DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Lima made more than just locomotives. Options · View
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:11:26 PM
Groups: Member

Some may say that Lima locomotives were the cadillacs of their days. Well they made more than just locomotives. To start,one of my personal favorites is the Lima 2400 dragline. You don't see the numbers as they once were.
Even harder to find large pictures of. Shoot they also made many other things {still researching}.

If you have storys or photos please post them. I my humble opinion the dragline's,cranes ect . Looked like they mean business all the time.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

EdG
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 4:49:30 PM

I have several Lima catalogues from the 50's and 60's - they had a very complete line of machines from 1/2 yd up to the 6 yd 2400. They also had a complete line of crawler and truck cranes - many large steel erection projects of that vintage had Lima crawlers (Bethlehem Steel's Fabricated Steel Construction Division had a bunch).

What I find noteworthy is that in the late 60's and 70's P&H, American and Lima led the way with 300 ton crawlers and truck cranes - Manitowoc wasn't there. And Link Belt (Link Belt Speeder, later LBS) didn't have notable cranes till the Japanese invested in the company.

Yes, Lima had a wonderful reputation - one wonders if Clark had not bought them, what would have happened - would they have survived on their own or did they need a strong owner with deep pockets?
fonz518a
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:01:38 PM

I love reading history lessons on old vintage crane/dragline companys, please keep it goin.
DumpsterToy
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:42:42 PM

Being an old timer,(seventy three yrs young) I can recall a lot of Lima const equipment. They made a real different type of viabrating compactor. It looked something like a large school bus body with four earthmover sized tires. As best as I can recall it had several rows of flat compactor plates running under it. It belonged to a company by the name of V.N. Holderman out of Columbus, Ohio. I have both of the Lima 2400s from CCM. I will try and get them out of their case tomorrow andget aa few pictures of them for posting.
QuAD
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 5:44:49 AM

Here a photo from the Caterpillar news service.

Working at the canyon wall of basalt and talus above the John Day Dam site.
Lima 2400 shovel with 8 - yard Esco bucket loads huge Cat 660- Athey PW 660 bottom dump wagon in seven to eight passes.

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 5:59:10 AM

Beautiful machine ! Just don't build them as rugged as they use too. Over engineered as most equipment for their time was built.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

dain555
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 1:34:31 PM

I remember the Lima brand cranes and shovels growing up in the 60s and 70s when I used to go to work with my brother.

Another unit they made was a cable operated backhoe.

Come to think of it (I have CRS sometimes) I had a model of a Lima Shovel that was "key" operated I think it was around 1:64 scale.

Super pic QuAD, love those old machines!!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
DumpsterToy
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 2:58:27 PM

I went back through my old Equipment Echoes ffrom the Historical Construction Equipment Assocation, and found acover photo of a Lima 2400 backhoe. The book does not have any written artical on this machine. As I can recall it was the only 2400 hoe made. The magazine is dated spring 2002. I have no idea as to how this picture could be reprinted for showing on this sight. For once I have saved a magazine and got some use from it.
DC Craneman
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 6:50:41 PM

The Limas were very popular with the steel erectors as they had good line speed which allowed one to quickly set steel.

The comments are correct in that both P&H and Lima both bolted into the 300 ton class and American went to 350 and 450 tons with the 1000 and 1100 series machines before Manitowoc went there.

Link Belt was really at the bottom of the pile for many years both in reputation and in size of machines built. They were usually contractor owned and the price leader. There was a breif effort to build four bigger crawlers in a 1000, 900, 800 and 700 series machines. I believe that the model numbered ended in 18. There was a 250 and a 300 in the series and I believe that the largest was a 500 ton.

It is also interesting that Grove tried to purchase P&H.
kerst
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 6:59:01 PM

DC Craneman wrote:

It is also interesting that Grove tried to purchase P&H.

I believe Grove purchased Lima in the end.

Kerst

http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1096251
DC Craneman
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 7:47:19 PM

Clark Equipment purchased Lima, but Grove did then purchase the Clark engineering for their crane line. The Grove HL design shows similarities to that later Clark Lima engineering. I actually knew one of the Grove folks that had come from Clark and Lima.