DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

DHS Open House 2012 Options · View
admin
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:48:00 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi guys,

In our never-ending quest to change up the annual Open House event, we are asking for some advice. Now, I know this is just so tempting for some of you, but please try to remain focused and tell us what realistically we could do to make the weekend a better time for those who choose to visit us. I think we asked for some feedback earlier but I could not find the post...

What do you think of these ideas?

- Plan a Friday afternoon event? Perhaps a trip to visit somewhere interesting in our area (construction site, steel mill, etc).

- Plan a Saturday night event? After the auction is over, should we plan something for interested people to attend? Dinner?

- Create seminars for during the day for Sunday? Interesting topics?

- Other ideas?

Keep in mind that Open House this year is scheduled for July 28-29th! We are looking forward to this year's show - and already have planned some surprises!

Thanks.

Chuck
a Cutter
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:39:07 PM

Groups: Member

Those sound like good ideas Chuck.
I like the 'field trip' idea but see the potential for some pit falls.......no pun intended.
The seminar idea sounds good too especially if if have good/informative presentations.
However, I think perhaps building the seminars up around the auction on Saturday would maybe be more ideal.
I say that because of the only time I attended I was able to kill the bulk of Sunday talking with other guests, walking around the displays and eating hotdogs.
Though I can see where the seminars would help to round out and or add to the Sunday slot.

I personally wouldn't ever be likely to spend Friday through Sunday, as I did that once and it really added up, for me in food and lodging.......that's why I would even suggest something as onorthodxed as saying switch the auction to Friday and do the field trip and evening dinner (which I like that idea) to Saturday.
Of course I say this about the auction because for me it's of very little interest to attend.
I realize the auction is appealing to many who attend and provides proceeds to a charity but for me it's not the reason for me to make the trip to the open house.

Chris
Eric Pioszak
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:35:34 PM

Great ideas Chuck, Last time I was able to attend was when I was still in Michigan in '07, and it has been very hard to justify the trip from the left coast for a one day event!

I for one would be very interested in a steel mill tour, Something that most people would not be exposed to on a regular basis. surely any mill would have sufficient machinery to satisfy both the dirt and cookie crowds at any given time.

Eric W. Pioszak, Operating Engineers Local 701, Portland, Oregon

METAL TRACKS AVAILABLE AGAIN!
Cab guards Available again!
Grapples Available again!
Industrialscalemodels[at symbol]Gmail.com
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:52:15 PM

There is quite a large demo project going on right across from the airport, hard to tell from the rail tracks what kind of machines are there, but it is huge. Also wouldn't mind going to the Kokosing yard in Elyria :d/
Eric Pioszak
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 3:20:15 PM

kokosing Const Co wrote:
There is quite a large demo project going on right across from the airport, hard to tell from the rail tracks what kind of machines are there, but it is huge.

While it'd be fun, Demo projects are a huge liability, unlike standard construction sites, where the ground personel is protected by handrails, shoring, caution tape/fences etc, Demo most of the time is geared for machines, and workers orientated to the specific hazards of that job, not the average Joe off the street. Everywhere you turn there's unstable structures, hanging debris, a trip, impaling, fall, or crush hazard, Shy of closely accompanied prospective clients, investors or site owners the chance of getting a tour group on a demo job would be extremely slim.

Eric W. Pioszak, Operating Engineers Local 701, Portland, Oregon

METAL TRACKS AVAILABLE AGAIN!
Cab guards Available again!
Grapples Available again!
Industrialscalemodels[at symbol]Gmail.com
diecast_dirtboy
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 3:30:02 PM

Chuck,

All these idea sound great. Something extra would make it worth coming over for the whole weekend.

kokosing Const Co wrote:
....Also wouldn't mind going to the Kokosing yard in Elyria :d/

I agree with that...Cool

Keep us posted!
Colter
ddbcustommodels.com

Real men drive diesels!
cranedude07
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:39:51 PM

a field trip to the ALL yardDrool
when i went up in 2010, me and sal and vinny were planning on doing this, but it was raining, and after looking at the yard on google earth, no where to really get a good look at the stuff from outside the fenceConfused
id make the trip probably, if this was done. its a long trip for me just to go up and see a few dios and meet a few fellow members, which is great and all, but not really worth the drive just for that

these are some good ideas!

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
bigdan45322
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:01:37 PM

A steel mill would be a great learning experience but the fact that I work for one 40 + hrs a week throughs me off but to see how a competedor makes steel intreages me. Maybe they treat there workers better or what not. But it would be really cool if you got together with some one from let's say Ohio cat and had an open field and could alow members acces to operate machines that would be awsome.

Steel makes the world go round that is why I pride my self with the work I do. I am a proud steel mill worker.
Dan
drdcco
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:57:04 PM

A trip to All's yard or to a Kokosing facility sounds good. The saturday dinner after the auction would work ,and for sunday seminars or demonstrations on some tricks of the trade. I think that would help out with getting some of the younger crowd more involved in the hobby with both model building ,and dioramas.

Nothing is impossible,,just difficult....
admin
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:23:10 PM

Keep the ideas coming. We are going to consider everything that is posted here. So if there is something you would like to see happen, now is the time.

Thanks.

Chuck
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:06:58 AM

Eric Pioszak wrote:
kokosing Const Co wrote:
There is quite a large demo project going on right across from the airport, hard to tell from the rail tracks what kind of machines are there, but it is huge.

While it'd be fun, Demo projects are a huge liability, unlike standard construction sites, where the ground personel is protected by handrails, shoring, caution tape/fences etc, Demo most of the time is geared for machines, and workers orientated to the specific hazards of that job, not the average Joe off the street. Everywhere you turn there's unstable structures, hanging debris, a trip, impaling, fall, or crush hazard, Shy of closely accompanied prospective clients, investors or site owners the chance of getting a tour group on a demo job would be extremely slim.

Ah understandable...I would say the ALL idea sounds really good!

Maybe not so much the Kokosing yard in Elyria, there's really not much equipment in there but a lot of stuff painted orange! How about their asphalt plant in between Cleveland and Berea?

With my luck I won't be able to attend, rather go by in a train behind DHS, guess you could say I would be on the outside looking in. Confused
catjnky
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:26:17 AM

I for one don't really care for traveling anywhere or seeing any equipment as I work with it all day. I have been to every open house that DHS has had and the only thing that really interests me are the models. I would like to see a bigger display of all current models, at least one of each.
dain555
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:22:33 PM

There are a few things that come to mind for me. I have attended Model Railroad shows/sales and they have tons of things going on.

I think some demonstrations/seminars for things like,

1) Diorama building, including types of materials used
2) Model repainting, including all phases
3) Airbrush/sand blasting equipment, I know there are several different brands/types of airbrushes and also sand blasting stuff (useful to remove paint from models).

I also like the idea for the "operator for a day", where some equipment could be "donated" or rented for the day so some people can see what it's like to actually operate some equipment. You could get stuff like a Mini Excavator (as they work just like the big ones), a skidsteer with and without tracks, maybe a small frontend loader or stuff like that.

I think that "Field Trips" are good but also restrictive as to what and where you can take them (especially with fuel costs).

That's about all I have for now, oh unless you can do a Flea Market type thing too but I know that wouldn't be such a good business thing as people would not want to purchase things from you, so do not consider the Flea Market thing. *****Bad Brian, as I smack myselfThink Think Think

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
SDBOB
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:50:42 PM

The train shows we go to as a club display,some people want to know how you do things esp wiring and styrofoam scenery.Its nice to watch someone carve but its nicer to have hands on-piece to look at the carving/cutting of foam details. I think everyone is different in the way they approach carving. We all need confidence once in while.we use green,pink and blue foam, usually hand carved not heat carved.Low speed high torque. My 2cts.
hummer13
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:39:51 PM

How about scratch building seminar. Buckets and such, would not minding doing somthing like that just needto get time off and a plane ticket

Jason

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
admin
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:08:34 PM

All good ideas - I can see some threads developing now. Please believe me when I tell you that we will take ALL input before we make any decisions.

The good news is that the standard good parts of the Open House will not change. It will still be a great place to see old friends and catch up from the previous year. We will also have those delectable hot dogs ready for eating.

Thanks -keep the ideas coming.

Chuck
Shovelman
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:52:04 PM

Can you get "C" to do an entry/intermediate level styrene/brass presentation? I'll pay extra to attend that on Sunday!

With regard to those flying in on or before Friday and the idea of a trip; what could possibly be better than a trip to Lakeside? Larry's such a great guy, I'm sure he would welcome it.

Please use this before clicking "post"??? You may be surprised with what you see!

admin
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 7:56:50 PM

Hi guys,

John, Larry is out at the county fair and that is why he cannot make our Open House as the fair is scheduled for the same weekend as us.

Keep the ideas coming!

Chuck
diecast_dirtboy
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 11:13:06 AM

Not meaning to dig up an old thread, but any updates on the ideas or extras planned for the weekend?

Colter
ddbcustommodels.com

Real men drive diesels!
admin
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 12:00:14 PM

We have some new ideas - curious if anyone else would like to see changes to the weekend?

Chuck