DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Anatomy of a 250 ton Steam Wrecker "photo heavy" Options · View
TimT
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:44:12 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

This is a 1949 Industrial Brownhoist Type Z, 250 ton steam wrecking crane or "The Big Hook" as they were known on all railroads in the USA. Here are some inside detail shots I took this week after work. The Wrecker was purchased by the late Edwin R Winter for his collection. It was one of several wreckers that were due for scrapping in Altoona PA and was one of the very last steam wreckers in the Conrail inventory.
The unit was moved in a train to Buffalo NY and then onto the Buffalo Southern Railroad which Ed was part owner. It was powered up with a steam generator for use a couple of times for "Steam Wrecker Days" and has since sat on a siding in Eden NY for many years.It has been donated to the WNY Railroad Historical Society and should be moved soon to the groups new museum grounds in Buffalo.

These are detail shots inside to show the workings of a true steam wrecker. I have many more so if anyone has a contact that enjoys this type of thing for modeling or info feel free to ask.

These things were rated to 250 ton max lift, but the true limits were only set by the operator...Power was unlimited. Nothing stopped them, it either moved, or broke or tipped the wrecker over.

They weighed 200 tons.

Pics

Wrecker and Idler car

This is why they weighed 200 tons....

This is the left center outrigger.... They could be extended or retracted by an air powered gear motor... massive outriggers on these..

This is the left side steam engine "Drive Rod Side" that drove the common drive shaft along with a twin on the right side of the machine... all three drums, Main Hoist, Aux Hoist and Boom Hoist operated off these two steam engines in tandem. Gearing was through air operated locking dogs or jaw clutches and air operated band brakes were used.. Gearing was very heavy and extensive. A third steam engine drove the slewing gears.

Operators station "cab".... Very crowded in these cranes.Operators mostly stood up running these.

Verical Boiler.... Fuel Oil fired, created the steam for main functions..

Main Steam line valve

Throttle Valve operated be a long shaft running from the cab to this valve...Controlled all power for the engines.

Main Drive system... Notice the rod connected to the bell crank at the rear, this drove the main shaft with its twin on the other side, and geared to the drums... the big gear on the right is the main hoist drum bull gear.

Gearing in the celler under the drums...Notice clutches and couplings, brakes etc...

Boom hoist drive worm gear housing.. this is the rear most drum..

View if from between boom heal pins looking back across the top of all three drums...

Boom hoist rear sheaves and rigging

Boom point sheaves and rigging with link bars to boom chords

Main Hoist "The Big Hook" itself.

All done.
linkbelt290rb
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:51:27 PM

Groups: Member

cool

Nothing runs like a deere with a cat on its back but the link belt ate both of them

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 10:19:40 PM

No one has an operating derrick that size in operation. Wouldn't it be great to get her operating again ? Great photos !

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

Gary
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 11:18:21 PM

FiatAllisHD41 wrote:

No one has an operating derrick that size in operation. Wouldn't it be great to get her operating again ? Great photos !

Yeah, there are a few still in operation. NS still uses them in coal country of West Virginia where roads don't go where the tracks are. Contractors can't access many of those places and derricks are still used there.

This from November of last year in Roanoke VA.

Here are THREE at work on a difficult recovery of a locomotive down an embankment.

HunterH
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 11:20:21 PM

very impressive! are those in the pictures steam too? or converted to diesel?
GC1
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 4:33:22 AM

Great pics Tim and well and truly appreciated here.

Now wouldn't it be fantastic if those dickheads who sprayed it with graffiti, actually repainted bit by bit(even with spray cans) how it should be and do something very useful.
DumpsterToy
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:09:04 AM

Tim T & Gary,
Thanks to both of you for sharing the excellent pics. Being an oldtimer, I can remember those old cranes. Watching them move those big old steam engines was a work of art. Thanks again to both of you.
TimT
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 12:46:27 PM

There are a few "Big Hooks" still in use...However none are steam powered outside of maybe..a showgrounds for a steam association or a railroad museum like Steamtown in Scranton PA, even then I doudt that they would have an operating 250 ton steam wrecker. In 1949 when that one was built diesel powered units were being built and lots more were converted from steam to diesels. All the diesels used twin Cummins HB series six cylinder or Cat engines. I worked along side a few diesel wreckers when I was going to train wrecks. They sure had the power in those old beasts. Here is one of the few realy good photos I have found of a steam powered "Big Hook" in use......

dain555
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:43:04 PM

Thanks guys for the great pictures!!! As a model railroader I had a rail crane (sadly it was lost 29 years ago) and have been waiting to get myself another for display/use.

Seeing the pictures reminds me of the smells from the old equipment like that!! When I was in the USAF we had a snow plow that used to sit a lot, we actually took it out one spring for a run from the base into Limestone, Maine to clear out any snow snow they could get an incoming shipment for the base.

The old plow was completely air powered which basically was the wings and track plow (under the unit which came down to clear the top of the rails and some in between the rails). The civilian operator and myself sat in a cupola type operators cab and it was pushed by the Locomotive down the tracks. It was at least 50 years old back in 1979-1981 when I was there.

The smell in some of these things is like walking into history with the smell of rotting wood and the rusting steel, the smell of coal smoke and oils/grease.

Thanks again for the memories and "smellmories"!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
SDBOB
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 10:25:54 AM

Thanks guys appreciate the photos. I remember them in Latrobe they were I believe 'oil' fired steam in the 50's.What about the 'technology' to make one.Lot of slide rule calculations.The smell and sound of them! I did see one on a siding about 8 yrs ago near New Castle Pa. The one crane I have just one small picture of is a 'double ended steam crane' That is a derrrick on each end for working in tunnels around new york.I am also a O gauge modeler and have 2 electronically operated wreck cranes.
Bobm2004
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 11:47:09 AM

An outstanding set of pictures!! I want one!! It would help with my gardening!!

I know I was poking around on the internet, or maybe it was from a forum post, but I watched a model railroader guy do a review of an O scale one of these. It had operating out riggers, rotated, boomed up and down, both hook blocks operated. It was a diesel version because it also had audio and a speaker built into it. It had a start up sequence, audio for rotation and the engine kicked into a higher RPM when the hook blocks were being used. It also had a tender car as well, again with audio. I remember thinking this was over the top.

Just a great post. That is some nice old iron!!

Bob
Bobs Cranes

Come Over To The Lift Side . . . . . . . We Have Cookies!!!!
dain555
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 2:01:50 PM

Bobm2004 wrote:
An outstanding set of pictures!! I want one!! It would help with my gardening!!

I know I was poking around on the internet, or maybe it was from a forum post, but I watched a model railroader guy do a review of an O scale one of these. It had operating out riggers, rotated, boomed up and down, both hook blocks operated. It was a diesel version because it also had audio and a speaker built into it. It had a start up sequence, audio for rotation and the engine kicked into a higher RPM when the hook blocks were being used. It also had a tender car as well, again with audio. I remember thinking this was over the top.

Just a great post. That is some nice old iron!!

I remember seeing that post and video also Bob!!!

Oh and Bob, you can't have oneShame on you Shame on you as we all know Mammoet does not own one so you wouldn't be able to repaint it that Red & Black you love so much!!!!Whistle Whistle Whistle d'oh! d'oh! Teeth Teeth

If anything you'd have to paint it Orange & Green and logo it BNSF!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

ulf
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 2:10:17 PM

Super thread, Tim. Cranes, railroads and (at one time) steam power - it just doesn't get much better. Another reason to visit Buffalo once again... Applause
dain555
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 2:18:59 PM

ulf wrote:
Super thread, Tim. Cranes, railroads and (at one time) steam power - it just doesn't get much better. Another reason to visit Buffalo once again... Applause

I have also been to both Steamtown and Lancaster (Pennsylvania Railroad Museum) they are both great places to visit!!!

Just remember ya'll, if you ever get to Lancaster, Pa. you HAVE to get some "Wet Bottom" Shoo Fly Pie, it's almost to die for!! In our terms here it would equate to being able to get in the operator's seat of a Bucyrus 8750 drag line and/or a Cat 797 for a drive!!!! The best place to get some is the place that has all the red cabooses and a diner car where they serve meals!!!!

Oh and there's even a big model railroad store there at the Pa railroad museum too!!!

Dain

Nova55
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 11:30:40 PM

California State RR Museum has an operating 250T Bucyrus, although I dont think it has been used in a few years. Theres a handful of 150T ones around as well, still running on steam, that are used occasionally. Theres quite a few that have been dieselized as well, mostly in mountainous areas.
LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:03:23 PM

Nice vintage machines Kruppt had some big ones, most HO trainsets had a cool crane and a tender car included !

TFS

I live in my own little world it's ok they know me here