DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

crazy PC400 under carriage Options · View
Jimi
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 11:37:15 PM

Groups: Member

627push/pull wrote:
Jimi wrote:
I was just being funny as I think Eric was too... not gonna speak for Eric though. Now for me personally I honestly did realize that the undercarriage is probably not how that pc400 came from the factory, nor did I have any belief that you'd haul it without taking off or at least pulling the track frames in. That being said, maybe brushing a tree branch or rarely taping a crumb with the counterweight is nearly inevitable, but you shouldn't need someone there to tell you that you are too close to a pile or barrier or whatever people hit to polish their counterweights.

Instead of a spotter, I personally rely on these shiny things called mirrors, they do work when adjusted properly. Spotters are good for digging around existing structures/utilies (above or below ground). Never seen a crane with paint buffed off the counterweights.. but hey, that's just my opinion, what do I knowThink

Jimi, I wasn't picking on you, you don't seem to have issues about counterweights as some people here have, sorry if it seemed like that.
If you are on a big site job, or bailing out of a borrow pit, you have lots of room to swing around behind you and see. If you are on a narrow utility right-of-way (easement), with guy wires for poles going every which way, or a refinery or chemical plant, or on a city street, unless you have a short tailswing machine you literally might not have room to swing 180 degrees. And mirrors are great, but there are still blind spots. If someone is standing directly behind the cw you might not see them, no matter how many mirrors you checked. And if someone (who works there) is standing there doing nothing but watching the machine work anyway, it would be helpful of them to look behind you if you can't see. And cranes generally set in one spot and pick from there they (usually) do not have to continually move to do their job. And if people gave the operator 5 seconds or so to position the machine before screaming "COME ON, COME ON, LET'S GO" maybe counterweight paint might last longer.

Yeah, I understand. I guess I'm tired and just feeling a bit more rammy than normal tonight, no hard feelings. I realize that impatient supers and sometimes the easement make things damn near impossible, but I guess I feel like if I swing into a bush or dirt pile and don't care what happens next time when it's a foreman vehicle, live telephone pole or god forbid a person. An extra set of eyes is of course always appreciated. Enough of that though, back to the great photos of a rather unique setup:d/

regards,
Jim

"Once again, concussion by safety" -Mike Rowe