DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

The CAT 25M Options · View
RowanH
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 4:00:52 AM

Groups: Member

I just saw these videos posted by SoCalEarthMovers on YouTube. I'm guessing from the tags associated with the video that this was another custom build, like the S18G and D57T done by Brent Engineering & Prairie Roadbuilders. Very impressive!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7GZgH3Oiw4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjGIzuKJQMg

Lots of great images on his website too - > http://www.socalearthmovers.com/gallery257.html

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

Robert Heuston
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 4:39:42 AM

So I'm geussing this is a one off custom machine?
RowanH
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 5:50:54 AM

Robert Heuston wrote:
So I'm geussing this is a one off custom machine?

Correct. I hope they continue with more scraper / grader custom builds, they are excellent! So what machines do we believe went into this build? I see most of a 988F in the rear of the machine. I'm also curious to see what sort of control setup it uses.

Another interesting thing to note is that it appears the blade can track left and right...

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

WCollins
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 6:01:04 AM

Boy that is something, I like how the blade track left to right on dozer idlers and rails.

-William
Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Miniature Construction Models
footloose52
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 6:07:09 AM

Great find Rowan, I would love to see a comparison Specification Sheet with a 24M, particularly its gross weight, Length, Blade width etc etc etc

Regards from the west
Peter
Greasemonkey
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 6:47:47 AM

RowanH wrote:
So what machines do we believe went into this build? I see most of a 988F in the rear of the machine. I'm also curious to see what sort of control setup it uses.

Rowan, a quote from Ken's site says: "It is built from a CAT 988B, 834B, 836B, 235C,D10N, and 657B parts."

As for controls, it is run by two joysticks, like an M series grader is.

Just a side note of no real importance, the machines are all built by Brent Engineering, and not by Prairie Roadbuilders. Prairie is one of the other companies owned by the same man who owns Brent Engineering, and are simply an end user of the machines he creates elsewhere. I actually used to work for this gentleman, he has some pretty neat ideas.

I have to say, it's a pretty cool concept from what I have seen so far. Now, if we can only convince Ron that he needs to build one of these based on a 992C platform........

Brian
Remko
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 9:51:10 AM

Best. Looking. Cat grader. EVER!!Cool Cool

Love the long body, big wheelbase of the tandem axle, and of course the 988B Cab!!

It's like the 50's & 60's all over again, with the contractors building their own machines to suit their needs.

Well, let me be the first one to say this. Please make a 1:50th model out of this!!Teeth

Remko

Ocean Traders Scale Models Facebook Group
dain555
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 12:02:40 PM

I would also say from the looks of the blade about 2-3 D4 dozer blades were used too!!

Awesome looking machine!!

I'm with you Remko, it is the best looking Cat grader I've ever seen!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
noraztrans
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 12:31:22 PM

That is really neat!!! I enjoy seeing those frankenstien machines, ironicaly it could probibly run laps around the 24m wich was crafted by multi million dollar engineers. i really like the dozer parts to make the side shift on the blade.. Super cool find, Chris

HAMMER TO FIT...PAINT TO MATCH!

The ironic use of IT IV emissions technology on forestry equipment…. “Burning the woods down while trying to save the ozone”
Fritz W.
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 12:58:24 PM

The custom work is very cool, just wonder what the design idea is behind a dozer blade on a grader is. I know necessity is the mother of all inventions though, so there had to be a reason behind all of this.
Thanks.
Fritz
craneman
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 4:39:30 PM

noraztrans wrote:
That is really neat!!! I enjoy seeing those frankenstien machines, ironicaly it could probibly run laps around the 24m wich was crafted by multi million dollar engineers. i really like the dozer parts to make the side shift on the blade.. Super cool find, Chris

My take on it is the contractor is only looking for a machine (perhaps a one off) that they know will stand up to the abuse they put the machines through (productivity & reliability). The multi million dollar engineers have to put up with people like marketing, manufacturing cost efficiencies, mass manufacturing capability (cookie cutter machines) and brand image etc.

The fact that they are using a Cat Numerical system and CAT all over it, one would have to wonder if they have a hand in it?Think

Otherwise, wouldnt that infiringe on the CAT licensing for brand identity etc?