DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

SFOBB How to: Running SAS Cable Options · View
CraneBrain
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:52:25 AM

Groups: Member

Well it seems like construction started decades ago, but things are starting to shape up. The last 4,000ton road deck section was placed in December. The tower went up and the walkways for Fluor to start the tedious task of running 137 bundles (Each bundle consists of 127 - 5mm wires) up and down a 450ft tall tower. At this point they have run approximately 24 bundles. The cable is starting to take shape!

When completed the cable will be 4,550 feet in length, Diameter of 31.2 inchs and weigh 10.5 million pounds (5,291 tons). This is the first time a system like this has been used to run a suspension cable, its designed much like a ski lift / chair lift.

This is strand #2 being run up the tower, It will sit on a bridal run down the tower, hit the road deck where it will wrap around the underside of the road decks, then back up and down the tower to its anchorage.

Picture of Anchorage - Photo - Caltrans.

Here's a simulation of how the cable is run..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKBSf2OoQEI

You can see the end of the 2nd strand attached to the "sled" Pictures are from the beginning of January.

Fluor is in full swing now, seem to be running 2-3 strands a day. Still a long way to go, after years of reports of the bridge not opening till late 2013, there are now reports it could open early (yeah, we'll see).. Anyways.. Enjoy...

JHart
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:08:29 AM

The contractor is American Bridge/Fluor.
bigdan45322
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:13:25 AM

Where is this looks cool.

Steel makes the world go round that is why I pride my self with the work I do. I am a proud steel mill worker.
Dan