DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Dragline boom dropped.... Now the story can be seen. Options · View
gbarnewall
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 8:43:32 PM

Groups: Member

the drum brakes weren't made by Toyota by any chance? Think Think Teeth

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

skizmog
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 8:57:53 PM

Was everyone ok?

-Brett
jdofmemi
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 9:34:50 PM

My question is this:

Why was the Transi-lift so close that the dragline boom hit it on the way down? I looked at the video before it started to play and thought "The crane is too close"
Did they plan on lowering it a bit, then backing up the crane? If so, that seems like a risky proposition.

Any crane people have some insight on this?

Jerry
Lotsacrane
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 9:57:22 PM

jdofmemi wrote:
My question is this:

Why was the Transi-lift so close that the dragline boom hit it on the way down? I looked at the video before it started to play and thought "The crane is too close"
Did they plan on lowering it a bit, then backing up the crane? If so, that seems like a risky proposition.

Pretty much standard ..a general rule of thumb ..what a crawler can pick it can carry..

I don't know the weights but ..the scenario laid out there was a great example of crane ballet..just to bad she went through the winch ...

Q-Ball a wolf in Jesus skin ---the sorcerer of reasonable commentary

I smile & wave

Sometimes I think life is just a rodeo,
The trick is to ride and make it to the bell.

DeWoc19
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 10:04:09 PM

Lotsacrane wrote:
jdofmemi wrote:
My question is this:

Pretty much standard ..a general rule of thumb ..what a crawler can pick it can carry..

I don't know the weights but ..the scenario laid out there was a great example of crane ballet..just to bad she went through the winch ...

i didnt know all crawlers could crawl with their load, i thought that was specialty to the real large machines like Transi-Lifts
Lotsacrane
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 10:12:19 PM

Manitowoc 111 to CC8800 twin ..they can crawl with a load ..thats the whole idea of having tracks ..well that and site mobilty no outriggers ..coupled with massive capacities compared to hyro's of the same capacity..
..conditions are laid out in the manual ..dont expect a crawler to crawl with 400ft of stick in with a load ..That why its a general rule of thumb ..every crane is a little different in this respect..

Last big job i was on we walked 84 ton on a CC2400 ,slicker than snot ..nice and smooth ..crane ballet ...

I smile & wave

DeWoc19
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 10:19:04 PM

well i would imagine that crawling forward and backward.... not so much of a big deal, it would be turning that i dont think would be good for the crane.... i knew you could do some forward and backward movement here and there, but full out walking for healthy distances (and im not talking miles or thousands of feet even)
cranedude07
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 10:36:09 PM

most of the time, they try to plan on keeping the crawlers straight with no turning but sometimes you just have to make a turn or 2, but im sure they try everything to keep from turning while walking with the load

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
PileDriving
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 10:58:17 PM

gbarnewall wrote:
the drum brakes weren't made by Toyota by any chance? Think Think Teeth

LOL!!!!!!!!!!Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Justin
cat594
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 12:51:18 AM

Man what a mess......

William....
Gavin84w
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 6:39:04 AM

There's also another video on a little hiccup with this dragline when they went to walk it back wards and it slammed down on some stands, this shutdown on that dragline was not a rousing success by a long margin
Chris5500
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 7:43:53 AM

After all this dragline talk recently I've discovered I've got a bit of a soft spot for the big girls, I can see myself working on them one day Think

jdofmemi
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 1:20:35 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Another question:
Would this lift have been planned to lower the load a bit, then back up, then lower a bit more, then repeat?

It seems to me that the load must have been close to maximum or something. Otherwise I would expect to see the crane a little farther out, then lower the load and slight boom up as it is coming down to keep the lines straight, unless the load is too much to start out at a slightly lower boom angle.

I am jusyt trying to learn a little more. I have only limited crane experience, so it is nice to learn more.

Jerry
627push/pull
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 2:55:11 PM

jdofmemi wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Another question:
Would this lift have been planned to lower the load a bit, then back up, then lower a bit more, then repeat?

It seems to me that the load must have been close to maximum or something. Otherwise I would expect to see the crane a little farther out, then lower the load and slight boom up as it is coming down to keep the lines straight, unless the load is too much to start out at a slightly lower boom angle.

I am jusyt trying to learn a little more. I have only limited crane experience, so it is nice to learn more.

I have never been around one of those Lampsons, unfortunately. They look like they would be easier to track straight forwards or backwards, then to swing like a regular crane. (They have two sets of crawlers connected by that tubular part.) Maybe that's why they were in front of the dragline boom like that? Think I don't know. Lampson rigs like that are a rare bird, I only saw one from a long distance, and it looked like they boomed up an down without swinging very much.

Dump on the edges, the middle will take care of itself.
Never look down on ANYONE! Unless it is to lift them up.
ulf
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 3:37:50 PM

Very instructive thread and great pics as always Tim... Applause Applause
Lotsacrane
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 4:10:00 PM

jdofmemi wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Another question:

In principal ..yes ..that's what would happen ..However ..being operators, every effort would have been made to keep a nice and easy flow of a backing up and lowering the load ..with out stopping ..
Dynamically ..its alot easier to keep controlled movement than starting and stopping ..which would require constant timing ..once you get going and everybody's in the pipe and its going nice and easy ..no point stopping unless it was very necessary..

I smile & wave

jdofmemi
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 6:27:21 PM

Thanks again

Makes sense to me now. Seems best to keep moving as you say. I was not sure if you could adjust travel speed that easily to match the load lowering. Only crawler cranes I was around I never got to see move. Someone told me once it was hard to tram and hoist at the same time, so that's all I had to go on.

That's why you guys are the crane operators, and I will stick with dirt iron, and just watch the cranes.

Jerry
lkuretich
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 6:37:27 PM

When we lowered the boom on a BE 1260 at P&M Edna Mine in 1987, we rerouted the ropes from the drag drum through additional sheaves, which were welded in place in front of the drum, (I was one of the welders) and used the machine power to perform the job. I remember all the time while welding, about how much weight this was going to have to carry.

The boom was then hauled back. pennant lines removed, then lowered to the ground, so we could pull the tub for rework, a whole other story.

I will try to find so pictures of that job and post.

Larry
a Cutter
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 8:26:33 PM

a Cutter
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 8:27:24 PM

lkuretich wrote:
When we lowered the boom on a BE 1260 at P&M Edna Mine in 1987, we rerouted the ropes from the drag drum through additional sheaves, which were welded in place in front of the drum, (I was one of the welders) and used the machine power to perform the job. I remember all the time while welding, about how much weight this was going to have to carry.
The boom was then hauled back. pennant lines removed, then lowered to the ground, so we could pull the tub for rework, a whole other story.
I will try to find so pictures of that job and post.
Larry

Yes please do so if you can. I would find it quite interesting to see.

Chris