DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Versa crane in Dallas*bye Versa** Options · View
cranedude07
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 12:34:00 AM

Groups: Member

another great set of photos, i just dont like that design for the "a-frame or gantry", just my opinion, keep em coming thoughApplause

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
ConstructionSite
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 1:58:03 AM

Great photos you guys! It looks like she is set up in a perfect spot. Please, please keep the photos coming!

- Chris Teeth
hummer13
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2010 9:42:43 PM

Ok I got lucky today and got a chance to get out from work. You know exactly where I drove to the Versa Teeth I drove by and got a great surprise no one was there. So I turned around went down on the service road and parked. They also had the concrete beams they were lifting there. The drivers came up to me and were asking about my pictures. We talked for a while I was taking pics so you will see them in the pics. They had to deliver 8 of these beast only the 2 of them. They picked them up in San Antonio and drive them up to here. The beams weigh 200,000 pounds each I forgot to ask the length but they are very long Smile
Here is some of the pics I will link the folder of them at the end of the post

You can get a feeling of the size counter weight stack with the guy next to it

The beams

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
hummer13
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2010 9:45:08 PM

LTM 1220

Nikl Scale Models
hummer13
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2010 9:49:45 PM

looking in the cab

What a awesome time I have climbed on a 21000 and Versa all in one week I am loving lifeTeeth

A few more

Here is the link to all of them. Versa

They are doing the lifts at midnight because they are closing roads, If I lived closer I would go up and get some night pics

Hope you liked these as much as I did

Jason

Nikl Scale Models
Fritz W.
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2010 10:09:57 PM

I see concrete beams heading East along I-10 on the West side of Houston from my job site. Sometimes you see packs of 3-4 trucks hauling these type of beams. Seen a pair of trucks, that were empty, going South on I-59 heading back towards I-10 the other day. They have a group of steel I beam boxes setting on the ground at the interchange of I-59 and the Beltway for the new ramps going East.
Jason you could have a field day of photos down here now. Probably for the last year at least they have been working full speed ahead on completing the last leg of interstate highway for Beltway-8 from I-59 East down around South to I-10. To many bridges and overpasses to count all being built at the same time along with all the roadway construction.
FritzCool
cranedude07
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2010 10:47:37 PM

exellent photos again jason, sure are one lucky manWinkAni , cant wait to see more

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
DeWoc19
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2010 11:34:54 PM

wow those are some long beams and that hanging CW tray is huge with CWs.... unreal man, you sure are a lucky guy, very cool crane man!!!
RowanH
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 7:42:27 AM

That is one of the most bizarre yet interesting large crawlers I've ever seen. Great pictures guys! Was this built by Deep South or is Versa the manufacturer? If so, where was it manufactured and what's it's capacity. Are the secondary lines hanging off the back mast for another set of counterweights? Finally, what is the cord as pictured below? Sorry for all the Q's, I did a quick search and didn't come up with much.

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

Fritz W.
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 8:18:50 AM

I would say it is a grounding clamp for something.
FritzCool
Paul Crane
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 8:58:04 AM

Rowan,
That looks like a lightning grounding wire. I believe Deep South makes their own cranes. The secondary lines hanging off the back are for the counterweight tray the guy is standing next to. The CC-9600 is a 750 ton crane.

http://www.deepsouthcrane.com/equi_vers.asp
Randal
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 12:08:13 PM

Great shots of a very elusive machine. Congratulations.

How about a shot of the boom tip?

It would also be interesting to see how the lower cwts attach to the crawlers and carbody.

Randal

ulf
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 1:55:23 PM

Randal wrote:
Great shots of a very elusive machine. Congratulations.

Geez, that is a friggin' monster...
hummer13
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 2:45:53 PM

Thanks guys ,I am thinking about going over tonight at midnight a watch this in action? Not sure yet it is quite a drive from the house. The cable running from the crawler is a grounding cable in casse of lighting strikes, we have had some storms blow up here in the afternoons. The drivers were saying that the crane has broke down the other night that is why they were still sitting around doing nothing. They were asking me about the 21000 I guess the word has spread this thing is here in Dallas. I showed them the pics I had on my camera and they wanted to know how to get to it.
I will try to get some more pictures of this crane like the attment point and things like that which have been asked for. Any other requests let me know and I will try to fill them.
Jason

Nikl Scale Models
hummer13
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 2:54:26 PM

Fritz W. wrote:
I see concrete beams heading East along I-10 on the West side of Houston from my job site. Sometimes you see packs of 3-4 trucks hauling these type of beams. Seen a pair of trucks, that were empty, going South on I-59 heading back towards I-10 the other day. They have a group of steel I beam boxes setting on the ground at the interchange of I-59 and the Beltway for the new ramps going East.
Jason you could have a field day of photos down here now. Probably for the last year at least they have been working full speed ahead on completing the last leg of interstate highway for Beltway-8 from I-59 East down around South to I-10. To many bridges and overpasses to count all being built at the same time along with all the roadway construction.
FritzCool

I wish I was closer to Houston I would take some day trips that way. One of these days I will get down there though.

Jason

Nikl Scale Models
plumber
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 2:54:34 PM

Randal, Here is a relatively close shot of the tip prior to booming up. Should have got closer but didnt. Am looking forward to sunday. Jason and I are going to get a few more shots..hopefully. And of course they are lifting at midnight. Am on nights again and it's right in the middle of my shift. Turd heads would have to lift at night.Confused Teeth Cool Shots Jason! Looking forward to Sunday. Good luck if you head over tonight.

DC Craneman
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 5:00:29 PM

To my knowledge, the Versa Crane is built by Deep South themselves. This is an crane much like the Lampson Trans-Lift product other than I am not aware of Deep South selling any as Lampson has. So I shall confirm the earlier opinion express in the forum regarding manufacturer.
Randal
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 7:26:54 PM

Plumber - great shots. Thanks again for the boom tip pic.

It looks like its constructed as an open throat top rather than an offset or hammer head. I'd be interested in one of the front (under side in the photo).

Randal
hummer13
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 12:32:44 PM

Ok guys I have sacrifices a nice night of sleep and went to the site to watch the Versa in action. I was told the lifts are around midnight so I left the house at 11:30 and got to the site about 12:15am. They were preping one of the beams which took for ever to get the support beams on the ends for the beam to rest on once it is in place. I was talking to a guy there and he told me these are the biggest and longest concrete beams in the state of Texas. They are 160 feet long and weigh 260,000 pounds.Here are a few pics of the pick, man it took forever to get this up I finally left the site once my battery was dead at 4 this morningTeeth who needs to sleep

The beam, you can see the support beams on the ends of the beam. these will hold the beam in place til they get them all set in.

the crane ready for lifting

Getting the lifting cables attached

They were using the 1220 to position the other cable into place

I took a night vision pic just trying something different

Nikl Scale Models
hummer13
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 12:42:54 PM

Here we go 130 tons flying in the air.

I have never seen this before this crane had 2 small winches on the counter weight. They attach the 2 lines to the beam and it was an automactic tag line system. As they would lift and start to slew the piece would start to rotate and they would stop and use the system to control the piece and then start turning again.

Slowly they got the beam turned

Finally they got it all the way around about 30 minutes

Time to hook up the additional weights for booming out

Once they got the weights hooked up they lifted the weight sled off the ground a few inches. Man when they were lifting the sled up and you could just hear the strain and creeking of the cables, you could just hear how much weight there was there

Booming out

Nikl Scale Models