DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Astec Industries at ConExpo. (scale model) Options · View
plumber
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:46:55 AM

Groups: Member

Astec was one of the biggest names at the show. They had a huge part of one of the halls. I am not an expert when it comes to aggregate processing, but this model caught my eye. It was by far the most impressive thing at the show in my opinion. I will tell a little about the model. These pictures are of several versions of Aggregate processing in one form or another.( I am sure there are a few experts out there who could explain it more) They are each perfect 1/8 scale models. Down to every nut and bolt, hose, pump, pully, roller, belt and every other part. Talking to one of the reps, he told me that in order to travel worldwide and display even part of this in full scale was just too costly. A full setup would be impossible. Astec had a team of five engineers build all of this. 18 months and over $550,000.00 later, this is what you have. The team travels with the models worldwide. And as technology changes, so do the models, with pump upgrades, new mechanical changes, etc. It was AMAZING. I know we get tired of hearing "Pictures cant do justice"...but they really cant in this case.

Like I said, I couldn't tell you what each part represents, but the detail was amazing. One of the younger sales reps said the model gets more attention than the real equipment in most cases. And he said it certainly gets more attention than they do. I can see why.
RowanH
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:30:07 AM

Wow, you weren't wrong when you said amazing! Is this representative of an actual plant or does it demonstrate all of the pieces they offer? Surprised to see so many truck trailer mounted parts! That sure would be a pretty neat job building all of those parts!

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

JTL
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:33:53 AM

Very cool asphalt plant! Looks like all you would need is a small loader to feed it with, and you could pave your driveway.
When I was there in 05, Pioneer had a complete rock crushing plant in 1/64 scale. It wasn't as detailed, but pretty cool as well.

Are you an enviromentist, or do you work for a living?
hulan
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:31:01 PM

Nice!! I would love to see the 1/8 scale trucks that hauls this stuff, and the 1/8 scale loader that feeds it Teeth Teeth

HunterH
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:07:44 PM

Plumber I would have to agree with you there it was one of the nicest things among the show. It caught me off gaurd a little bit but the detail was amazing!
Cat345bl
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:23:44 PM

Those engineers did amazing job on the plant model. I noticed in the 3rd pic they have a smaller plant model, looks like it's in 1/64 scale because I see 3 first gear 1/64 Mack granite dump trucks in that dio. I have a feeling our host might have it an auction one year.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

DEEREMAN14
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:30:39 PM

I want that haha if i only had 3 grand or more! probly 6 7 grand!?

Nothing Runs Like A Deere
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:30:55 PM

DEEREMAN14 wrote:

$550,000. You're the guy who buys Playboys for the pictorials, not the articles Shame on you

Nice pics plumber, thanks for sharing.
DEEREMAN14
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:00:54 AM

kokosing Const Co wrote:
DEEREMAN14 wrote:

$550,000. You're the guy who buys Playboys for the pictorials, not the articles Shame on you

Whats your problem!?? and you dont know that he said 18 months and $550,000.00 later as in real life thats what it took and how much it was to build so why be pissy with me i dont know! please read and think over that sentense

quote: 18 months and over $550,000.00 later, this is what you have

DEEREMAN14
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:02:10 AM

kokosing Const Co wrote:
[quote=DEEREMAN14]I want that haha if i only had 3 grand or more! probly 6 7 grand!?

Nice pics plumber, thanks for sharing.[/quo
and what i was saying is i would love to have a set up like that the mobile trailers look sweet! but i dont have 3-7 grand only point i was making so again i dont know why you gotta be pissy with me when it was a laughing kinda thing

plumber
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:09:41 AM

kokosing Const Co wrote:
DEEREMAN14 wrote:

No problem. .........You guys make me laughWink
Greasemonkey
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 11:32:23 AM

It would be kind of neat if some of those could make an appearance at the open house for the folks who couldn't make it to ConExpo to enjoy.

Brian
Ajax Man
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 12:20:04 PM

I was totally impressed with Astec's booth and the scale model asphalt & concrete plants (both stationary & portable) and also the gravel pit diorama and scenerio's that they had put together. I was talking to the Representative's form Astec/Dillman and they told me that at there main production facility and office they have a shack or cabin as they called it, a small team actually puts these together and custom fabricates these scale models themselves. I was impressed with the fact that they actually do this themselves at their own production facilities, I thought that they contracted with one of the actual scale model companies like Conrad, NZG, CCM or TWH to produce something like this. I was amazed at how detailed everything was, right down to the screen decks and the actual screen sizes on them.....AWESOME!!!! Unfortunately, they are not for sale nor are able to purchase them, becuase these travel with the booth for different shows and expositions...

"THE KILPATRICK ENTERPRISE IS GOING TO JAIL, MIKE DUGGAN IS MAYOR, SYNDER IS GOVERNOR AND IS FIXING MICHIGAN"

AJAX MATERIALS CORPORATION...AJAX PAVING INDUSTRIES....BLACK OR WHITE, WE PAVE MICHIGAN