DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Bucyrus 295B Options · View
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 11:23:30 AM
Groups: Member

I am wondering if these came with Cooper-Bessemer engines ? Reason being, General Electric locomotives use to be powered by these same engines.

Cooper-Bessemer's sound an awful lot like them. Just as the old Alco locomotive had their own unique sound,the CB's sound like old GE units.

If so, I wonder where mining company's get parts for these shovel engines ?

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

Mark Bridle
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 1:28:56 PM

Um I'm confused. BE 295B shovels are all electric. Well apart from those at Beener Coal. They were Cummins....I think

Regards

Mark Bridle
TimT
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 8:43:18 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Mark is correct, All BE 295 shovels are straight electric with the exception of the Tri-Star Mining units, which are shop built diesel/electrics and they use Cummins Engines. The older has twin V-16's I think K-series and the newer unit has a single QSK-60 V-16 at 3,000 hp.
JustinE
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 11:52:23 PM

TimT wrote:
Mark is correct, All BE 295 shovels are straight electric with the exception of the Tri-Star Mining units, which are shop built diesel/electrics and they use Cummins Engines. The older has twin V-16's I think K-series and the newer unit has a single QSK-60 V-16 at 3,000 hp.

Tim, correct me if I'm wrong, but arn't those two the largest diesel shovels in the world now?

-Justin

"Everyone's Goal Is To Mine More Coal!"
PAmining
http://www.youtube.com/user/PAmining
Greasemonkey
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 12:01:12 AM

As a cable machine, I think they are the largest diesel powered. But there are hydraulic shovels that beat it I would say.

Brian
JustinE
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 12:03:00 AM

Greasemonkey wrote:
As a cable machine, I think they are the largest diesel powered. But there are hydraulic shovels that beat it I would say.

Brian

Yeah that's what I meant, thanks.

-Justin

"Everyone's Goal Is To Mine More Coal!"
PAmining
http://www.youtube.com/user/PAmining
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 2:09:05 AM

TimT wrote:

Thank you Tim T & Mark. Found a video of a Tri-star mining shovel on this gentleman's you-tube. Love the sound !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53qJr3_C9SQ

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 2:12:22 AM

Greasemonkey wrote:

Brian

Brian,

What shovels do you guys operate in the tar sands ?

-Unknown

Greasemonkey
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 2:30:20 AM

JustinE wrote:
Yeah that's what I meant, thanks.

I figured that's what you meant Justin.

FiatAllisHD41 wrote:
What shovels do you guys operate in the tar sands ?

We have P&H 4100TS, 4100 BOSS, 4100C BOSS, BI 495HF, 595B, and a Marion 351M. There were also Marion 301Ms here, but I believe they have all been retired. The 351M may have also been retired, and the 595Bs are in the process of being retired.

Brian
RPFowler
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:32:32 AM

Brian

Are you sure the 595Bs are being retired????? I thought it was the 495's that were being retired! LOL

Shhh Shhh
Kevin Bridle
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 12:36:28 PM

Brian,
Does the BE 495 have the 595B and 351M lower works, is it the original 495 BE bits that actually give the most probs, if the question is indiscreet then I understand.

regards
Kevin