Gd10r
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 8:55:51 PM

Groups: Member

Like it a lot, can see some custom possiblities there for sure. Thanks

Still Plays with Toys
RowanH
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:06:26 AM

What a monster, wonder what the capacity was rated at? It appears that it has duel tires on the rear tractor axle. Interesting that it didn't use the same large tire that was used on the 666.

EDIT: Just read on the CCM website that it was a 100t capacity.

http://ccmodels.com/upcoming-660.html

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

Steven Brown
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 12:16:13 PM

I would have skipped this discussion had it not been for another one that pointed me to it. I wish we would all use more descriptive topic titles so that we have a better idea of what it's about.
Crazy797
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 1:20:50 PM

Do the new tittle suites you more, Steven ???

Pat
ECOTITAN
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 7:21:11 PM

The new PH660 Coal Hauler is real nice and one I hope everyone takes a liking to. The vintage Athey wagon being built is right around 1966 with the strait hitch. Later versions (PH660B) utilized a curved gooseneck design. Still more diecast Cat model releases to follow during the next few months. Hold on tight because you will NOT be let down!

ecotitan
a Cutter
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 7:38:35 PM

I love it but will likely pass on it as now it seems that CCM is ramping up the CAT stuff......it's going to kill me (financially).
While I had determined all along to own every one of the CCM 1/48 issues, if not two or more, I now feel I'm going to have to pick and choose from the ones I'll want the most.
That's then going to take waiting till the news comes forth and then pulling the trigger before any chance of immediate sell-out occurs.

Chris
Gd10r
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 9:47:01 PM

I love it, how about a dirt hauler version? Graham

Still Plays with Toys
Gavin84w
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 4:24:24 AM

a Cutter wrote:
I love it but will likely pass on it as now it seems that CCM is ramping up the CAT stuff......it's going to kill me (financially).
While I had determined all along to own every one of the CCM 1/48 issues, if not two or more, I now feel I'm going to have to pick and choose from the ones I'll want the most.
That's then going to take waiting till the news comes forth and then pulling the trigger before any chance of immediate sell-out occurs.

Chris

You snooze, you loose! but you have to make that choice sometimes.
Gavin84w
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 9:49:54 AM

ECOTITAN wrote:
Still more diecast Cat model releases to follow during the next few months. Hold on tight because you will NOT be let down! ecotitan

There you go folks, you have heard it from the.... well Eric,s mouth and that is good enough for me. This series is just on the rise all the time
a Cutter
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 3:33:03 PM

Gavin84w wrote:
a Cutter wrote:

Chris

You snooze, you loose! but you have to make that choice sometimes.

LOL the only 'snoozing' on getting all of these CCM 1/48 CAT series models takes place in the income dept.
Like I said; sounds like they are going to have quite the offering in the upcoming future and I feel certain that I won't be able to get all of the releases.
I will have to be savvy at saving up and focusing on the ones I'll really want.
This 660 hauler is excellent but I know I want to stay fresh for the 992 and anything that might come along to partner up with it.
It also makes me think that (model wise) if the 660 hauler was born from the 666, perhaps a 992 wheel dozer (Tiger?) would be likely.

I am really hoping for a 773 early or first series truck and would love to see the 779.
A 783 (1965) 'side dump' would be welcome too but the 779 would be great. I'm not sure if these trucks did so well and it seems that maybe not, but it was the first real entry in the large truck sector for CAT. And the stylings of the 779 are really classy (I think).
I feel certain that it'd be a great model and would sell well given it's uniqueness.
C'mon CCM & CAT really think on this and then just do it!

Chris
Gavin84w
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 10:51:00 AM

The 779 would fit the mould of the series very well, unfortunately i would think it,s lack of success may be it,s downfall from it ever getting a leg up into the model world via CCM.

A matched set having the 779 & 795F in 1/48 would be a winner i reckon, oh well we can all dream.
a Cutter
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 11:52:38 PM

Yep dreaming is likely all to be done on the subject.

I wonder just how many have seen the 779 at all.
I didn't until fairly recently (year or two ago) in one of Orlemann's book.
I wish I could post his pic of the 779 here on the forums to see what if any response it would get.
I think it could get good reviews............oh well.......better get to bed early and dream away.

Chris
RMS Models
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 11:54:38 AM

a Cutter,

Found this photograph of the Caterpillar 779:

"Link will not work"

Randy M. Smolenack
RMSmodels@aol.com
randy.m.smolenack@us.army.mil
CarlBrutanananadilewski
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 3:28:24 PM

ECOTITAN
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 4:58:01 PM

Concerning the 779, I hear ya. I have tried several times to launch model programs on the early electric-drive Cat haulers (both diecast and brass) with no success. Cat Corp. simply has no interest in the 779, 783, and 786. The other problem is the 779 is a one-off model program. It's parts cannot be used for anything else (such as a coal hauler, etc.) except for some odds and ends on the 783. All I can say is if you would like any of these electric-drive trucks built, let CCM know it.

On another note, would anyone be interested in a Cat 660/PR660 Athey Rear-Dump Rocker? Let's hear it if you do!

ecotitan
Gavin84w
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 8:14:59 PM

ECOTITAN wrote:
All I can say is if you would like any of these electric-drive trucks built, let CCM know it.

On another note, would anyone be interested in a Cat 660/PR660 Athey Rear-Dump Rocker? Let's hear it if you do!

ecotitan

Like you say Eric, not a lot of interest from Cat corp but if a groundswell of support was forthcoming for a 779 it could be enough for CCM to go to it with Cat also and see if they could turn on a lightbulb in some ones head. At the end of the day the 1/48 series is revolving around classic machines from a bygone era and i don,t think the collector of 2011 is to concerned about the performance of the machine in the 60,s but a 779 sure fits the bill as collectible and would be a welcome addition to the series.

So, in a round about way that would be a yes from me if you can call this an unofficial pole that we just started!!

Almost forgot, i like the idea of that rocker and a belly dump earthfill trailer would be neat too.
kwabbus
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 8:35:02 PM

Gavin84w wrote:

...but a 779 sure fits the bill as collectible and would be a welcome addition to the series.

So, in a round about way that would be a yes from me if you can call this an unofficial pole that we just started!!

YES!

I also will give me vote for this model. And because I'm from the Netherlands it will count for two Drool

Wouter
a Cutter
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 11:57:43 PM

Moved my Caterpillar 779 further discussion to HERE
Smile
kwabbus
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:12:02 AM

HELP! CATERPILLAR ATHEY 660 Coal Hauler Pictures and brochures WANTED!

Who can help me with more background information original [or a copy/ PDF] sales brochures and 1:1 pictures from the CATERPILLAR ATHEY 660 Coal Hauler ?

Please send me an PM!

Thanks Wouter