DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Caterpillar RM-300? Options · View
orin2007
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 1:23:14 AM
Groups: Member

So I saw one of these todat but I cant figure out what this piece of machinery does and I was hopeing one of the experts can help me. Any info is appreciated.

Antho
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 1:34:18 AM

I don't know how to say it exactly but it crushes asphalt on old roads, instead of using a milling machine to reduce the paving and then pave again on it, you use a machine like this to break the asphalt into real small stone and then you do a new grade with what's left... or you just remove everything, I've seen both.

Casey429
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 1:55:05 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's called a profiler. Anthony was right about its use. It crushes and compacts the old asphalt for re-grading and that is used for the new roadbed.

Eric Pioszak
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 2:03:14 AM

Casey429 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's called a profiler. Anthony was right about its use. It crushes and compacts the old asphalt for re-grading and that is used for the new roadbed.

This is a "Profiler" (AKA milling machine, Cold Planer)

A RM300 is a Rotary-mixer (Hence the RM) AKA Reclaimer, Pulverizer, Soil Stabilizer It pulverizes the asphalt and mixes it in with the gravel underneath, It does not compact in any way, in fact quite the opposite. They are typically followed by a compactor

Eric W. Pioszak, Operating Engineers Local 701, Portland, Oregon

METAL TRACKS AVAILABLE AGAIN!
Cab guards Available again!
Grapples Available again!
Industrialscalemodels[at symbol]Gmail.com
thundercrane
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 3:03:56 AM

We just used one on a job.Does a better job than the milling machine,you just have to pick up the material as opposed to it being loaded.
orin2007
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 3:14:37 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. Just Today was the first time ive seen one
Ted Pihowich
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 3:21:38 AM

Yes, Eric is right, the Soil Stabilizer, Road Reclaimer is used to mix and pulverize existing road tops
that are badly deteorized or pounded out.
In most cases, these roads only had a thin lift of cold mix or chip seal with crush gravel below.
Often a grader is brought in to windrow up the material and relay the road, a type of asphalt oil or emulsion will be added to increase the surface strength
Compaction is also a important part of the job giving a new smooth road top.

Ted
glenhd
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 10:16:58 AM

Had to redo some roads in my park this is what they brought in to reclaim it.

CLAP CLAP CLAP EM!!!!!!!!!!!

"TRIPLE NICKLE" BABY

A little something for a good friend......ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MJW
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 11:46:33 AM

If you mix in cement while operating the stabiliser, it can further help consolidate the ground when compaction is carried out.

A milling machine basically cuts off a top layer of the road surface. A stabiliser works sort of like a huge rotavator.
Martin J.
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 5:41:44 PM

orin2007 wrote:

MJW wrote:
If you mix in cement while operating the stabiliser, it can further help consolidate the ground when compaction is carried out.

I'm doing some work in this area at the moment. Mixing binders such as cement, lime, GGBS, Pulverised Fly Ash, etc. and various combinations of each, with a soil can improve the soils properties such as strength, permeability, settlement etc. Its basically the same principle as mass or column stabilisation but the binder is laid down ahead of the machine and then rotavated or mixed into the soil.

Its a similar machine to Wirtgens soil satabilisers:

Regards,

Martin

Engineering; Its all STRESS and not just Force over Area!
dain555
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 9:20:57 PM

Basically it is a giant rototiller like one uses for a garden with the only difference is this chews up most different kinds of pavement (does have a problem with concrete roads though) and is considerably bigger!

In most cases they will use this to prep large areas that will have concrete laid for floors for places like warehouses, other places are where airfield pavement might go or in the case of roads for heavy traffic areas.

These also are not anything new to construction, they have been around for decades. They machine I used to like to see was in Syracuse NY, looked like a grader but had a gas heater box unit on the front then the blade that moved the material to the center then it was mixed with more asphalt and spread out to be rolled.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Ajax Man
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 2:03:58 AM

These machines are commonly refered to as "Pulverizers" because it pulverizes the road into smaller aggregate particles and is used when roads and parking lots are distressed because the sub-grade underneath is not sutiable for a proper sub-grade or base. Before a job is pulverized, a mix design is used to mix or preportion the correct amount of lime, fly-ash, powdered cement, liquid asphalt, etc. into the sub-grade by mixing it with the existing asphalt road or parking lot surface and pulverizing it into a new aggregate base. From their, the new agg. base is graded and compacted to the proper density so it can handle the proper traffic load.....This practice is becoming more common in Michigan, especially with lime or powdered cement....

"THE KILPATRICK ENTERPRISE IS GOING TO JAIL, MIKE DUGGAN IS MAYOR, SYNDER IS GOVERNOR AND IS FIXING MICHIGAN"

AJAX MATERIALS CORPORATION...AJAX PAVING INDUSTRIES....BLACK OR WHITE, WE PAVE MICHIGAN

diggerdude
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 5:15:31 AM

Road Reclaimers as there are known are fairly common in australia as there used to upgrade the subsoil as Ajax Man said there usually a number of machines used in this type of work (The usual grader caterpillar or volvo 2,3 Padfoot rollers and Soil compacters wheel loaders ,Lime spreders (towed or self propelled) water Carts,Dump trucks plus other support equipment) also important note that this amount of equipment is mostly owned by the RTA with mostly all the equipment painted orange with makes for a interesting site

Road reclaimers can also be equiped with different rotors for different soil types and then can be set up with different point attack that can help in the soil satabilision of the sub grade also Ive heard from a number of people that the caterpillar machines are capable of delivering up to a 1000 litres of water per a minute but weather this is true or not I do not know

http://www.cat.com/cmms/images/C312673.pdf
http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=111775&x=7