DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Caterpillar 779 truck Petition Options · View
a Cutter
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 12:38:43 AM

Groups: Member

Okay so as not to take away further from the other thread I've started this one.

So I found another picture and since I couldn't read the text, I can't give any credit.

"/>
This was found in a search on Google but upon opening it up I learned that this was posted on HEF by a guy named skinnycat............so props to him.

"/>

Here's a great LINK

Now this thread can also be used to hopefully drum up some decent support for getting a model of this truck made by CCM.

Go CAT 779!

My vote #1Wink

Chris

Redjack Ryan
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 1:41:31 AM

Thanks for posting this. I think I remember seeing it in one of my Caterpillar books. This was an electric drive, side-dump truck, right?

Alex
a Cutter
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 2:48:19 AM

Redjack Ryan wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I think I remember seeing it in one of my Caterpillar books. This was an electric drive, side-dump truck, right?

Alex

(edit)
I think the original or first introduction (1965 prototype) had both a rear and side variant.
The prototype side dump is the one (after looking back into Eric's book 'Caterpillar') that I'd love to see the most. The body styling is a little different than the ones pictured above....but in all, I'd take either version....prototype or production.

Chris
QuAD
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 1:29:53 PM

Here some pic's from the Cat 779.

a Cutter
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 1:34:53 PM

Thanks a million Ad!

Do you have any interest to see this made as a model in the 1/48 series by CCM?

(edit)
Here this is in response to a PM sent to me from a friend of mine, who was kind in trying get it across to me that the 779 would likely never be a reality do to it's less than successful results.

......Just to show where I'm coming from on this......

Oh I figured that to be the case with CAT as no one really likes to promote failures, but I hope maybe they could see it a little differently in this stage of things.

It is their introduction into the large truck sector success or failure.
The fact that is was failure certainly should have had a lot to do with the great success that came further down the road for Cat and their haul truck division....so maybe a nod towards their shaky start would be in order.

Besides what were the other factors in place at that time, to lend to failure of this truck line......economy......other truck manufacturers with a 'leg up' already?

As a collector I look at the design of the truck from the outward appearance and see something that looks really unique both in the 60s and today.
Considering that I wouldn't be putting any 1/48 trucks to actual work to find that it's a horrible performer, I could always look at the truck on the shelf and think wow what a neat looking truck......Lol...but seriously....I'm not kidding.

If anything topic will show off a machine to a host of folks who likely haven't seen it before now in spite of whether it was a success or not........an educational thread so to speak.

Chris
kwabbus
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 5:04:37 PM

My vote #2 Teeth
peoria
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 12:26:06 AM

count me in,i`d love to have one on the shelf.i`d like to see them do the three axle 783 even more,but with only one prototype ever being built,i realize the chances are less than somewhat.
CarlBrutanananadilewski
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 9:33:00 AM

If CCM was to produce any of the prototype of one off production pieces I would rather see the prototype 789. Check out Ad's post to see what I'm talking about. I had completely forgotten about it until he put those pictures up.

-Josh
a Cutter
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:59:45 AM

CarlBrutanananadilewski wrote:
If CCM was to produce any of the prototype of one off production pieces I would rather see the prototype 789. Check out Ad's post to see what I'm talking about. I had completely forgotten about it until he put those pictures up. -Josh

I hear ya, but man I'm sorry to say that I think that thing (awesome as it might be in it's size) is one ugly, lummox looker of a machine/truck.

The 779 and 783 have a classy look about them (to me) even if they were lemons.
Angel

RowanH
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 5:44:00 AM

If CCM was to produce any of the prototype of one off production pieces I would rather see the prototype 789.

Or the 591 pipelayer!

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

CarlBrutanananadilewski
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 9:21:13 AM

a Cutter wrote:
If CCM was to produce any of the prototype of one off production pieces I would rather see the prototype 789. Check out Ad's post to see what I'm talking about. I had completely forgotten about it until he put those pictures up. -Josh

I hear ya, but man I'm sorry to say that I think that thing (awesome as it might be in it's size) is one ugly, lummox looker of a machine/truck.

The 779 and 783 have a classy look about them (to me) even if they were lemons.
Angel

Haha alright, I'll agree with you there. I kinda see it now, you got my vote.
Gavin84w
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 9:59:48 PM

Lets keep this one going, i think some clever cross marketing from some of the masters at Cat could see the promotion of the modern truck (795F-AC) piggy back off former developments from many years earlier and a scale model of the former truck would generate interest for a scale model of the 795.

For example if a 779 was built and a 795F-AC announced who would not want to have both?

The fact is a 779 would be one highly collectable model and that should be the major consideration if a decision was to be made on it being done.
a Cutter
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 5:59:48 AM

Gavin84w wrote:

The fact is a 779 would be one highly collectable model and that should be the major consideration if a decision was to be made on it being done.

Much Agreed!
footloose52
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:35:15 AM

I like the idea of any of these old trucks in DIECAST, whichever one that might come out as a model, I think they will sell
like hot cakes, but to pick a preference, 779 wins

Regards from down under

Peter
ConstructionSite
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:25:44 AM

I'll put in a vote for the 779! Although I would absolutely enjoy having a 786 in my collection! But I have to say (when it comes to diecast), I would prefer that Classic Construction Models continue to produce the classic replicas with Norscot producing the products from the current line.

For those reading this that are also interested in having a classic hauler in the collection and that are attending Conexpo next week, be sure to stop by and say hello to CCM. Maybe a friendly chat about this idea wouldn't be a bad idea?

And of course stop to see DHS in the Main Hall! Only 7 days left until the show opens!

- Chris Applause
a Cutter
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:25:43 PM

Big thanks Chris for the addition!

Like I've been saying....successful trucks or not the two smaller trucks the 779 and 783 have a very classy look to them that any real CAT collector would enjoy.WinkAni

(edit)

Here's the LINK to Ad's thread on these trucks....just to add some more source material.

Chris
kwabbus
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 10:50:14 AM

Bumper!Teeth