DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

1/50TH SCHNABEL CCRX 40010 RAIL CAR photo heavy UPDATE 6-19-2012 Options · View
Fritz W.
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:42:17 PM
Groups: Member

I have enough information to start sharing my current project that I have been commissioned to built.The Schnabel CCRX 40010 transformer transporter in 1/50th scale. This is a 95% scratch-built via cnc milling in plastic. I will use what items from "O" scale model railroading that I can, such as wheels and detail parts. I will do my best to update my build regularly. All PHOTOS belong to me and are not to spread all over the internet with out asking first. This mainly pertains to the photos I was allowed to take of the at actual rail car.
A note about documentation. I got a $170 digital camera with 8 Gb card that will hold almost 1600 photos and take 8 min videos a piece. In two trips to the rail car I took well over 350 photos and 26 little mini videos on site. Videoing your trip will save you major heart ache of that one detail missed after you get home. You can take snap shots from the video create a photo get that view or detail you kinda missed. Been there and done that in the passed. Latter on you will see photos that all I am doing is shooting with a tape measure in it. It is a whole lot easier to have the measurement recorded in photo to refer back to latter on than trying to have scribbles all over paper and then trying to remember what you were measuring.
About my methods. I truly respect all those builders out there that build in there lap so to speak. I have some good military modelers that can do that. I'm not one of them. I'm a homeshop machinist that works in sheet styrene.I have considerable investment into my cnc table top set up over the years. It hasn't come cheap by any means but now I'm reaping the rewards so to speak. I have finally gotten to the point I can create a flat part and go out to the mill and cut it out and go back assemble it to the model. This has come with much trial and error over time and a lot of just last 6 months. With scratch-building you just have to pick your self up again when it all goes to crap on parts that don't work or you missed something and have to start over. I am more than willing to answer any question to the best of my ability and share any knowledge about my methods.

Now onto the build.

This is the rail car with a transformer that is being unloaded with hydraulic gantries. The transformer is pinned between the two halves of the rail car with the load becoming part of the rail car so to speak.

One half of the rail car with the adapter shown that was built allow a transformer to be coupled. The rail car was originally built in the early 70's for GE.

The rail car is coupled together when not transporting a load.

The each halve has a total of 10 axles

I started out with the adapter assembly for a starting point.

cutting out flat plates that will make up the adapter sides

cutting complete

what is left after that sheet is lifted off.

last one of milling

The red strips are my jigs to keep everything in alignment

adding face plates

a few details left to add latter on

building the sides of the carrier frame. This item is very complex in it has many angles and offsets that have made it very challenging to get it correct.

adding the strip inside the holes

plug to form the strip to correct shape strip in middle of plug is to keep plug at correct height when flipped over to gauge round strip in right spot

check plates cut out

installed

mounting eyes ready to glue up

these have a 4 degree offset in towards the center of the car.

jig for filing and the black part lets me know when I have file enough away

filed

glued up

mock up

More to follow as the build progresses
Fritz

8-10 SEE BELOW FOR A FEW NEW PHOTOS

CarlBrutanananadilewski
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:47:46 PM

Very, very cool! Thanks for sharing Applause Applause Applause

-Josh
cranedude07
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:49:44 PM

That will be awesome when finished! Great custom! Dewoc might want one as he's falling for trains nowWinkAni , looks good

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
Colin
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:53:03 PM

Your model looks like it's off to a great start, and I am looking forward to seeing more.

Regards, Colin
DeWoc19
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:58:06 PM

oh man this is so sick!!! Drool Applause Im starting to get an itch for Trains now just like Graham!! i want one of these things, there are not many GOOD O scale schnabel cars out there so i cant wait to see the finished product on this one!!! might be moving on from cranes and onto trains WinkAni
JoeE
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:28:25 PM

Very cool!
I collected every schnabel that was available in brass HO scale some years back.

Really cool cars to see in person.

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
VIPCranes
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:06:04 PM

that a project i wish i nad a machine like that

SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING.

http://s1185.photobucket.com/home/vipyfz2008/index

http://www.youtube.com/user/vipyfz?feature=mhee

luis.
Fritz W.
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:48:39 PM

VIP. What I am doing is not rocket science. I'm using a Sherline cnc mill up grade on a A2Z X-Y table.
SHERLINE MILL-LATHES

A2Z CNC UPGRADES

There is a whole hobby out the of homeshop machinists doing manual and cnc work. I'm not even in the high end league.

craftmenship museum

Jerry Kieffer's 1/8th tractor in metal

Now you see that I'm not even pushing the limits, I just enjoy making my own parts in plastic. Much cheaper than brass is all.
Take care,
Fritz
tomd
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:48:08 PM

Being a schnabel lover, this is just absolutely awesome!!

I have looked at photos of this car for years, but have never noticed some of the detail until the photos of your model!

Here is a video of it in 1992 when it was GEX 40010
VIPCranes
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:42:20 AM

anyways it looks like a great hobby for me those lathe mills cost alot of money.

great job man great.

SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING.

http://s1185.photobucket.com/home/vipyfz2008/index

http://www.youtube.com/user/vipyfz?feature=mhee

luis.
Fritz W.
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:24:45 AM

Well in away up front it does cost to get going but for the cost of a 31000, YCC crane or LG 1750 you can be on your way to getting set up. It is just a different type of hobby as compared to collecting die cast models. One doesn't need to start out big either or with a cnc set up. I started out manual then went to digital readout dials long before I went cnc.

1/15TH scale model done @'97 when I first got my manual mill and lathe

Take care,
Fritz
RowanH
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:53:10 AM

Mind boggling detail and thanks for taking the time to show us through your process. These are by far my favorite posts, the ones that take you for the ride through the build. I'm already highly anticipating the next update!

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

Jack.
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:46:57 AM

Now that is craftsmanship! Fantastic.

Heavy Cranes
Tarantula
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:55:35 AM

Awesome!

//Niklas Eriksson

GC1
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:11:15 AM

Very nice Fritz...I'm at the manual stage going to DRO....currently doing a steam engine which will be a nice load for my cranes down the track.
LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:00:59 PM

Nice workmanship, a Marklin Goliath crane would go great with that or Gustoff german Gun would be a nice project to build !

Chet

I live in my own little world it's ok they know me here
Fritz W.
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:17:21 AM

Funny you mention the German Gustav 80cm Gun, for I have had 1/48th scale plans for @ 18 years but have never go around to build it. Gave the plans to a friend who built in in 1/35th scale and won best in show with it. Now that my cnc skills are getting better and looking ahead to moving up to cnc router table in may allow me to larger single parts....Cool
Fritz
LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 10:03:36 PM

Would be an Awesome project or even Big Bertha possibilities are endless with your nice shop setup !

Any pics of Gustav from your friend ?

Chet

I live in my own little world it's ok they know me here
JSW57
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 10:27:22 PM

That is the making of yet another great looking model Fritz!! Look forward to the progress posts.

Jeff
Fritz W.
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:25:43 AM

Minor short break this week. Finishing up a anti tank gun for going to Eagle Quest in Dallas this coming week end put on by Squadron mail order. Rail car just didn't happen in time to be finished for the show. Going back on 6-10hr days does crimp model time. Will be back in for duration after next Sunday June 26th. I will look an see if I can find some 1/35 shots of Dora.
Take and happy collection guys
FritzWhatever