DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Plumber family outing. Cool pick and carry with bridge girders. Options · View
plumber
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 10:15:15 PM

Groups: Member

Went out today to take the family to the see the grassy knoll and all the JFK sights. Decided to go check on the big bridge. We watched these two American cranes pick up this girder and crawl over to the bridge. It was amazing to see how quick they moved. they were crawling so fast they were kicking up dust. These guys worked well together. They had to make a small turn at the end and never skipped a beat. They stopped briefly to lift and then continued. This whole sequence took about three minutes tops.

I know you are wondering about the 21000 in the background. And yes we got some killer shots, but I will let Jason post whatever he gets this Sunday since it was his topic. I just could not make it Sunday. Today was my only chance. But here is a semi close up of the arch. It's hard to see but there were two iron workers up there. 400+ft high in the blistering heat. Poor guys.

This is one of a few bridges going in over the next couple of years. The others are not as high, but they also have large arches so they should have some pretty large cranes working around here for a few years. Anyway, hope Jason gets some good close ups Sunday. (and no the big white bird did not fly into the boom..ha ha) Later fellas.

Shawn
PileDriving
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 10:21:57 PM

Sick shots Shawn....Man I would love a American crawler model. I REALLY want the 9310!

Justin
gbarnewall
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 10:29:07 PM

brilliant set of pics!! those crawlers look so good,we do need to see some in 1/50,
great day too,thanks for sharing

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

cranedude07
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 11:14:15 PM

awesome pics shawn, id also like to see all 3 cranes in 1/50

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
plumber
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 12:18:40 AM

Thanks gentlemen. As awesome as the big Manitowoc is, There is just something about an American crawler that is pretty sweet. Especially if it is not old and beat to heck. I too would pay good money for a 1/50. Mayby not CCM prices, but I would consider paying several hundred dollars for one. NZG is on a role lately......We can hope?Pray
thd56
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 12:45:26 AM

Great pics! Never realized they had that much mobility with a load like that, especially in tandem. Thanks for posting.

Chris
ulf
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 2:22:19 AM

Some great operator work between the two Americans. A dual crane pick and carry requires some top-flight planning and co-ordination. What is the story on the big arch? Texas getting jealous of St. Louis or something?? Think
Lil' Danny
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:20:47 AM

That's a great find ! One of the cranes ( crane on the left in the first picture ) looks very much like an American 9280 to me, which are very few and far between these days.

- Danny

footloose52
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 8:57:02 AM

This is a 1:50 scale DIO isn't it,? especially with the lady & three girls, with the cranes behind them, very realistic, I almost can believe it to be real,,
very strange! None the less the photography is great
Peter
ilikecranes
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 12:20:44 PM

very nice shots..what is the location of the 21000 again, it's time for a trip.

and, for the Dallas area people, there are three large liebher's crawlers at 635/121/114 interchange just north of DFW airport (looked like 1280 with no jib)...lots of construction going on there, eventually I'll make it back for pix.
plumber
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 12:39:16 PM

ilikecranes wrote:
very nice shots..what is the location of the 21000 again, it's time for a trip.

and, for the Dallas area people, there are three large liebher's crawlers at 635/121/114 interchange just north of DFW airport (looked like 1280 with no jib)...lots of construction going on there, eventually I'll make it back for pix.

You should really try to make it over there. (today if possible). head toward downtown from any direction and the crane is hard to miss at over 400 ft in the air. You can see it from fifteen miles away in north Dallas. I'm affraid Jason is right, I don't think it will be there much longer. They may use it to string the cables on the bridge but I'm not sure. The site is down on Sundays so it's a good day to go.
plumber
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 12:42:35 PM

ulf wrote:
What is the story on the big arch? Texas getting jealous of St. Louis or something?? Think

Teeth Maybe!Teeth
Newcrane
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 2:37:42 PM

gbarnewall wrote:
brilliant set of pics!! those crawlers look so good,we do need to see some in 1/50,
great day too,thanks for sharing

Agreed completely. ...and yes I know there is 1/48 scale out there, but it is not a 1/50th
hummer13
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 4:01:02 PM

Me and jake were there earlier I got close ups of the americans
I will post the 21000 pic later once the wife is done with her school work
The 21000 site is now lockdown with no trespassing signs. You have to get access from the state to go in therwe now. I did not see the sign until we were leaving Shhh

Jason

NIkl Scale Models

cat594
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 10:24:34 PM

Very cool pictures.....

William.....
ConstructionSite
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 11:14:01 PM

Great catch, great set of photos! This is my vote for "Forum Photo of the Year: Cookie Category":

plumber wrote:

Fantastic shot! I bow to you sir.

- Chris Applause
plumber
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 12:39:17 AM

Chris,
Thank you very much. I am getting that one framed for sure. Here is an interesting picture. I pointed out the two men on the arch and after a few waves I caught this pic. I can only assume he was waving back at us. Who knows from that far upSmile . However the girls got a kick out of it.
Thanks again,
Shawn

DC Craneman
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 9:59:03 AM

I'd have to go pull some of my reference materials, but I am going to suggest 9310s or 9320s. The 9280s were very limited and likely "specials." The 9280s are in a class around New York like the big 900s Crane and Machinery had built for the various tunnel contractors for use around Chicago some years ago. The 9280s are not listed in any of the normal guides. I am going to suggest that the 9280s were originally built for Castaldo though I am uncertain.

The big standard machines were the 9299 at 165 tons with 300 feet of boom and 100 feet of jib in the long reach version. While built until almost American's demise, it was their flagship until about 1970 or 1971. The 9310 was introduced around the same time as the Manitowoc 4100 and was a 225 ton machine. The main long boom was 350 feet with the 100 feet of jib. The final variant and introduced later was the 9320 at 250 tons. It used the same booms lenghts as the 9310. The 9320 was also available in a tower attachment which with tower, lufifing boom and jib went to 480 feet.

American offered three boom tips of which several included more than one section. The longest used a 50 foot inner tapered and an outer 50 foot further tapered tip section. It is sometimes called the Castaldo tip in honor of I am sure the customer that requested it first. Castaldo was a New York City area owner of large long reach Americans and I suspect likewise the owners of the initial 9280s. At one time it was they and Gerosa's Manitowoc 4100 crawlers. Interesting to note the Gerosa ran the Americans in the truck variants. There very very few sheeves in this tip as you usually only ran a single or double part.

The heaviest was the McHugh tip which is all sheeves and was used on very short booms. Again named after the requesting customer. It would the needed parts for a 250 ton or more lift. While McHugh drove the creation of the earlier big American truck cranes, they also indicate that they had a 265 ton crawler. Again this is not a normal American truck model. Likewise they supposedly went to 500 feet of boom or more. I am almost certain that this was not a self erecting configuration.

Maybe some of our New York area members know more. Otherwise I'll have to track down an old Chicago area acquaintance who might know.

The pictured cranes are definitely of the 900 series at their finest. We can always look for 1000 series and 1100 series as they existed as well in very small numbers. These were the American response to the big Lima's and P&H's at 300 tons and were respectively 350 and 450 ton Machines. Only Link Belt in an earlier attempt at the big machine market attempted to compete with 250, 300, 400 and 500 ton machines. I believe these were the 718, 818, 918 and 1018s.

Those pictured seem to have the standard boom tip which was a balance between capacity and reach.
eef7260
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 5:50:01 PM

Thanks a lot for these pic's Shawn
they are great , must have been nice to see the 2 working together.
Have not seen any tandem lifts with Americans here on the forum as far as i know.
So i guess you are the first one to post them .
I think they are both 9310's

(about the the 1000 serie there was only one made , that's what i heard and it used to be on a dutch offshore craneship for a long time.
So not many people have really seen one so here is a pic of it. )

Eef

***Flickr American cranes group***3D printed crane parts at I.materialise

northwest
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:11:56 AM

Thank you Plumber for these nice pics, the cranes are definitely 9310's, not the 9320 whose the undercarriage is more heav. I'm building one in 1/10th scale, i have enough blueprints but the 9320 cranes are rare, especially with white Terex colour.

DC craneman: thank for your details , i am fascinated by American crane and early truck crane from this St Paul company based, McHugh had an impressive fleet o heavy American crane, but through the rare pictures i have, it seems like if each american heavy truck crane was sepcially designed for the customer? there are really some differences ... not like for the P&H big trucks cranes which were in the same design ( some had a different truck carrier cab but tthat's all).

My big project would be to mount my upper 1/10 american body on a carrier, like the compact ones used by McHugh: i really like their carrier used for their big 250 T cranes.