DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Link-belt TG2300B tower crane Options · View
Cat 966f
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:40:52 PM

Groups: Member

Does anyone know the capacity of these tower cranes? I am reading 230tons but it seems a bit much

-Vinny

http://www.heavytruckphotos.com/
laurent o.e.987
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:54:21 PM

not too familiar with tower cranes or (whirly birds) vin, but that is a big crane ... 230t sounds reasonable ...

larryCool
Tiny
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:48:14 PM

Have seen them in Kansas City , kinda rare for us. the counterweights hanging under the house travel . Cable setup , when boomed tight the weights are close to center . Boomed down the weights travel to the back of the machine

laurent o.e.987
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:58:04 PM

Tiny wrote:
Have seen them in Kansas City , kinda rare for us. the counterweights hanging under the house travel . Cable setup , when boomed tight the weights are close to center . Boomed down the weights travel to the back of the machine

i was wondering about how that counterweight set-up worked tiny ... very interesting stuff ...

larryCool
DC Craneman
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:02:02 PM

These were based on a Favell Favco design I believe. This particular crane if a TG2300 was the largest of a three crane lineup built by initially Link Belt. The designs were later sold to Cornell. The next smaller machine was a TG1900, a favorite among the New York steel erectors, and the smallest was the TG1700. They are stout compared to the products of Liebherr and Potain. Yes the 2300 is a 230 ton machine in its nominal form while the 1900 is a 115 ton machine.

Favco after many changes of ownership builds some stubstantial similar machines. One of the Loma companies is the US or northeast US distributor. They have several of the second largest machines of this type at Ground Zero. These may be in the background of this photo. Wolf also builds a substantial luffing tower crane.

Some of these large ratings are close to the tower, but are stil impressive compared to normal tower cranes with loads in the 17 ton to 3 ton range based upon where you are on the jib.

You may wish to check the web sites of both Cornell and Jakes Crane & Rigging regarding these.
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:28:22 PM

Do they jack them into place, much like a regular tower crane ? I've seen tower cranes go up. Are these the same way ?

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

john suckoe
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:49:23 AM

Check out The Davis Group ** Erectors web site and see a jump of the basket climber that they have the patents . Also check out the sliding crane on tower 1 and soon to be tower 4 all retrofitted TG-1900 . Fererated Crane a Harris Company and Feterated Equipment a Davis group company have retrofitted TG-1900 with new drawworks ,cabs and tier 4 Cat power . They have done work for Cornell, Cranes Inc , Falcon Steel and others. Canron built the first basket climbers but the new ones are muck better. John
Cat345bl
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 10:55:38 PM

Nice pics Vinny, they are real common around here in Philadelphia, Cornell seems to be the most popular contractor here when it comes to steel erecting. Samuel Grossi and sons also has a linkbelt gantry crane, (I think it is a Link Belt TG-1900).

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

JHart
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 4:32:23 PM

I believe that the initial US use of the Favco's was on the original World Trade Center, with 8 STD2700's (4 per tower).
LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 9:28:37 PM

Nice pics think they call them Kangaroo cranes !

Chet

I live in my own little world it's ok they know me here