled tire is the amount of weight that would be added to the Transporter ..foam filled tires get heavy ...fast ...

So now that I've written my long winded response ..I'll await my flogging ..
Somebody has the correct answer .... And I'm sure right from the mouth of the pachyderm

The tires are air filled. Scheuerle uses a tire manufactured by Continental. It is an IC 40 "deep"-size 355/65-15 tubeless tire, that is manufactured to a 24 ply spec. The maximum rating on them is around 20,000 pounds at, I think, 145 PSI. They are specially designed for extreme puncture resistance, high torque, and extreme loading. The reason they do not use foam filled tires, is because that they do not squat and distribute weight and add traction as an air filled tire will. Also, there is too much labor involved to replace a tire that is foam filled, and they add too much weight. These trailers are heavy enough, with a 6 line weighing nearly 52,000 pounds, and a 4 line weighing slightly over 35,000 pounds.

Also, the suspension is not that complicated. The only electronics involved, are to monitor the pressure on the zones, and control to valves to add or relieve oil from each zone, and this is operator controlled. The sensors and servos that you see on each axle are to control the steering angles for each axle. The suspension is divided into zones, to create a 3 or 4 point system. Oil is allowed to flow freely between a selected number of axles, per zone. It is hard to explain how they work, or setup the suspension without having diagrams. If you notice, each axle has a series of ball valves. These valves are to select the suspension zone that you want that axle on. The seperate zones is what allows you to maintain a level platform.

I am assuming that what you see to be an accumulator, is on the top trailer in the fourth photo? That is one of the two hydraulic cylinders for the steering on the axle. Every axle has these.

One more thing, take notice to the 12th axle from the PPU on the bottom trailer. See how the axle is "pinned up"? That is because they either have a flat, bad line or cylinder, or the steering for that axle it not working properly.

BTW, you can own 32 axle lines, 2 4 line, and 4 6 lines, with two Z100 PPUs for 3.8 million!
Lotsacrane
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:02:22 PM

3.8 million ...

Lem'me see here ...... I got 12 bucks !!!!

I smile & wave

GregP
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:36:40 PM

[[ Jules wrote:
] ]
Lotsacrane wrote:

Dewoc, you can have mine! How often you like to see your pretty lady? I haven't seen mine, or my kids for 3 weeks, and have 1 or 2 more to go. I may have four half million pound pieces to move from Houston to Baytown soon, if you hurry up and get down here, I can give you a crash course on the hydraulic trailers, and you can start earning your first gray hair! We are looking for young, new, and inexperienced men, so we can work thier walnuts off and pay them with green beans.
GregP
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:49:50 PM

We are delivering some electrical control buildings to a refinery in Port Arthor, TX from Houston, TX. We are 22 feet wide, 19 feet high on a 12 line Cometto. Mammoet rolled by us with this. They had two 24 line Scheuerles under it. Oh, we are sitting on the left side of the pic.

Eric Pioszak
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 1:24:00 AM

hulan wrote:
Lotsacrane wrote:
Rack'em ,Pack'em,Stack'em ...

Your first job well be to check all the tire pressure's Hulan ....Hope they give ya a long hose ...

haha. As long as they dont want me to put chains on the tires we're good! Teeth .... Anyone care to help?

Greg

Out here you only need chains on the drive tires. Oh, Wait...Teeth

Eric W. Pioszak, Operating Engineers Local 701, Portland, Oregon

METAL TRACKS AVAILABLE AGAIN!
Cab guards Available again!
Grapples Available again!
Industrialscalemodels[at symbol]Gmail.com
[[ Jules ]]
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 2:09:50 AM

GregP wrote:
[[ Jules wrote:
] ]
Lotsacrane wrote:

Dewoc, you can have mine! How often you like to see your pretty lady? I haven't seen mine, or my kids for 3 weeks, and have 1 or 2 more to go. I may have four half million pound pieces to move from Houston to Baytown soon, if you hurry up and get down here, I can give you a crash course on the hydraulic trailers, and you can start earning your first gray hair! We are looking for young, new, and inexperienced men, so we can work thier walnuts off and pay them with green beans.

and you work for who?

xoxo Jules
ConstructionSite
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 2:15:42 AM

Now that is impressive. I just hope the service tech does'nt need to get to the 3rd unit in row 2 for anything. I would like to see what they were used to move.

GregP wrote:
...if you hurry up and get down here, I can give you a crash course on the hydraulic trailers, and you can start earning your first gray hair! We are looking for young, new, and inexperienced men, so we can work thier walnuts off and pay them with green beans.

Umm Greg, hello! I get winters off and am willing to travel. Anxious

- Chris