DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Heavy Haul Railroad style.... Options · View
TimT
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 10:29:49 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The massive new 1,000 plus ton capacity Schnabel Car built for Westinghouse has been commisioned and sent to south to Charlston, along with its sister, another 36 axle 880 ton Schnabel. The new car was built in New Castle PA by Kasgro. some pics from the net.....They will be used to move nuclear power station vessels for the current US projects.

tomd
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 11:26:45 PM
Groups: Member

The WECX 801 (blue one) should be in Charleston by now, and will be used to move components from the port to the two new nuclear reactors now under construction at the V. C. Sumner plant in South Carolina near Jenkinsville. This car has a capacity of 1,000 tons.

The WECX 800 (red one) should be in Savannah by now, and will be used to move components from the port to the two new nuclear reactors now under construction at the Alvin W Vogtle Electric Plant, near Waynesboro, GA. This car has a capacity of 800 tons.

Both of these cars can lift the load and move the load horizontal to work around obstacles that can not be moved along the route.

Bigge has built one 125D AFRD crane at each construction site. The cranes sit between each reactor building.

Both can be seen on google maps

Sumner looks to be just about complete

Vogle not quite complete

Photos on the Geogia Power web site show the construction progress

More photos of these and other schnabel cars on my website

joepipefitter
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:33:40 AM

amazing pics, thanks for sharing.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results - Albert Einstein
DeWoc19
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:38:34 AM

hell yeah, thats fricken awesome man! that thing is a beast.... to bad theirs a nasty ole CSX in that picture, those engines sure are ugly!!!

that Schnabel car she is a beauty though, i would love to be on the train pulling that bad boy
Gary
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:39:01 AM

Here is a vid of these moving towards Charleston and Savannah for loading.

Meet The Schnabels

Top allowable speed 15 mph.
Gd10r
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:10:27 AM

WOW really amazing, hopefully there will be video of them loaded as well, the photo with the person walking in front really gave it a scale for me. Huge and amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Still Plays with Toys
AlvinB
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:56:51 AM

Interesting. If the 1000 ton one is indeed in Charleston, it will pass about 15' outside my office window at some point. We're right on the tracks that lead to the port, about two miles outside of it. I'll be on the lookout for that beast!

The beatings will continue until Morale improves......
DeWoc19
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:02:51 PM

awesome video, i just love to see those Schnabel cars rolling down the tracks, they are just so unusual looking and huge..... even better when they are loaded and at least this time they were being pulled by a better looking engine!!!
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 1:12:08 PM

Huge fan of the Schnabel cars. Thank you for sharing.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

SDBOB
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:37:48 AM

Thanks Tim. I couldn't bring up your pics after right clicking. Went to their website that car 'looks' like the KRUPP car.Type in-CEBX800 OR WECX800.Its only 889 ton though! I have various pics of that car. Our train club was at Kennywood for the holidays and a guy gave me his card and said email me and he would send me pics of a new massive flat car his business was working on. Firgot about it till now-hmmm I'll send him mail. Thanks Bob.
dain555
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:55:37 PM

Tim, that is nasty showing this stuff!! Now the other half wants one for her N scale railroad and I did actually find one for $165 but you also have to get the trucks for it (no wheels). I also found HO scale Schnabel cars for about $230 with the trucks!!!

Bad, bad Tim, but the pics are awesome and as said he guy in the one definitely brings it to scale!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Airwolf
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:54:03 PM

back when i miodeled in HO scale i made this car, unloaded it was over 3 feet long, loaded over 5 feet long.

i still have it around here someplace in a box

the cebx 800 was stored in duluth mn next to lake superior for 25 years and earlier this year left taking all its components (containers etc) with it

totally massive car, i bet the 1000 ton version is a little better, cant wait to see it.

SDBOB
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 2:03:14 PM

Thanks Tim For the pictures. Seeing the CEBX car in use with a long heavy load on a curve is beyond belief.Check the pics on the sight I gave. You would think the weight would roll the car over.
Gary just noticed your video-geez thanks. Awsome both together.I live 1 mile form the NS main through Latrobe Pa.Rarely do I get the oversize loads on film.How diid you know where to be at the right time esp with those cars?