DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

forestry equipment Options · View
cubanator
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 3:52:08 PM
Groups: Member

Wasn't going to reply but... In our state we have huge wildfires because of poor forest management, i.e no logging. Logging is a part of Forest Conservation and without it we will have a harder and harder time maintaining a healthy forest. There is hardly any Clear Cutting any more. Most harvests are thinning operations which increase spacing to allow the bigger healthier trees to have more of the limited nutrients in our poor soil... I could go on but I will save my written breaths...
prentissconstruction
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 8:36:51 PM

KVG123

Good day. I am not familiar with the forestry operations in Russia. However, my family has been in the forestry profession for the last 70 years. We manage our forest just like anyone would manage any other crop. Our area consist of two type of forestry operations. Hardwood and Softwood.

We deal 90% in softwood because of our soil and climate. Our tress reach an average adult maturity within 20-25 years and are ready for harvest.Our first thinning of trees usually occurs around 8-10 years of age . Trees in our operation are thinned based on the density of trees per acre so that the remaining trees have adequate sunlight and nutrients to meet the growth needs. Once we have our last cutting for a designated area, we immediately replant trees the following winter and start the process over. It is called sustainable forestry.

I doubt you will find any area in the US, Europe, Great Britian, Germany or Canada that does not operate in this fashion to achieve sustainable harvest techniques. In addition, the need is pressing that more forestry programs are certified that they do not harvest all trees at one time to minimize the impact on the eco system and allow the timber to being used in markets around the world. (this all relates to carbon credits for industry and wood pellets used to produced energy)

However, you will still find in many third world countries the process of clear cut in very sensitive eco systems. Those are the areas to be concerned; as entire eco systems are being eliminated along with chances to find plants for cures of the world disease.

Therefore, to make a broad comment that all the trees are harvested incorrectly is just not the true.

I wish more people would take time to educate themselves about both sides of every topic before jumping on a bandwagon. This is the reason all of our world is in the shape it is. No one wants to take the time to learn and understand. They just listen to mass media.. That goes for conservative and liberal.

Kindest Regards,
Keith
DumpsterToy
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 8:48:47 PM

Thanks to both of you-Cubanator and Prentiss Const- for the excellent reply to this JURK about clear cutting. I will not print what I think of his thought on clear cutting.

Dave Somers aka dumpster
KGV123
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 9:35:03 PM

Only one DUMB JURK here is u dumpster. Who nothing to say, and just trying to insult.
Maybe if u do all like u say prentissconstruction, that is ok. But 90% of forest company's break rules. And u also know it. No matter what country, what continent. "Money speaks" - thats it, clear and loud.
And all this forest fires, happens to cover evidences. No need to be a smatr one, to understand that i'm telling the true.

My collection: http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/umf2009/
prentissconstruction
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 10:24:22 PM

KGV123

Sad to see you think this is true that 90% break rules. I just can not agree with you on that. Again, I have been to third world countries and see lots of destruction and corruption. But in the US the forestry profession is under intense observation, that 90% are honest hard working people. Yes there are bad people in the industry, but that is the case in all industry and professions.

One has free will in there lift to do good or bad. That relates to work and learning.

Wish you were able to travel here so you could see for yourself that the forestry profession in the US is good.

Best Regards,
Keith
linkbelt290rb
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 11:05:30 PM

KGV123 wrote:
Yea u just show it too.
U telling me that u will wait 50 years before new trees will grow up - no, u so called farms expand rapidly.
This shows made for those who do not have brains, and can only watch tv to believe in anything what it shows.
And i do not need appreciate something.
Loggers are the true enviromentalists - sure, like butcher loves his home pats, same is here.
It's a endless talk.
I tried to use an example you would understand. My family has been logging for a very long time. We take care of the forests and in 10 years you would never be able to tell we were there. We do thinning because there is not much clear cut in New England. We are the ones out in the woods every day, taking care of our forests. If you spent 5 minutes doing some actual research you would learn there is nothing more healthy then logging for a forest. As others have said there is huge scrutiny over us as a profession. I would be surprised if 5% of loggers are corrupt. We are a very controlled industry. I have no idea the regulations in russia, but in North America, there are a lot of them. Please learn your facts before you comment.

Nothing runs like a deere with a cat on its back but the link belt ate both of them

Patrick C
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 11:05:37 PM

Just grow up and get over it!!!!

Patrick
cubanator
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 12:17:16 AM

KGV123 wrote:

And all this forest fires, happens to cover evidences. No need to be a smatr one, to understand that i'm telling the true.

Wow, what planet are you from? Think
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 1:17:28 AM

cubanator wrote:
KGV123 wrote:

Wow, what planet are you from? Think

PLANET RUSSIA!!
JTL
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 2:23:05 AM

In Russia, forest cuts you!

Are you an enviromentist, or do you work for a living?
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 7:32:55 PM

JTL wrote:
In Russia, forest cuts you!

True dat!! Lmao
max
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:43:41 AM

All right folks,
Let's get back to the main subject......
Not long ago, upon browsing, i came across this site
http://www.pbase.com/rustygrapple/rainforestrust
It is loaded with pictures of all kind of older logging Equipment, most of it not being used anymore.
I myself am not that big of a logging Equipment enthusiast but i really found that site interresting.
A must see for any Kenworth fanatic.
Regards.
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.
mkdco
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 1:37:38 AM

My forestry models do not cut down much and I have not had one start a fire as of yet ... But there is always a first.

Old growth or young with out it I don't work. And I kind of like living in my house that is built from the forest beats a tent at least this time of year in the north east.

linkbelt290rb
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 11:48:16 PM

Rusty Grapple has some amazing pictures! Love his work!

Nothing runs like a deere with a cat on its back but the link belt ate both of them

linkbelt290rb
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 12:54:07 PM

HCF
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 3:11:17 PM

max wrote:
All right folks,
Let's get back to the main subject......
Not long ago, upon browsing, i came across this site
http://www.pbase.com/rustygrapple/rainforestrust
It is loaded with pictures of all kind of older logging Equipment, most of it not being used anymore.
I myself am not that big of a logging Equipment enthusiast but i really found that site interresting.
A must see for any Kenworth fanatic.
Regards.
Max.

Eric is a walking encyclopedia on everything madill and thunderbird. I often post photos on Facebook and he comments asking who owns said machine because he knows it's history from when it left the factory. I was glad to meet him last year at the Oregon logging conference.

-Jason
YouTube
Timberline Thinning Company
My Photostream

KyleS
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 2:28:22 PM

My Sword Valmet 445EXL Harvester 1/50

"/>

"/>

"/>

"/>

"/>

This is not mine but it's a Drake Kenworth K200 and Sword Valmet 941 wheeled harvester

"/>

"/>

"/>

"/>

- Kyle