DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Wirtgens New Giant Options · View
TimT
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:45:07 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

With Bauma topic and the showing of the worlds largest "Surface Miner" from Wirtgen, I thought some would like to see some pics.... 200 metric tons, 1,600 hp V16 Cummins, and able to produce 12,000 tons a day, this is one big,bad, boy.Fortescue Metals has one working now in the Pilbara iron ore region of Western AU and five more coming.

Paul Crane
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:37:51 PM
Groups: Member

Tim,
What's it used for ? I'm guessing it's not pavement milling. How do you mine with one of these ? TFS
JustinE
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:32:09 PM

Paul Crane wrote:
Tim,
What's it used for ? I'm guessing it's not pavement milling. How do you mine with one of these ? TFS

It's a milling machine for surface mining. Basically you'd put this machine ontop of ur minerals and it would work just like a cold planner...grind up the minerals and load it into the trucks. These machines are only good for certain applications in surface mining such as flat terrain and softer material.

-Justin

"Everyone's Goal Is To Mine More Coal!"
PAmining
http://www.youtube.com/user/PAmining
DeWoc19
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:50:47 PM

now im a little confused by this.... conveyor on one end and operators cab on the other.... im thinking it may be a little hard to either see the trucks or see where you are going, but i could be missing the bigger picture here, so someone please enlighten me
Gd10r
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:52:00 PM

Tim, thanks I saw this in the bauma post earlier. I have seen rotomills used to mine gypsum here in Colorado, this would be a monster. 5 More in the pit, any feedback on how this is holding up? I can't imagine a more destructive activity than MILLING iron ore, probally saves a heap on processing costs but is it justified?? Thanks for the response.
Now to get nzg to do a model of one, a showpiece on the shelf........loading a 785 truck.

Graham

Still Plays with Toys
JustinE
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:25:02 PM

DeWoc19 wrote:
now im a little confused by this.... conveyor on one end and operators cab on the other.... im thinking it may be a little hard to either see the trucks or see where you are going, but i could be missing the bigger picture here, so someone please enlighten me

They conveyor loads the trucks to the side of the machine.

-Justin

"Everyone's Goal Is To Mine More Coal!"
PAmining
http://www.youtube.com/user/PAmining
DeWoc19
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:40:37 PM

i realize that it can load to the side but not always do you do it that way and on the normal road milling machine you stand in the middle and have a clear view of what you are looking at, in those pictures the cab is all the way to the other end
TimT
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:40:51 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The cab moves up, down, ... the boom loads off to the side or rear, the machine can work on side hills,and some rough terrain as it self levels... look at the cylinders and track suspension linkage. The cutter head works just like a pavement milling machine. Line it up and go..."GPS equipped I'm sure" maybe laser alignment??
Cutter head maintains depth of cut if desired, or levels high areas... Very productive system I'm sure. With that weight and power and constant production I bet its a huge money maker. It must work as they have had one for some time and are getting more. Fortescue Metals had this machine built for there own needs and worked in conjunction with Wirtgen. They already have several of the smaller models and have been very happy. They just made it twice the size....and production. I'm sure they pepare the working area for these machines so that maximum preformance is assured. I would guess they use dozers, graders and other equipmnet to get a nice flat area for them to keep working 24-7.The machine is designed for hard rock applications or softer materials if you want. My guess would be cutter drum weight or diameter would make the difference on what type of material you are mining.
a Cutter
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:58:34 PM

All I can say is WOW!

A forth coming model of this is required for sure.

Chris
Gavin84w
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 12:49:36 AM

Fortescue have 30 odd 777F,s that work in conjunction with the surface miners on iron ore extraction. O/B is hndled by a big fleet O & K & Unit rig trucks, think they have some oddball maybe russian bulldozers there too.
Greasemonkey
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 1:03:42 AM

DeWoc19 wrote:

Since the trucks are loading beside the machine, it's not that hard for the operator to see them, plus, the machines would be equipped with cameras all around for a good view of what's happening around the machine.

Brian

DeWoc19
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 1:17:49 AM

yeah thats what i was looking for! i knew that they turned to the side some but i didnt know how that turned to the side THAT much... thanks, i understand now
DPD1
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 2:43:46 AM

Wow, that's cool... I never knew of such a thing.

Dave
renaultman
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 7:13:25 AM

you don't realize how big it is until you see the cab. What a machine.

leo-cat
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 8:21:19 AM

Here´s what I think is Wirtgens biggest competitor in the suface-miner-buisiness: http://www.takraf.com/de/newsundmedia/downloads/files/surface_miner_en.pdf

I don´t know about their current prodct line but Takraf used to build the so called MTS2000.
It had a 3400hp engine. It was capable of mining around 3800yd³/h at peak performance. Maximum cutting height was 5ft. Cutting width was 24ft.

The machine shown in the brochure (TSM300) is the second smallest one.
Short data overview: 1000hp, 570yd³/h, width 13ft, max height 3ft.

There is a costom build 1/50 scale model of a MAN Takraf Surface miner somewhere around. I just can´t find any pics of it. Maybe someone else has a picture of it.

Leo
M.H.W. Smits
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 9:00:29 AM

Leo,

I guess you are talking about the MAN TAKRAF MTS1250 built by Horst Möhler:

The website: www.hm-baumaschinen.de

Regards,

Martijn

leo-cat
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 9:08:49 AM