DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Hitachi UA-03 Submersible Excavator custom - Real machine photo request! Options · View
caucasianaasian
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:51:31 PM

Groups: Member

Hey Lads,

I am currently working on a custom Hitachi UA-03 underwater excavator and need some pics of the real machine to work on the finer details. Would anyone have any pics of this machine that they are willing to share? I have included a few pics of my custom to date in order to give you some idea of what it looks like.

Any pics you are able to share are much appreciated!

Cheers,
Craig

The Caucasianaasian

Cat345bl
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:08:30 PM

Very interesting excavator Craig, and awesome custom. I never heard of the UA-03, so I can't help you out with pics. I only thought Komatsu made underwater equipment.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:32:21 PM

caucasianaasian wrote:
Hey Lads,

I am currently working on a custom Hitachi UA-03 underwater excavator and need some pics of the real machine to work on the finer details. Would anyone have any pics of this machine that they are willing to share? I have included a few pics of my custom to date in order to give you some idea of what it looks like.

Any pics you are able to share are much appreciated!

Cheers,
Craig

Craig,

Here's the photos I have ,but they are not mine and all rights go to the photographer . Although this machine isn't Hitachi ,still better than nothing. The small barge for the power unit is really cool.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

QuAD
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:49:54 PM

This are the only pic's I ever saw of it but its the Hitachi UA04.
They are in a 1975 brochure.

caucasianaasian
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:47:41 AM

Hey guys,

Michael, thanks for the kind words mate. Yeah, I didn't know that Hitachi made underwater equipment either. I have seen the Komatsu stuff, but the first time I saw this one was when a friend requested a custom of it.

FiatAllisHD41, thanks for those pics. The underwater stuff is pretty amazing especially considering that I don't see that they have any imaging equipment.

QuAD, those are the pics I have in a poor quality photocopy of a Japanese brochure. Thanks for posting higher quality ones, they'll really be helpful. Over here it was designated a UA-03, but I guess Japan and the rest of the world have been doing that for a while now. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Craig

The Caucasianaasian

a Cutter
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 10:31:25 PM

Super looking endeavor you got going there Craig!

Applause

Chris
RowanH
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:10:00 AM

Looks like a heap of hours have gone into that one Craig! Excellent work! What medium did you work with? Styrene, brass or something else? I'm also curious, what are you doing to that PC1100 and front shovel in the backgrounds of the first few pictures?

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 9:26:03 PM

That is really nice craziest damn thing I ever saw !

ChetTeeth

I live in my own little world it's ok they know me here
RowanH
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:53:09 PM

Maybe next you could work on a Komatsu D-155W to join it?

Rowan.

Excavator Guy
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:15:55 PM

Wow, ive never heard or seen of these before. They are wild lookin. Why do they have such long masts on them? is that the limit of how deep they can work?

noraztrans
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 5:56:35 PM

That is really cool!!! never seen one before and you did a great job on it!!!Silly question though, why do they paint the underwater stuff that green color?

HAMMER TO FIT...PAINT TO MATCH!

The ironic use of IT IV emissions technology on forestry equipment…. “Burning the woods down while trying to save the ozone”
caucasianaasian
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 2:07:05 AM

Thanks heaps for the kind words guys. Sorry for the late reply, I have been packing up all my stuff in Japan ready for the move home to Australia. I plan on getting my tickets for excavator, loader and haul truck, then settling in for the long road to getting a foot into the coal mines.

Rowan, mate it has taken a while for sure. I have used a combination of styrene and brass, along with the stick from a second excavator model. The base was a NZG Komatsu PC200. It has come out ok, but as always I am looking at ways I can do it better next time. This is a little project for a friend, so I will probably make one for myself when I get back to Australia.

I have a total of 4 PC1100s on the work bench at the moment. They will turn into two PC1000SE-2s in backhoe and shovel format, and two PC1000LC-5s backhoe and shovel. Next, when I can get the PC1100 base models, will be a PC1250LC-8 backhoe and shovel. I also have three PC1100 material handlers from ages ago that I am using to make two regular demolition boom PC1250s, and a third with a telescopic demolition boom. As soon as I get some cash, I will be buying a few of Eric's shears if he still has some in stock, and doing some PC1250s, one with Testa decals and the others as standard.

I was thinking about the D155W as well, due mainly to the fact I really don't like the Yonezawa version. Having said that, the Yonezawa version might be a good starting point. I was also thinking of giving the Simit underwater excavator that FiatAllisHD41 posted a go. This is all time and money permitting.... Smile

Noraztrans, not sure about the green paintjob, but Japan is well known for interesting colors on their machines. I can only assume that they wanted them to blend into the water, but that would be a totally illogical thing to do as you wouldn't want to lose your machine. Wink

Excavator guy, I really don't know too much about them, but like you, I assume that that is their operating depth. I will ask Mr. Tsuchida from the modeling museum about this, as this is who the model is going to. I currently have about 8 of my models in this museum, soon to be 12 or so.

The Caucasianaasian

RowanH
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 7:31:55 AM

Best of luck with the move home mate! I assume your moving back over west? Sounds like your very busy at the moment but if you get a chance, I'd love to see some more pics of your PC1000SE conversions Smile If they are anything like your previous ones, they going to be amazing. I was looking over some old pictures before and reduced the track width with a bit of photoshop. Would be a a time consuming process but what do you think?

Rowan.

caucasianaasian
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 4:24:06 PM

Thanks Rowan. Mate I have considered narrowing the tracks, but that would be something that would have to wait until I get back to Australia and a decent workshop. Sitting in my little apartment in Japan makes it a bit difficult. But it does look great, the photoshopping looks spot on!!

Cheers,
Craig

The Caucasianaasian

Diecastmania
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:55:27 PM

Very interesting custom! Does anyone have any more info on this piece of equipment?

- Joe