DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Detachable Goose Neck Lowboys Options · View
DumpsterToy
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 11:25:59 AM
Groups: Member

Do not know how many of you know that some of the early detachable goose neck lowboy trailers were not operated by hydraulics? They were raised and lowered with a winch mounted on the tractor. I never saw a real one, but have a reprint of a Talbert sale pamplet from the 1950s showin such a beast. I have a 1/16 scale model of one. Will try to get some pics this weekend and post them. Maybe Kemtoys can shed some better light on these trailer.
glenhd
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 3:20:17 PM

Ok i'm all eyes waiting for your pics..

CLAP CLAP CLAP EM!!!!!!!!!!!

"TRIPLE NICKLE" BABY

A little something for a good friend......ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fonz518a
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 12:55:23 AM

I too am curious to see the pics
kcmtoys
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 2:59:51 AM

Austin Talbert came up with the removeable goose neck in 1938. Before that, you had to carry a couple of house jacks, and place them on each rear side of the deck. You put a little preasure on the jacks, and unbolt the trunion from the back of the trailer. Then you rolled the tires and rear frame back from the deck. Next step was to lower the deck with the jacks to the ground, load or unload the trailer, then reverse this operation. It took all day to move one machine! The first picture is of trailer#1 (Austin Carry All) which still has the old style removable rear end. The #1 trailer has been restored and is at the Talbert Factory. The next pictures are sales brochures of the later style cable neck trailer, one showing how to load a machine. Next is a a brochure of a Talbert Salesman sample and Smith Miller tractor (I would sure like to have one of these!) The last pictures are of my 1/64 trailer # 1 that was a company issue for one of their anniversaries. I am redoing the trailer and using a Peterbilt instead of the B-Mack for the winch tractor. DanielD scratch built this trailer in 1/50 scale, and I will try to post his pictures later. I have pulled two cable necks back in the day. Ken

a Cutter
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:35:36 AM

Thanks for the education fellas. Ken those brochures and little rigs are great, but I've got to know; is that load for real in 1/64 or has it been shopped in?

I really want to build one of these now.

Chris
kcmtoys
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 6:00:36 AM

Chris. That is a brass 1/64 scale Cat D8H. Ken
a Cutter
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:19:12 PM

kcmtoys wrote:

Drool DROOL.You know now that I think of it, I believe I've seen these. I would assume they are pricey right?

Lashlander
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:30:47 PM

Great info. I have never seen one of these trailers.
CarlBrutanananadilewski
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:31:12 PM

a Cutter wrote:
kcmtoys wrote:

Drool DROOL.You know now that I think of it, I believe I've seen these. I would assume they are pricey right?

I believe this is the same thing
kcmtoys
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 4:01:18 PM

CarlBrutanananadilewski wrote:
a Cutter wrote:
kcmtoys wrote:

I believe this is the same thing

Yes, That is the one. A brass train locomotive manufacturer made these, then got into legal problems with Cat. Only a few were ever released that I know of. Ken
DC Craneman
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 6:13:32 PM

The Talbert 'hydroneck" was introduced about 1974. Prior to that, their trailers used the design that Ken shows in his brochures. The uniqueness of the Talbert design was that it did not use a hydraulic jack against the ground. Rogers had an earlier design but their design pushed a pad against the ground to raise the trailer. Hence the terms ground bearing and non ground bearing came into use. I believe that these two companies were the first to introduce hydraulics to gooseneck design. Both companies were very innovated in the post WWII period and patent rights may have well driven Talbert to develope the non-ground bearing designs.

Hyster utilized a folding design in the 60's but it also utilized a winch to raise the gooseneck. The difference between the removable versus the folding design is the removable required that the gooseneck be pinned to the trailer prior to attaching it to the fifth wheel. The folding design locked the deck in the upright position after the fifth wheel was attached to the trailer. The Hyster line was acquired by today's Etnyre.

The real tractor pictured in the Talbert brochure appears to be a Hendrickson which together with the Mack B model ruled the Chicago area market which is where Talbert was founded. The original Talbert location was diagonally across 47th Street from Hendrickson in Lyons.

The tractor pictured, based upon a photo that I've seen on the internet, may be an early Brown and Lambrecht tractor. That company exists today as T. J. Lambrecht Construction, Inc. and still uses Talbert trailers. Since Hendrickson stopped producing trucks in 1981 and then sold the designs, Lambrecht switched to Kenworths in the 1980s and continues to use them and Peterbilts for their lowboy tractors. I make this identification based upon color scheme arrangement and lettering style and arrangement. Helders Motor Service of Chicago ran a substantial number of these cable style Talberts during the 1960s and 1970s.

Many of today's other trailer manufacturers did not come into existence until the late 1970s.

A design similar to the cable removables is still used by the west coast builders but there the eye or hook at the bottom of the gooseneck is not fixed. I believe that weight is a factor in these designs as used by Cozad, Murry and Rackley.

kcmtoys
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2012 1:14:43 AM

DC Craneman wrote:
The Talbert 'hydroneck" was introduced about 1974. Prior to that, their trailers used the design that Ken shows in his brochures. The uniqueness of the Talbert design was that it did not use a hydraulic jack against the ground. Rogers had an earlier design but their design pushed a pad against the ground to raise the trailer. Hence the terms ground bearing and non ground bearing came into use. I believe that these two companies were the first to introduce hydraulics to gooseneck design. Both companies were very innovated in the post WWII period and patent rights may have well driven Talbert to develope the non-ground bearing designs.

Hyster utilized a folding design in the 60's but it also utilized a winch to raise the gooseneck. The difference between the removable versus the folding design is the removable required that the gooseneck be pinned to the trailer prior to attaching it to the fifth wheel. The folding design locked the deck in the upright position after the fifth wheel was attached to the trailer. The Hyster line was acquired by today's Etnyre.

The real tractor pictured in the Talbert brochure appears to be a Hendrickson which together with the Mack B model ruled the Chicago area market which is where Talbert was founded. The original Talbert location was diagonally across 47th Street from Hendrickson in Lyons.

The tractor pictured, based upon a photo that I've seen on the internet, may be an early Brown and Lambrecht tractor. That company exists today as T. J. Lambrecht Construction, Inc. and still uses Talbert trailers. Since Hendrickson stopped producing trucks in 1981 and then sold the designs, Lambrecht switched to Kenworths in the 1980s and continues to use them and Peterbilts for their lowboy tractors. I make this identification based upon color scheme arrangement and lettering style and arrangement. Helders Motor Service of Chicago ran a substantial number of these cable style Talberts during the 1960s and 1970s.

Many of today's other trailer manufacturers did not come into existence until the late 1970s.

A design similar to the cable removables is still used by the west coast builders but there the eye or hook at the bottom of the gooseneck is not fixed. I believe that weight is a factor in these designs as used by Cozad, Murry and Rackley.

DC. I took a magnifying glass to the brochure, and you have good eye sight! It is Brown and Lambrecht. Up untill a few years ago, they still had a few cable necks left. White Brothers had a whole fleet of cable neck Talberts, a lot of them custom built for sprecial applications. Lenny Ryden (Norwood) had quite a few, along with Allens and Redtop. Wally, the local Talbert salesman, made a good living here.Whistle Ken
kcmtoys
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2012 1:27:07 AM

Here are a few pictures of DanielD's Talbert Trailer and B model Mack winch tractor. This is a later model as seen in the brocure. This would make a great salesman sample! Thanks Dan. Ken

a Cutter
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2012 4:55:50 AM

The /50 scale version is sharp......an official 'atta-boy' to the builder!Applause
Eric Pioszak
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:22:27 AM

DC Craneman wrote:

I was thinking the same thing when I saw this post, been around quite a few of them, what an back-asswards setup, given the availability of modern technology... weight may be a factor to some degree, but given the weight of loads they haul on this type of trailer on the left coast, I doubt it. a 460B with an extra 12,000# of guarding

Eric W. Pioszak, Operating Engineers Local 701, Portland, Oregon

METAL TRACKS AVAILABLE AGAIN!
Cab guards Available again!
Grapples Available again!
Industrialscalemodels[at symbol]Gmail.com
johndeere4020
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:28:56 PM

You can still buy mechanical detachs, we had an over the road truck deliver a 14h grader and he detached his mechanical almost as fast as I can my hydraulic one. It was pretty slick.
dirtripper
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2012 1:21:36 AM

Mashuda Corp had a few of those and still used them, Mountaintop probably scrapped them already! LOL
Claus
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2012 2:02:02 AM

DC Craneman wrote:

I grew up with my Dad owning/driving Hendricksons, dump semis. His were 1969s, later he went to R model Macks. Like you said Hendrickson was king in the Chicagoland area, they were built one at a time to your specs, not on an assembly line, or that is how I was always told. His being 69s they had the fibergalss flip hood (His were also Detroit powered) these in these photos have the older steel butterfly hoods but still look very much the same.

DanielD
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2012 3:51:59 PM

Thanks for starting this Dave, and thank you for all the info Ken and DC Craneman. Chris, thanks for comments about the 1/50th. I think it is always interesting to learn a little about how a design came into being. DanielD
kcmtoys
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012 2:54:22 PM

Claus wrote:
DC Craneman wrote:

I grew up with my Dad owning/driving Hendricksons, dump semis. His were 1969s, later he went to R model Macks. Like you said Hendrickson was king in the Chicagoland area, they were built one at a time to your specs, not on an assembly line, or that is how I was always told. His being 69s they had the fibergalss flip hood (His were also Detroit powered) these in these photos have the older steel butterfly hoods but still look very much the same.

Sure would be nice to find a Hendrickson like these in 1/50 scale!Think Ken