DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Northwest 100DH Options · View
RMS Models
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 11:03:36 AM

Groups: Member

I have asked Randy to post the following pictures of a model I have been working on for the last few years or so. It is one of the last “NEW” machines the Northwest Engineering Co. built, and I think there were only a half dozen built. It was the NW 100DH Hydraulic Excavator, featuring an 860 HP Detroit Diesel 16V92T engine, 8 ¼ heaped cubic yard bucket, and weighted in at 237,000 Lbs. After obtaining catalogs and spec. sheets from a good friend, I was able to draw up the 1/50th scale plans to build this model.

In the first picture, you can see the model can be completely stripped down for moving, and in this case, weighs in just over 51 US tons. It is shown on my 75 ton Talbert beam trailer, pulled by a DK64A Autocar tractor. The rest of the pictures show the model in various positions. The doors and hatch covers open to show off the complete interior, showing engine, pumps and piping. The tracks are movable, and the complete model was scratch built, except the ball bearing I used for the turntable. I build to 1/50th scale to go with all my other scratch and Diecast model collection. I hope you enjoyed seeing this model, as I always enjoying seeing everyone else’s.

Daniel D

Crazy797
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 12:40:13 PM

It looks beautiful, but pics are too small to see all the details !!!!! Nicely done ....
Gd10r
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 12:43:20 PM

Dan, looks great thanks there is a lot of nice work there. I just wish they were bigger. Graham

Still Plays with Toys
RMS Models
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 1:48:17 PM

Gentlemen,

I am new to Photobucket, used Village Photos in the past, can one of you explain how you make the photographs larger in Photobucket. I have tried the Edit feature and I can make them bigger, but they will not save to that larger size.

Randy M. Smolenack
RMSmodels@aol.com
randy.m.smolenack@us.army.mil
Cat 966f
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 3:12:41 PM

Here are the photos larger, when you are using photobucket, click on the photo and to the right of it (under the ad.) you will see "links" click on the IMG Code and just paste on here, photobucket automatically copies the link

-Vinny

http://www.heavytruckphotos.com/
DanielD
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 3:36:27 PM

Randy, thank you for posting this for me, and Vinny, thank you for re-posting the pictures in a larger scale. (and to all who offered). I do not get much on here, to "re-pay" all the others who do post, so I am very grateful for the help. Thanks Gram and to all for your comments. Dan (DanielD)
Crazy797
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 3:47:06 PM

Very nice model, do the same colors were those found on the real machine ???
kcmtoys
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 3:57:21 PM

Very impressive models Dan, thanks for posting.Applause Ken
DanielD
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 4:06:39 PM

Crazy797, Patrice, I do not have a colour/color chart for Northwest, but tried to match best I could from seeing real machines (back in the day) . It looks like the GOLD shows up a little light under the lights I was using to shoot these pictures. Dan
Ajax Man
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 4:12:59 PM

Dan,

Did anybody in Michigan own this actual machine? That is an awesome looking excavator....

"THE KILPATRICK ENTERPRISE IS GOING TO JAIL, MIKE DUGGAN IS MAYOR, SYNDER IS GOVERNOR AND IS FIXING MICHIGAN"

AJAX MATERIALS CORPORATION...AJAX PAVING INDUSTRIES....BLACK OR WHITE, WE PAVE MICHIGAN

DanielD
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 4:26:00 PM

Ajax Man, I have never seen one in person, only it's brother, the Northwest 1200C lift crane, and the pictures that John Suckoe posted a few years ago. I worked from the catalog and spec sheet I recieved a couple years ago from a good friend. One of my biggest collections is of Northwest machines, and after building the 1200C, it just seemed right to build one of the last machines NW produced. I believe there were only half a dozen 100DH's built, and that is mainly from looking at the differences of each one in pictures I have found. Thanks, Dan
mariot
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 4:30:04 PM

Daniel D,

What a beautiful model you have created!! As a Northwest fan, and given that the 100DH was a rare bird, seeing such a terrific model is a treat. Since you have done such a great job with this one, and since the house for the 100DH excavator is similar to the 190-DA Pullshovel, why not take a crack at that machine as well. It was the largest production cable hoe built (the LIMA 2400 12 yard cable hoe was a one-off machine). Here is a drawing of the 190-DA machine I have drawn.

With a modification to the house, add the drag and hoist drums, mast, boom, stick and bucket, you can create a 190-DA. Add a lattice boom, and you'd have a 1200-C crane!!
Crazy797
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 5:11:50 PM

Thank's Dan !!!!WinkAni

Pat
giomaffy
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 5:13:04 PM

Compliments, have made a very beautiful model!
You follow the suggestion of mariot!!!!

Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 5:16:42 PM

What model did you use to make that it looks awaome
Fireman
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 5:26:27 PM

Dan, Nice work. I love how it breaks down for transport. Love the Autocar too. Is it made out of metal like alot of you other creations?

Brad
DumpsterToy
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 6:27:51 PM

BEAUTIFUL MODEL. Love anythimg Northwest. Did a lot of grunt for a big sewer contractor when I was very young. Getting the blocking and planking for a move was some kind of job. We moved mostly 90D cable machines and removed nothing. My reward for the grunt work was to drive the flag truck. Those were the good old days.
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 6:29:37 PM

Great model. Where did you get the low-boy ?

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

627push/pull
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 6:32:37 PM

RMS, WOW! That is some skillful modelmaking right there!

Dump on the edges, the middle will take care of itself.
Never look down on ANYONE! Unless it is to lift them up.
brian falcone
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 7:04:18 PM

Wow. What a nice job !!! I love the old stuff. Was this model shown in toy trucker years ago? Beautiful job. Looks amazing. Thanks for sharing. Brian